Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM

288 posts, read 202,088 times

Advertisements

I have been good friends with the groom for over 4 years which he and the bride said I was invited to the wedding ceremony. I was surprised as a registry office is usually small so was please to be asked. The bride asked if I had my invitation which I said no and she said the groom had them but will need to bring it out when he sees me.

A few months went by so I heard nothing. I messaged the groom asking what the arrangements were and he said speak to the bride. The bride said I could only go to the reception as there was no room as the ceremony. I accepted this as it is their wedding day but I don't know why they backtracked.

I felt upset as all of our friends went to the ceremony except me, even acquaintances went who he has not known that long. One friend made it worse telling me there were 2 empty rows of seats which was visible on the photos.

The bride was quite insecure when we first met asking me why I didn't like her and that she needs to be accepted and was trying to intimidate me. I did not dislike her at all and don't know why she thought this but she was paranoid as the groom initially liked me before he met her and he told her this. I did not like the groom romantically so she had nothing to worry about.

At the wedding reception she would briefly see me saying we haven't had chance to speak and would run off so I knew she was avoiding me. I feel now that these people are not friends. Should I say something or cut ties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 02:02 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,602 times
It doesn't sound as though your "friends" are really friends. The mysteriously "lost" invitation due to possible jealousy and hiding when you try to speak to her? And no support from the groom whom you've been friends with for 4 years? Cut ties and move on.

Last edited by Gretchen963; 02-06-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 02:13 PM

636 posts, read 393,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
Should I say something or cut ties?
People are quite interesting.

"People aren't communicating with me, thus I don't understand the situation. Should I communicate with them?"

YES
Not communicating, as you see, leads to confusion.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
A quick scan of your posting history shows a LOT of interpersonal problems in your dealings with others. Could it be a communication issue on your part?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Let it be.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
I got a story for the OP:

A few years ago, I knew this couple that were about to get married, and since I knew the groom for 10 years, (strong acquaintances, not real friends) and I knew the bride for about a year, (her and I became besties) I knew i was a shoe-in for the wedding...or so I thought!

The bride actually ended up cheating on the groom RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.(this happened 4 months into their engagement) At first, she only told me about what she has done with this co-worker and i advise to her is to come clean to her man but she kept her "affair" going. Everytime I saw the groom, I couldn't look him in his eyes. I figured i should not step in; it was her responsibility to come clean. A few weeks later, she ended up holding hands with the other man right in front of me. I basically told her that I was in It a rough spot so either she tells him or I would. The following week, she said that she told him about the affair.

When it was time to pass out the invites, I didn't get one. I was hella pissed and shocked as hell. Instead of confronting them like a man, i was a passive-aggressive wuss. From that point on, the friendship that i had with them was gone.

It sucks not to be invited to the wedding especially since you know the groom for 4 years. My advice is to confront them, because if you don't, this uninvite may haunt you for a while as you may have unresolved issues. I wish i could go back in time and ask them how come i didn't get an invite. My best guess is that she didnt really tell him about her affair and it was her idea not to invite me. It sucks that they didn't invite you and are avoiding you like cowards but i think you need to get this off your chest.

Please, OP, update us on what happens!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:08 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
I never heard of people being invited to the ceremony? Typically anyone who wants to go goes and then one needs to be invited to the reception. Unless it was a destination wedding, but this seems strange to me regardless. If this is how they are going to act then they are not your friends. Move on.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 AM

602 posts, read 396,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I never heard of people being invited to the ceremony? Typically anyone who wants to go goes and then one needs to be invited to the reception.
uh no, it's extremely common to need an invite to both.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
uh no, it's extremely common to need an invite to both.
Yeah, any invitation I've ever received was for the ceremony, with a place and time specified. If you were also invited to the reception, that info was included too.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 AM

454 posts, read 311,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I got a story for the OP:

A few years ago, I knew this couple that were about to get married, and since I knew the groom for 10 years, (strong acquaintances, not real friends) and I knew the bride for about a year, (her and I became besties) I knew i was a shoe-in for the wedding...or so I thought!

The bride actually ended up cheating on the groom RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.(this happened 4 months into their engagement) At first, she only told me about what she has done with this co-worker and i advise to her is to come clean to her man but she kept her "affair" going. Everytime I saw the groom, I couldn't look him in his eyes. I figured i should not step in; it was her responsibility to come clean. A few weeks later, she ended up holding hands with the other man right in front of me. I basically told her that I was in It a rough spot so either she tells him or I would. The following week, she said that she told him about the affair.

When it was time to pass out the invites, I didn't get one. I was hella pissed and shocked as hell. Instead of confronting them like a man, i was a passive-aggressive wuss. From that point on, the friendship that i had with them was gone.

It sucks not to be invited to the wedding especially since you know the groom for 4 years. My advice is to confront them, because if you don't, this uninvite may haunt you for a while as you may have unresolved issues. I wish i could go back in time and ask them how come i didn't get an invite. My best guess is that she didnt really tell him about her affair and it was her idea not to invite me. It sucks that they didn't invite you and are avoiding you like cowards but i think you need to get this off your chest.

Please, OP, update us on what happens!
Are they still married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships