Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

I am viewing something quite disturbing with the interactions of people on forums.....oh, say within the past four or five years….or so.

I've commented before, about how utterly ugly some people get, and resort to personal attacks, but there is something much deeper.

What I find very disturbing is the lack of common sense....meaning, these posters actually hate someone for their beliefs, and certainly don’t waste any time showing that hate. And they usually register in more than one name….just to appear to have more power. But they all stick together, regardless…and use each other, actually feed off each other....to discredit others who don't agree with them. Complete strangers! And yet, you must be attacking them through your post?

Have you found, no matter what you post, regarding the subject matter, there is always someone who comes in and not only disagrees, which is fine, we all have a right to our opinion, but how quickly people become offended, by a complete stranger...and when someone comes back explaining why they feel the way they feel, then the attacks start, and they attempt to act like they know you...as a personal friend or acquaintance and you must be attacking them by your comments. I mean, they actually take your post personal...?

They act like you are addressing them and only them....and get so thoroughly nasty, they start dishing out personal attacks, all b/c they disagree....

I never saw so much of this going on before as I do now. Before it seemed like total strangers came together and were able to discuss issues, situations, politics, behavior patterns, etc....like adults.....the total lack of respect for themselves

Oh, and then you have those who love to join in the attacks....and lie in waiting like a tiger, stalking its prey....and the moment someone starts an attack, BOOM, the other one comes in, and then another. Their only posts are to condemn, to be negative....b/c they are offended by you?

Then the snide remarks, those mockingly childish idiotic one liners that add nothing to the conversation but insults, and disarray, trying to temp the author to not only defend their comments, but to argue with them, for the sole purpose of getting the thread shut down.

And take note, it’s always the same ones….why my goodness, you must be attacking them personally when you mention something that they don’t agree with?

Oh, and then there are the "mean ugly comments", to use as a diversion….it is obvious, they are taking your posts personal…to the point of ganging up on you and trying to tear you apart.

It is a form of "gang mentality" designed to intimidate, enhance their own views. It feeds their own ego…and their fundamental goal is to feed off of each other, while trying to break down the individual poster...

Have you noticed the rise in crime....people screaming, "Take away the guns" and yet, the guns are not doing the killings, it's always the people behind the guns.

There is also a rise in violence, all over the world...mass murders....etc...What is going on, why so much mental illness, hate?

Yes, forums are not for the weak…you start a thread, about anything, and sooner or later, you’ll have someone come in developing a retaliation, b/c they feel you are talking directly to them, and they have to defend their stance. But instead of discussing the issue like a grown up, they resort to acting like a bully. The saddest part of that is, they have children, and pass on those nasty traits…so will society grow into a violent one?

I’m presently watching Genius, which is the story of Albert Einstein…and the politics behind his timing…it was the time when Hitler was rising to power, and no one ever thought, he’d grow to be so popular followers, but he did…

There are several points within, this story, and this thread, but has anyone closely been watching society, in America, and the decline of it, the decline of knowledge….the decline of basic common sense….and the decline of respect for laws….the ability to look deeper within a subject and ask questions, the ability to allow, and worst of all, the ability to understand the need for laws and way?

All these things fall into behavior patterns, and can either enhance society or tear it down….b/c it is slowly passed down thru generations....and starts to grow.

And our politicians seem to be doing nothing but encouraging it? Don't they.

I mean, take a look at the way Doctors, scientists and the Media, linked together to outlaw smoking, and yet, there are still all kinds of cancers growing with in our younger populations....and growing at an alarming rate. Cancer is now a huge lucrative business....and they can no longer blame it on smoking b/c the scale of cancer is at an all time high. Is anyone asking themselves why?

We have not progressed as a society, but sadly regressed. There are no simple discussions it seems, for as long as people take offense to the beliefs of others, there will always be wars….conflict and the threat of lawlessness, along with a breakdown of behavioral patterns that enhance society.

Then every once in a while someone comes along and posts an awesome post, that delves deeper into the thoughts of yours, and sheds some light on the subject, be it they agree or not….and makes it all worthwhile. To those posters I say, a great big Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to explain and delve into something much deeper adding to the conversation….from their points of view, which gifts a hope for society and for progress. Encourages and not hinders....that to me, is the bigger picture of it all...

I fear, our nation is losing intelligence and the ability to common sense, allowance, and discussion....we're becoming a nation of conflict, why is that do you think?

There isn't just one reason, but many....what are your thoughts....

Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Well it's obviously a complex set of issues you present and there are a number of factors involved. I could narrow it down to a couple of things for simplicity's sake and present an incomplete picture of what I think is behind much of what you're observing. It would be easy to dismiss it as the consequences of internet anonymity, and that does indeed play a part. That and the intertwining of the internet and the news media, the advent of cable news and the 24 hour news cycle, as well as an increased sophistication in our political rhetoric and propaganda the likes of which we have not seen since the first half of the 20th century. The kind of sophistication that led to the Bolshevik revolution and the rise of fascism. We're not quite at that point yet but we're travelling down that road for sure, and it's not one party or the other that is doing it, it's a group effort

CNN changed us forever and not for the better. The internet provided the anonymity that is an obvious factor in all of this and a new sort of sophistication was added to our rhetoric around the time of the Clinton administration. The sort of gentle mockery of and condescension towards his opposition was designed to both persuade and enflame as well as leaving the opposition feeling humiliated in a way that would guarantee escalation and attempts at retribution. Once that ball gets rolling it very tough to stop it.

We've seen that escalation continue over the years and we've seen it play out on cable news networks as well as on the internet. Then you add Fox News to the mix with its conservative bias and that gave the rest of the media outlets, which were mostly left leaning, their excuse to be more open and naked about their own biases. Then you have the comedic political news shows with their scathing and extremely one sided mockery of one particular political class and you have the social justice warrior phenomena that sets out to provide real world consequences(often taking the form of destroying people's careers and businesses) for disagreeing with their views on the internet. Put all that together and you can see how the animosity level has reached where it is now and how the backlash towards this sort of thing has led us to the president we have now. The question is how far does it end up going, and I don't think we're going to like the answers to that question.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Uncle Bully Well it's obviously a complex set of issues you present and there are a number of factors involved. I could narrow it down to a couple of things for simplicity's sake and present an incomplete picture of what I think is behind much of what you're observing. It would be easy to dismiss it as the consequences of internet anonymity, and that does indeed play a part. That and the intertwining of the internet and the news media, the advent of cable news and the 24 hour news cycle, as well as an increased sophistication in our political rhetoric and propaganda the likes of which we have not seen since the first half of the 20th century. The kind of sophistication that led to the Bolshevik revolution and the rise of fascism. We're not quite at that point yet but we're travelling down that road for sure, and it's not one party or the other that is doing it, it's a group effort
hmmmm you've sparked my inquisitive nature here...thank you, yes, your right in this paragraph, as there are many factors and I do appreciate your input....I do believe as you, that technology has added to the problem and do see it rearing its ugly head. and yes, it is certainly more then one party that is obvious, but why do you think? What is their agenda for doing so, for dividing us?

Quote:
CNN changed us forever and not for the better. The internet provided the anonymity that is an obvious factor in all of this and a new sort of sophistication was added to our rhetoric around the time of the Clinton administration. The sort of gentle mockery of and condescension towards his opposition was designed to both persuade and enflame as well as leaving the opposition feeling humiliated in a way that would guarantee escalation and attempts at retribution. Once that ball gets rolling it very tough to stop it.
Yes, I've noted that...the gentle mockery of and condescention you speak of, is absolute...I've noted that since I've taken in interest in politics, which was back before the Bush campaign. Or at least when I began to become aware. I also think that college professors are a part of this. Which brings another thought to mind...it seems to me, and perhaps I'm wrong, that our society is becoming less intellectual and more barbaric in nature?

Quote:
We've seen that escalation continue over the years and we've seen it play out on cable news networks as well as on the internet. Then you add Fox News to the mix with its conservative bias and that gave the rest of the media outlets, which were mostly left leaning, their excuse to be more open and naked about their own biases. Then you have the comedic political news shows with their scathing and extremely one sided mockery of one particular political class and you have the social justice warrior phenomena that sets out to provide real world consequences(often taking the form of destroying people's careers and businesses) for disagreeing with their views on the internet. Put all that together and you can see how the animosity level has reached where it is now and how the backlash towards this sort of thing has led us to the president we have now. The question is how far does it end up going, and I don't think we're going to like the answers to that question.
yes, like the recent Bill O'Reily Scandal and firing....

Your points are all on target, thank you for sharing...

What is their agenda and purpose for doing this....?

Have you noted that for the year 2017, we're surely not as far along intellectually as we should be....
There is a stagnation in knowledge? Keeping us uninformed...or informing us to the level that they want us informed.

And it was all so much more evident during this last election, wasn't it. So evident....and yet, people refuse or fear or both, seeing it. Well actually, I suppose a lot more people see it, then what they thought, but don't know what to do about it.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
hmmmm you've sparked my inquisitive nature here...thank you, yes, your right in this paragraph, as there are many factors and I do appreciate your input....I do believe as you, that technology has added to the problem and do see it rearing its ugly head. and yes, it is certainly more then one party that is obvious, but why do you think? What is their agenda for doing so, for dividing us?

Yes, I've noted that...the gentle mockery of and condescention you speak of, is absolute...I've noted that since I've taken in interest in politics, which was back before the Bush campaign. Or at least when I began to become aware. I also think that college professors are a part of this. Which brings another thought to mind...it seems to me, and perhaps I'm wrong, that our society is becoming less intellectual and more barbaric in nature?

yes, like the recent Bill O'Reily Scandal and firing....

Your points are all on target, thank you for sharing...

What is their agenda and purpose for doing this....?

Have you noted that for the year 2017, we're surely not as far along intellectually as we should be....
There is a stagnation in knowledge? Keeping us uninformed...or informing us to the level that they want us informed.

And it was all so much more evident during this last election, wasn't it. So evident....and yet, people refuse or fear or both, seeing it. Well actually, I suppose a lot more people see it, then what they thought, but don't know what to do about it.

In regards to our intellectualism there are again a number of factors, one being more of an ideological/political emphasis towards our educational system. Another is that we have lost much of the formality in our culture and language. That formality almost required a certain amount of intellectualism and sophistication just to get by in your day to day interactions and social events. Modern culture is definitely getting cruder and with that crudeness we have an ability to get by with a more base set of manners and speech. Is it deliberate or just a natural progression?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
In regards to our intellectualism there are again a number of factors, one being more of an ideological emphasis towards and a politicizing of our educational system. Another is that we have lost much of the formality in our culture and language. That formality almost required a certain amount of intellectualism and sophistication just to get by in your day to day interactions and social events. Modern culture is definitely getting cruder and with that crudeness we have an ability to get by with a more base set of manners and speech. Is it deliberate or just a natural progression?
In answering your question, I don't know...however, who as it that said,

"expressing yourself using foul language only shows how small the garden is regarding a grasp of intellectual skills & self expression".

and crime is added into that equation as well.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-02-2017 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 AM

I recently posted a thread about the White House wanting once again to establish a punishment for burning the flag.

A lot of people bought up a great points in that thread, however, they were missing my point I was trying to make.....

years ago, we would have never thought about doing such a thing, it wasn't in our DNA, so to speak (lol) nor was opening the gun cabinet, and taking a gun....it just wasn't done.

the same with running red lights....people were more in tune with obeying laws, and respected themselves, hence, respected others and the thoughts of others.

I also saw and read how in order to push certain agendas, they actually "pay" research scientists to write papers on their behalf....and make false claims.

I remember reading a lot about the nuclear tests, back in the what? 40's, and stating how then, they didn't realize the horrid can of worms they were opening. That the nuclear fall out from those tests, will stay in the ground for many years to come and cause so much sickness within many generations to follow...now look at all the cancers, and the orphans diseases. Not to mention, the toxins in our everyday lives. I remember a teacher saying how that fallout landed on the grass, and our cows eating the grass, and it ending up in milk, in our beef, chickens, etc. Same with all the chemicals we ingest.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-02-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I recently posted a thread about the White House wanting once again to establish a punishment for burning the flag.

A lot of people bought up a great points in that thread, however, they were missing my point I was trying to make.....

years ago, we would have never thought about doing such a thing, it wasn't in our DNA, so to speak (lol) nor was opening the gun cabinet, and taking a gun....it just wasn't done.

the same with running red lights....people were more in tune with obeying laws, and respected themselves, hence, respected others and the thoughts of others.

I also saw and read how in order to push certain agendas, they actually "pay" research scientists to write papers on their behalf....and make false claims.

I remember reading a lot about the nuclear tests, back in the what? 40's, and stating how then, they didn't realize the horrid can of worms they were opening. That the nuclear fall out from those tests, will stay in the ground for many years to come and cause so much sickness within many generations to follow...now look at all the cancers, and the orphans diseases. Not to mention, the toxins in our everyday lives.

The guns are a good point. The second amendment is nothing new but the mass shootings at least appear to be a newer phenomena. If it is real and not just a product of the 24 hour cable news cycle then there is a definite change in our culture that has led to this sort of shooting becoming more commonplace. People are more interested in restricting gun rights than at getting to the bottom of whatever that change might be though.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 AM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
True friend. Intelligence,or lack of.
Yes it will get worse. There's a book that predicts the world and the way it's going.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The guns are a good point. The second amendment is nothing new but the mass shootings at least appear to be a newer phenomena. If it is real and not just a product of the 24 hour cable news cycle then there is a definite change in our culture that has led to this sort of shooting becoming more commonplace. People are more interested in restricting gun rights than at getting to the bottom of whatever that change might be though.
Absolutely, and that to was predicted many years ago, that they would go after our guns.

I think there is a definite change in our culture, that has been slowly creeping up on us...subliminal for lack of a better word...over the past 50 years. Maybe longer? It was pretty drastic to have had Kennedy, Bobby and MLK shot....

it all falls into place....doesn't it....and people no longer ask questions....they simply accept everything they hear and read as gospel....

Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
True friend. Intelligence,or lack of.
Yes it will get worse. There's a book that predicts the world and the way it's going.
do you remember the name of the book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships