Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times

Advertisements

I've lived in 2 houses where we barely got to know any neighbors, and I've lived in 2 houses where the neighbors were fairly social, watching the kids play outside, etc. It could have to do with us and out stage in life, too. In the 2 neighborhoods where we did not socialize, we did not have kids that were of the "play out side in the front yard" stage. In the 2 neighborhoods where we did socialize, we did have kids who played out side and prompted us to go out and talk to the other parents on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
i cut up deer and moose for my neighbors and they give me garden grown veggies and don't complain when I have bonfires or target practice with my rifles..

ive got one neighbor....she's a wiccan witch she brings me over casseroles

she loves to be in her hot tub out in the moonlight...shes invited me over but I haven't gone yet...

Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 AM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Some of my neighbors and I exchange greetings. There is only neighbor that I have been in her apt. and she has been in mine and we have had conversations.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

she loves to be in her hot tub out in the moonlight...shes invited me over but I haven't gone yet...
What are you waiting for?

Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Hahaha I was just considering mowing the lawns in a bikini. NO I DO NOT HAVE A BIKINI. LOL Maybe add a little fuel to the fire. I some what blocked the over the fence view with a great big bottle tree with wind spinners on top. She glared at me the other day when I mowed at the far end of my yard where their fence does not hide her. Such anger and it really is sad. She had no place to sew in their 12 by 40 ancient trailer the kind with less than 2 inch walls. Before hubby died I offered her to come use my sewing room any time. they have no internet. I have WIFI and also offered them to come over and use it any time until they get back on their feet. Even offeded a lap top to use. They are recovering, maybe, from a big financial crash.

I wish you could come over too. It would be fun.

I just finished this today. Finally.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...posted-public/
That's beautiful!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,378,396 times
First OFF, Your neighbours can be your best friends or worst enemies! Why not at least try to find some common ground ..as it's your neighbourhood??

I've always gotten along with all neighbours no matter where I lived.. Owned Home (3) or rented! Let's FACE IT!! Your best Security is when you have neighbours who watch out for YOU and your home!

Sure, there may be some neighbours who do stuff that aggravates.. BUT surely, with a few conversations ( non-confrontational) can FIND some common grounds??? Kind of sounds like Political talk, eh? Thankfully. Politics isn't part of Canadian Dialogue.. IN FACT it's discouraged, just like Religion!!

Yep, us Canadian's are not of that similar agenda as our US Counter-parts

Old 06-01-2017, 07:52 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,676,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
First OFF, Your neighbours can be your best friends or worst enemies! Why not at least try to find some common ground ..as it's your neighbourhood??

I've always gotten along with all neighbours no matter where I lived.. Owned Home (3) or rented! Let's FACE IT!! Your best Security is when you have neighbours who watch out for YOU and your home!

Sure, there may be some neighbours who do stuff that aggravates.. BUT surely, with a few conversations ( non-confrontational) can FIND some common grounds??? Kind of sounds like Political talk, eh? Thankfully. Politics isn't part of Canadian Dialogue.. IN FACT it's discouraged, just like Religion!!

Yep, us Canadian's are not of that similar agenda as our US Counter-parts

I disagree with this. Like I said earlier, especially with today's technology, what do you need a neighbor for?

I don't want some nosy human being "watching out for my home". That equals said human having an excuse to be in my face. I have my alarm, cameras, lights, thermostats, locks, basically EVERYTHING set on my phone, and can pull it all up in 5 seconds. I literally have ZERO use for a neighbor. I'll wave at them and smile but that's as far as I'm letting neighbors into my life.

It's just not worth the risk, getting too involved in the life of someone next door. You're stuck with them living next to you. I've had bad neighbors growing up and it was a nightmare.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,795,704 times
I just came in from planting flowers on my porch. My neighbor guy (the one who said he was "obsessed with getting his yardwork done" when I introduced myself) came out and was mowing his lawn. Literally 4 feet from me. I considered giving a second chance and saying hi, but when I looked over toward him, he was glaring like he wanted to kill someone and since I was the nearest target, I just looked away and went back to my business. Then he went and got his leaf blower, walked up the middle of my driveway, still glaring, and ignored me completely. I think I'm reading the room pretty well when I say this guy really, really doesn't want to be neighborly. Two elderly ladies walked by and stopped and told me that my planters looked nice and they liked my artwork. So I guess that will have to suffice for today!

I hate it when I have jerky neighbors. I smile at everyone because I'm freaking neurotic about it. It makes me feel bad to look at someone's face and see nastiness reflected back. It makes the living situation awkward. I guess I should have had a warning when the previous residents mentioned something about the "boys next door being a little uptight." I didn't think much of it at the time. Now I get what they were trying to say!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:42 AM

19 posts, read 9,239 times
Default Neighbors

I think most people on here agree that common decency is the best option, with possibly one or two good friends. But always maintain some distance as no one like a Nosy Nelly.

In my opinion, the only thing worse than a nosy neighbor is a nosy HOA run by the nosy neighbor.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:42 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,325,673 times
We have great neighbors all around, but keep interactions to a minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships