Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times

Advertisements

Home ownership?
Having a diploma, degree?
Living on your own with a steady means of non-government provided income?
Married w/ children?
Being a parent?
Being able to legally buy booze/marijuana [in applicable state(s) of course]?
Being able to vote?
Pretty much debt free, paying bills on time?
Do you have to be effectively managing some sort of responsibility in life to be an adult?
Does it mean not being imprisoned/confined in a correctional/psych facility?

...or is it more to it?

Is it congruency of thought and action, both of which are productive and "responsible?"
Is it steadiness and trustworthiness?
Is it an absence of volatility and labile emotions?
Is it having a high social/emotional IQ?
Is it effectively carrying out an authoritative role (personally and professionally)?

Is it possible for someone who has lived in their mom's house for nearly their entire lives and never been married or a parent on government assistance to be more (if that's possible) of an ADULT than someone who is a homeowner, married with kids and employed?

Is it being over 18?
Over 21?

Based on behavior and effectiveness regarding responsibility, is it possible for a married homeowner whose a parent and is 30+ to still be viewed as a child instead of an adult?

What makes YOU an Adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Being an adult means you are of an age where you are capable and able to make decisions on your own. It means taking responsibility for those decisions, and correcting the wrong ones yourself...without expecting others to cut you any slack.
It doesn't matter where you live, or if you've married or not...once you're full grown you are an adult...what you do as an adult might show how responsible (or irresponsible) you are, but either way...you're still an adult.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
“It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.” - Pablo Picasso

Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Responsibility

Owning up to your mistakes

Not depending on others to pick you up when you fall

Being able to admit to being wrong

Treating others in the same way that you wish to be treated.

I have a long way to go in some respects. I don't believe you can put a specific age on it as people nature differently.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times
I agree with the above posters but I would add that to me being an adult is being able to support yourself financially and take care of things without the assistance of familial support.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Responsible.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Being an adult means that you are aware that you and you alone, independently create your own reality. You know longer look to enjoy the protection and umbrella that your parents have provided. You know longer feel the necessity to follow others your age because of peer pressure. You embrace and prefer this state of independent being.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
Being an adult is presenting yourself to the world with all of your strengths, and your vulnerabilities, regardless of any insecurities you might feel you have. Being an adult we have set foot on the battlefield of life, and have only our personal resources for defense. Responsibility, and consequence both become a major impetus in most all of our decisions, and sometimes in failing to accomplish goals we set for ourselves, we must avoid self-pity, and continue on with our life. Being an adult secures us great freedom, and power in this world, but with that power, and freedom we must always assume responsibility for our actions.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I agree with the above posters but I would add that to me being an adult is being able to support yourself financially and take care of things without the assistance of familial support.
I think that's what everyone wants...but even if you do need "familial support", it doesn't mean you're not an adult...maybe just not a content one.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
To me, the only criterion is being at least 21. That's when most legal age restrictions no longer apply to a person (here in the States, at least). You can't run for president and you'll still have to pay a bit extra if you rent a car at 21, but you're completely immersed in the world of adulthood in so much as you have both complete freedom and complete accountability.

All those other things you've listed are qualities of a RESPONSIBLE adult, but not just being an adult in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology