Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:45 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You realize you are talking about some elderly woman living out the end of her days in a retirement community right?

This isn't some guy a couple of cubicles down, the sales clerk at Macy's, the insurance guy, or anyone else in the prime of their lives.
You're clearly confusing firmness with rudeness. Nowhere at any point did I yell at them or use profanity.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:48 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You're clearly confusing firmness with rudeness. Nowhere at any point did I yell at them or use profanity.
"Absolutely not!" is rude, no matter how convoluted your rationalization might be.

Again, you keep creating threads that speak to your confusion on how to deal with people, then you want to argue with people with better social antennae than you.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Old folks are like anyone else, you don't check their behavior at the door so they can get correct, it will only bring more BS down the line.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Old folks are like anyone else, you don't check their behavior at the door so they can get correct, it will only bring more BS down the line.
Again, you post one thread after another bemoaning your inability to have strong relationships in your life then, without a hint of self-awareness, you write things such as this. Have you ever considered the link between one and the other?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Again, you keep creating threads that speak to your confusion on how to deal with people, then you want to argue with people with better social antennae than you.
Ha! One time not too long ago, I even offered to meet the granddaughter as a friend, rather than as a future husband; all in a warm, polite tone. The lady declined with a simple "no, thank you". While I didn't push for an explanation, her refusal seemed like somewhat of a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I reluctantly agree. While I'm willing to give elderly persons a pass for lots of things, refusing to take "no" for an answer isn't one of them. Especially for things like becoming someone's husband. (Here come MinivanDriver's accusations again. )

Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
OK, look. I've had to tell elderly people to mind their own business before. I didn't enjoy having to do it. One time I was in the hospital waiting room and an older lady asked me in a loud voice "What are you here for?" It was none of her business, not something I wanted to announce to the entire waiting room. My husband thought I was "being mean to her" by refusing to tell her. Hey, that's life. If anything, an older person should know better by the time they get to that age.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Ha! One time not too long ago, I even offered to meet the granddaughter as a friend, rather than as a future husband; all in a warm, polite tone. The lady declined with a simple "no, thanks". While I didn't push for an explanation, that felt like somewhat of a red flag.
What? So these old folks are asking you to meet their grands with the express and sole purpose of immediate marriage, as in "I'd like you to meet her, but only if you're willing to marry her' ? They actually come out and say that? Sorry, but I don't believe that for a minute. I think you are seriously misreading or misunderstanding them.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
To the OP, have you ever checked-out any of these granddaughters? You may have been missing some good opportunities. They might not be any more interested in marriage than you, but would have an inclination for some mutually-agreeable action of a less-enduring sort.

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Again, you post one thread after another bemoaning your inability to have strong relationships in your life then, without a hint of self-awareness, you write things such as this. Have you ever considered the link between one and the other?
Yes, I know since I'm not willing to go along to get along and let people walk all over me like some here are willing to do that is going to repel people which is fine by me anyway.

Quote:
Ha! One time not too long ago, I even offered to meet the granddaughter as a friend, rather than as a future husband; all in a warm, polite tone. The lady declined with a simple "no, thank you". While I didn't push for an explanation, her refusal seemed like somewhat of a red flag.

I reluctantly agree. While I'm willing to give elderly persons a pass for lots of things, refusing to take "no" for an answer isn't one of them. Especially for things like becoming someone's husband. (Here come MinivanDriver's accusations again. )
Look, just because a fellow misanthrope agrees with you doesn't make you right. You both post untold numbers of posts here magnifying trivial offense one time, then wondering why you don't have a relationship the next. Seems like a clearcut pattern to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships