Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times

Advertisements

Saturday last, I was with a friend at a local restaurant. Now I drive past this restaurant frequently, and have so for many years - but up until Saturday, had never been in it.

Anyway, I was asked how I liked the restaurant. The food was good, service was okay - nothing outstanding. So I said: "It was good." and didn't elaborate further. One of my acquaintances piped up: "Oh, so you didn't like the restaurant." The truth of the matter is: I don't dislike it; rather, I can't say that it's a place I'd make a beeline for. Yes, it's a good place to eat - but I'm not listing it as one of my favorite places.

Do you know people like this? You clarify that someplace is okay, but they misconstrue it as "you hate it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
???

I heard you say "It was good" - as in "it was good". No hidden meaning there IMO.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
"Damned by faint praise". Yes, it's a thing.

If you get called for a reference, and you say "um, yes, um, she worked here. Uh huh. She was . . . good".

Is it possible you hesitated when you said it was good - giving the impression you considered elaborating but decided against it?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Saturday last, I was with a friend at a local restaurant. Now I drive past this restaurant frequently, and have so for many years - but up until Saturday, had never been in it.

Anyway, I was asked how I liked the restaurant. The food was good, service was okay - nothing outstanding. So I said: "It was good." and didn't elaborate further. One of my acquaintances piped up: "Oh, so you didn't like the restaurant." The truth of the matter is: I don't dislike it; rather, I can't say that it's a place I'd make a beeline for. Yes, it's a good place to eat - but I'm not listing it as one of my favorite places.

Do you know people like this? You clarify that someplace is okay, but they misconstrue it as "you hate it"?
It could have been your delivery, tone of voice, or a facial expression when you made the comment.

You elaborated in your OP why you thought it was good but not outstanding and that it wouldn't be a favorite, why wouldn't you do that in conversation? It just seems like it would come naturally to expand upon why you thought "It was good."

Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
So I said: "It was good." and didn't elaborate further. One of my acquaintances piped up: "Oh, so you didn't like the restaurant."
It's all in the delivery.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Perhaps you said it in a way that left the person thinking that there was some subtext in your statement. Depending on the tone I might inquire further if you were just trying to be polite and really didn't care for it. Not to make an issue. Just sort of a lighthearted "oh, sounds like you didn't really care for it much."

Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"Damned by faint praise". Yes, it's a thing.
This. Exactly.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:

I have to ask, why do you care how an acquaintance interprets your words? Just move on with the conversation.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 AM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
Sounds like when mentioned acquaintance says "good" she means she doesn't like it.

Things don't always have to be the best or the worst.

There is a reasonable in-between.

And that's good.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's all in the delivery.
Yep, My Dad's favorite complimentary term was "Not bad".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships