Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:14 PM

65 posts, read 79,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Jobs are earned, not given.
True,so if you applied over hundreds of jobs and haven't "earned" one interview what then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I was homeless briefly and I did have a job at the time
Yup some jobs don't pay enough,and in today's time I can't imagine a person being homeless and looking for a job now it is soo difficult.

Thank God i wasn't homeless in their period the attitude of people and employers now a days is inhumane!

Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
Yes they will just hire you in 5 minutes,with out paper work,id,background check,and heck how many people applied?

And some random homeless young man will get the job in 5 minutes!
Cool idea,have you tried it?
Don't knock it until you try it right?

I did post construction clean up for about 5 years. I ran it as a business because I had a wee bit of know how to get it started and do that, but only because I found a person willing to take a chance on me.

It really isn't as easy as some believe, that is why these discussions are important in keeping it real.

God sent me an angel, he was a foreman on a new house construction job; i never forget my angels.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
The best possible measure of a person's character? See how they treat someone who can't do them any good.

I support a homeless ministry with my time and efforts. And many of the people who are homeless are that way because of mental illness or circumstances beyond their control, not addiction or laziness. So, in effect, your friend decided to haul off and deride some of the most vulnerable among us.

Yeah, I'm sure he thought it was funny, chiefly because he hadn't thought about it all that much. But while you shouldn't give panhandlers change, you shouldn't give them your contempt either.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The best possible measure of a person's character? See how they treat someone who can't do them any good.

I support a homeless ministry with my time and efforts. And many of the people who are homeless are that way because of mental illness or circumstances beyond their control, not addiction or laziness. So, in effect, your friend decided to haul off and deride some of the most vulnerable among us.

Yeah, I'm sure he thought it was funny, chiefly because he hadn't thought about it all that much. But while you shouldn't give panhandlers change, you shouldn't give them your contempt either.
True ... and I apologize as I quite fell into it, in not really thinking. I need to push back from this computer for a time ...

Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minivandriver View Post
the best possible measure of a person's character? See how they treat someone who can't do them any good.

Yeah, i'm sure he thought it was funny, chiefly because he hadn't thought about it all that much. But while you shouldn't give panhandlers change, you shouldn't give them your contempt either.
agree!!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:31 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
So when people tell homeless people get a job,how about give a job huh?

Did you give him a job?

I actually took two homeless (separate people, different times) to do work in my yard for money. /shrug
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
While I don't advocate handing out money to the homeless directly, particularly when it will most likely be spent on drugs or booze, they do need honest help. Many are mentally ill or suffer from disabilities of various sorts, and all of them have been hosed in some way by life. Yes, sometimes personal decisions were involved, but people who love to spout off about how the homeless are all scum who "deserve it" are only one catastrophic illness, house fire, or heaven only knows what else away from being out on the streets for a while themselves.

As for giving a job vs. getting a job, it is a common fallacy on the far-right that there are infinite actual jobs out there, and if somebody doesn't have a job, it's their own fault. This is a laughable and completely inaccurate view of the world. For one thing, it's easily disproven if one looks at job openings vs. people out of work, but more importantly, it misses many basic facts:
  • May "job openings" do not actually exist. They are either created to keep HR looking busy, are written up when the company already knows who they want to hire but still need to post the job to meet legal requirements, or they are just window-dressing BS so the company can claim to be "hiring."
  • Many applicants cannot meet the absurd job requirements. Back when I was between jobs, I saw this all the time. So many jobs had such strict requirements that if you didn't already work at the company, you couldn't meet them. In that type of environment, even a drug-free homeless guy with some skills has zero chance of getting these jobs.
  • No, the days of walking up to the boss, giving him a firm handshake, and having a job by that afternoon are long gone; oh, and that plant closed, too. These days, you apply online, wait weeks, and often hear nothing back. And if you're homeless, forget it - where would they mail the paperwork? It's not about getting people working, it's about following a process.
  • Finally, jobs do not expand to match available skill sets. Educating a million more engineers will not create a million more engineering jobs for them. Going to college, while very good, is not a sure-fire way to get hired. And if everyone "got of der butts and got a degree," it would just mean you'd have a lot of people with degrees asking, "Do you want fries with that?"
Many of our nation's problems could be reduced significantly if people had some empathy and basic understanding of economics, and if they stopped believing crap like the Just World Fallacy, where everyone "gets what they deserve in life."

Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM

509 posts, read 485,143 times
I would never tell them to "get a job"; I don't know their lives or circumstances or what has brought them to the point of homelessness, so it is not my place to judge them. I've lost jobs before and I've been so broke it would drive some people to suicide, and I didn't want to hear lectures from know-it-alls either.

Every homeless person has heard of "jobs". And it doesn't take "months" to land a job unless you are in a rural area. I've taken dirty, degrading, dangerous, and difficult jobs before; you look in the classifieds, make an appointment, and show up. It's what you do if you don't wanna be homeless, and it can usually be accomplished in a week or two.

The problem is, the chronically homeless are often pretty messed up and not thinking like members of society anymore. If you are drunk every day, then you can't get a job.

Some of these people are beyond help and doomed. Others will see the light, sober up, and save themselves. I do think society has a responsibility to have treatment and shelter options available to its indigent, but I am unconvinced any random person passing by has any responsibility. If a Good Samaritan can save a life with a job offer, then great, I am all for it. But if you have no job to give, and feel that giving money to an alcoholic is a waste (it usually is, homeless or not), then I don't think there is much an average person can be expected to do. Volunteer at a soup kitchen? If you can do that, then great too. But that's not for everyone.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
Elizabeth Smart's parents (well meaning do-gooders) gave a homeless man a job. We know how that turned out.

If you think a homeless person needs a job (btw, most don't want one) direct them to a shelter that can help. Most have major psychiatric & abuse problems a simple job can't fix.

The majority need long term drug/alcohol rehab, years of psychotherapy, basic education, job skill training, transitional group home living, etc. - after all of that happens, offer them a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships