Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM

19 posts, read 14,717 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved down to NC (Aheville area) 6 months ago. The area is beautiful, there are more jobs and its cheaper to live then where we are from. But! Most southerners dont like northeners or anyone else if that. Since i have been here, I have heard the Yankee word more times in 1 month then in my whole entire life. My wife was assaulted with a stun gun in a freaking store. My wife was in a store with a client she works with. The client being someone she supports that has a mental disability. My wife is an educated women and has never commited a crime in her entire life and in the 31 years she lived in upstate NY, she has never been assaulted. The girl behind the register and the owner told her to leave for no reason and when my wife tried to ask why, they tried shooting her with a stun gun. What the hell is wrong with these freaking people. Then to make matters worse the cops dont do anything about it. I have met a lot of people down here that say the cops dont do anything. Hello the Civil war is over! We are all Americans. Everybody and their mother is moving here and the traffic is crazy. I would rather go back home and pay high tax's then be somewhere where we are not welcome! I know there are good people out there but this is crazy! This place sucks! My advice to anyone who is thinking about moving here, is to make sure you hang out where you want to live for a while to see what its like. I have many more horror stories that I have heard about. I LOVE NY!!!!!!

Last edited by Rockjm; 01-23-2007 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
oh boy I have never heard of such thing!!!! thousands of NY and NJ people there and never heard of anyone being assalted like that..we are moving to Union County NC and cant wait..sorry to hear about your wife

Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Wow - I have been in the Asheville area for a year and haven't encountered ANYTHING like that - were you near one of the public housing areas maybe? Most folks I have met have been the greatest, and I have met many from the NE and elsewhere, and also locals. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,000 times
Just commented on your wife's posting, but I will say again how sorry I am for her and for your doubts now about moving here. We moved to Cary a week ago and I suppose something like that could happen here as well. Moved here from Austin and before Austin, we lived in Tucson. I was just on the Tucson, AZ forum and they were talking about how violent it is there. Guess we can't ever find a completely safe place, or the moment we think we have, we find it really isn't. Take care and I hope tomorrow will be a better day for both of you.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Huh...really? When you say you're in the "Asheville area", I'm betting you're not actually IN the city/urban core of Asheville itself? Because from my experiences there, being a yankee would actually be considered a *good* thing among those folks!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times
I think there is more to this story than what you are telling us. I have never heard of such a thing without prior provocation. Judging from the “Yankee” statement and “Most southerners don’t like northerners or anyone else if that” I think you go into situations with a chip on your shoulder. I would like to talk to the shop owner to find out what really happened.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,625 times
Mabey this is a mole hill being made into a mountain....

Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 14,717 times
The shop owner would probably tazer you too.

I wont tell you for your own safety. and no we dont have chips on our shoulders. We treat everyone as equals. The Yankee term was said to us many many times.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,056,039 times
I'm sorry about your experience however there are two sides to every story, so I'm willing to bet there was something more to it. Maybe, there was some mis-understanding between your wife and the store owner. I have been to Asheville many many times and have never had any bad experiences. Are you out in the boonies? All I can say is stay positive and really give the place a chance.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne068 View Post
I think this may answer some of your questions. I found this person on the New York Boards and I do think there is more to this story.

01-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Rockjm
Member Join Date: Jan 2007

I wanna go home!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I moved to NC with my wife. We did it for the sake of tax's, jobs and nice weather. Well i have only been here for 6 months and i have to say those things are true BUT! my family, friends and the Adirondack mountains are not here. I missed my first hunting season in 16 years. I missed walking through the woods with my pops. I miss knowing everyone! There is so much more to life then money, tax's and jobs. I have lived in every corner of NY State and yes there are some bad towns but there are also some good ones, just like every where else. NY state is by far the best state in the country! Where else do you have the greatest city in the world, the best food, the best people and the best mountains and lakes. I hope my wife gets NC out of her system fast, because I WANNA GO HOME!
I agree, I thought there has to be more to this story when I read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina