Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:20 PM

23 posts, read 21,550 times

Advertisements

This situation has brought me a lot of anxiety at work and I also didn't get the reason why these things have happened. Please shed some light on it if you can.
I have this male coworker (younger than me, so I expected some form of respect) that i had to work with closely for a while. He, at first, said that I made him better at his job with my professional experience and approach, which was polite of him. Then he got very competitive, he would always want to do what i was doing, unfriendly, quite rude. Still, because I am older, and (supposedly) wiser, I treated him professionally. Because I had met his girlfriend some time before, I also had the opportunity to offer her an amazing job, better pay and hours, you name it. After this favor, he became even more rude, ignoring me, not making eye contact, taking the other door when I was there..you name it. This went on for a very long time until one day I decided to confront him and tell him that this behaviour was unprofessional. I asked him why he was behaving this way, to which he answered that I was the one who started being cold to him. I don't remember being cold, though, we just stopped working together after a while.
He would join my conversations with other coworkers to ignore me on purpose and other unecessary things.
What's your take on this? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 04:30 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
It's hard to divine someone's issues, whom we don't know. I think the bit about you making him better at his job was just a line. It doesn't sound genuine; he sounds like he could be a guy used to schmoozing people, manipulating them. Some people just have a chip on their shoulder; they want to be the one who shines and gets accolades, and he couldn't do that with you around, since he's new, you have more experience and rank, etc.

That doesn't explain the rudeness; maybe it's just immaturity, and he's miffed because he can't claim center stage (not that you do, but he may feel that you're in his way). I would chalk it up to young male ego, and his inability to swallow being under, or sharing an office with, female authority.

I'm drawing on experience with a couple of individuals I've encountered in life, as I try to interpret your situation. Are you a supervisor? Or on you on good terms with a supervisor? I think at this point, the behavior has continued long enough, and is egregious enough, that you should mention it. Someone should bring it up in his performance evaluation. It really is inappropriate.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-08-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 04:36 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,717,577 times
I would talk to the manager or HR about his behavior.

The motive behind it is irrelevant at this point, IMO.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:53 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,187 times
He's a co worker, you're not his superior. He's not doing anything thats really out of line. He doesnt have to like you. If he's acting like a jerk, oh well.

Why not just ignore him and do your job?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:20 PM

23 posts, read 21,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
He's a co worker, you're not his superior. He's not doing anything thats really out of line. He doesnt have to like you. If he's acting like a jerk, oh well.

Why not just ignore him and do your job?
You are absolutely right. I've been doing this for a while. The problem is that it's too blatant and in my face, on purpose and in a very passive aggressive way, so it makes it quite difficult to ignore.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenora1 View Post
This situation has brought me a lot of anxiety at work and I also didn't get the reason why these things have happened. Please shed some light on it if you can.
I have this male coworker (younger than me, so I expected some form of respect) that i had to work with closely for a while. He, at first, said that I made him better at his job with my professional experience and approach, which was polite of him. Then he got very competitive, he would always want to do what i was doing, unfriendly, quite rude. Still, because I am older, and (supposedly) wiser, I treated him professionally. Because I had met his girlfriend some time before, I also had the opportunity to offer her an amazing job, better pay and hours, you name it. After this favor, he became even more rude, ignoring me, not making eye contact, taking the other door when I was there..you name it. This went on for a very long time until one day I decided to confront him and tell him that this behaviour was unprofessional. I asked him why he was behaving this way, to which he answered that I was the one who started being cold to him. I don't remember being cold, though, we just stopped working together after a while.
He would join my conversations with other coworkers to ignore me on purpose and other unecessary things.
What's your take on this? Thank you
It really doesn't matter why. You were smart to ask him directly, and lucky that he gave you an answer.

What you should have done would have been to say: "I'm so sorry you felt I was cold to you. Was it something in particular that I said or did? Please tell me. And then let's start over."

Did you do something like that?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
If this is behavior that others would notice and wonder about, you really can't ignore it. I think you should talk to him privately, and ask if he wants to get HR involved to mediate the problem. He sounds like a twit. Really. To join in conversations with co-workers and blatantly ignore you is just . . . what a twit.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:09 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Have your coworkers noticed this behavior, OP? Are there any you're on good enough terms with to ask if they've noticed?

Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Is the "amazing job" that the gf has now better than your co-worker's?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 PM

372 posts, read 533,779 times
From what you've described, sounds like narcissistic behavior.

Read some online blogs about narcissistic abuse and see if you spot any patterns.

Be careful. Narcissist's take advantage of kindness and dis-respect understanding and compassion.

Learn to protect yourself. Go grey-rock if you have to. (look it up)

Take good care and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships