Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:38 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,552,734 times

Advertisements

Nevermind, boring post in retrospect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I thought it was an interesting post

Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,356,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post

I thought this was an interesting topic.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:32 PM

461 posts, read 509,924 times
I have a coworker who feels the need to explain everything in minute detail. And then you will hear her tell the same minute details to the next worker. Get to the point already! I am impatient as it is and dislike long drawn out stories etc... Or people who pause a lot when they talk like they are trying to find the right word.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,898,648 times
Well I have known a couple people like this and it is tiring, that is for sure. In my experience it comes from people who are socially anxious and a little...flighty. Like maybe they are explaining things outloud because they forgot to just talk to themselves in their head.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
Maybe they're the type of people who believe the old adage that "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself"...thus they have a level of distrust and feel the need to explain in fine detail almost everything...especially anything that you're doing for or with them.
Sometimes it's a result of past bad experiences....when things went wrong, possibly because of lack of communication.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Well, okay, then--*pulls up a chair*

The type of person who will, for example, invite you to a party, then feel the need to explain how there will be music, food, and lots of people. They may even throw in that it's an Xmas party, as it's that time of year and people are off work that week...

Or they might mention that they had to pay tolls during a long road trip, and then proceed to tell you what toll booths are and how they work. I had a guy once explain to an engineer how to engineer something. With absolutely not a drop of self-awareness.

I was wondering how others handle this sort of person. I will personally cut the person off as they begin the unnecessary explanation and inform them politely 'Yes, I know *insert whatever*', then give them a look of 'continue on with the conversation'.

Some get offended, and I find it impossible to care. My engineer friend was a bit taken aback by one particular person, and I personally find it offensive to explain everything as if you assume the person does not know whatever common, everyday thing you're trying to pontificate on.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I have a coworker who feels the need to explain everything in minute detail. And then you will hear her tell the same minute details to the next worker. Get to the point already! I am impatient as it is and dislike long drawn out stories etc... Or people who pause a lot when they talk like they are trying to find the right word.

*tosses you a beer*

Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe they're the type of people who believe the old adage that "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself"...thus they have a level of distrust and feel the need to explain in fine detail almost everything...especially anything that you're doing for or with them.
Sometimes it's a result of past bad experiences....when things went wrong, possibly because of lack of communication.
No, I'm fine with this. I do this when dealing with people of questionable intellect. What I mean is someone telling you to keep an eye on a stove because the meat might burn, which would then set off the fire alarm. The meat would be burned into the pan,which they mayor may not go get to physically illustrate the point. They'll remind you to flip the steak over at some point because it needs to have heat on both sides, because, you know,they assume you've never seen a stove before.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM

922 posts, read 793,706 times
My husband does this. He turns a light on for me and says "I turned on the light for you." He reads all the signs when we are driving. He can't just tell a story like "I saw Bob at the store today." It is more like a running commentary- "I turned into the parking lot at the store because I needed to buy milk and there was a blue truck that turned in front of me. I walked down the bread aisle to get to the milk, and there was an old lady talking to another old lady so I had to go around them. I got to the milk and one was on sale so I bought that. On my way to the checkout, I saw this guy in a green shirt that looked familiar but I didn't know him. Then on my way out I ran into Bob, who was coming to the store to buy some screws for the new deck he is building for his house on Elm St, where he lives with his wife, Linda and their four kids, I don't remember all of their names, maybe Joe, Sally, Ed and Sue? Oh no, not Sue, must be Karen or something."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships