Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I meant where do you meet up/hang out w/ the friends you ALREADY HAVE. Not where do you meet new people.
Wow. That poster was probably remembering that you said you only have one friend in the world, and that one is only a 6 on your friend scale of 10. So it doesn't seem like a reach that you were wanting suggestions on where to meet new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 03:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,353 times
Museums,Dave and Busters..if you have one in your area,some type of roller rink ...amusement parks...

Old 06-03-2017, 01:09 PM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Coffee, walking, dog stuff. Helping to projects at each other's houses, cooking, BBQ.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:07 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Here's a hint: When you meet for movies, you go for dinner afterwards. That's when you converse.

Yeah, most people do it over meals. Or why don't you invite them over to your place? Women go shopping together.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:51 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Their home, my home, bowling, bars (I just don't drink), parks, concerts, festivals, fairs.. There are lots of options

Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
OK great guys, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Anyplace that's comfortable, including bars. Every Monday evening a nice group of folks (friends of mine) meet at a small bar. Everyone drinks whatever they wish, mostly beer, some hard stuff. I drink ice-tea. No big deal.

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You can still meet in a bar and just order an ice tea.

Nobody cares what you are drinking except you.
True, but I don't personally care to hang out in a drinking/bar environment if I don't drink myself...just looking for new ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Since I understood what you meant, I geared my other post to things you could do together with friends you already have that would not only give you an opportunity to chat but also to learn/perfect a productive skill.

If you have a home/apartment of your own, why would you have to look for a place that doesn't serve alcohol/doesn't play overly loud music that drowns out meaningful conversation? Just invite friend/s over for coffee and dessert and have a nice quiet evening of talking. Invite several friends for Game Night and play board games/cards/charades until everyone is worn out from laughing.

If you don't have a place of your own, where did you meet these friends in the first place? Keep meeting them there.

I've never been thrown out of a pizza place. Or a Chinese buffet. Nor have I been tossed out of the park. None of these places are loud enough to limit conversation. Or just meet on the corner of __________ and _________ and go for a walk, chatting as you go.

Or you could always just text one another on the ubiquitous cell phone and never have to "meet" at all.
Right, one's home/apt is always good, but I don't always want to have to clean up my place for 2-3 hour-long visit. I've had a friend to my apt before though. Just looking for new ideas other than my go-to: the mall & restaurant.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I rarely drink. But I have no problem meeting my friends at bars. I just have some iced tea or a diet soda. We prefer low-key places where conversation is easy to hear. Or we go for hikes during the day or meet up at a diner for breakfast. Sometimes we get together at coffee shops. As my friends have gotten older, they have gradually cut back on their drinking, sometimes entirely. We still hang out in bars, though, mostly out of habit.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OK great guys, thanks a lot!

True, but I don't personally care to hang out in a drinking/bar environment if I don't drink myself...just looking for new ideas!

Right, one's home/apt is always good, but I don't always want to have to clean up my place for 2-3 hour-long visit. I've had a friend to my apt before though. Just looking for new ideas other than my go-to: the mall & restaurant.
I don't mind drinking every once in a while, but I don't like staying up late so I'm enjoying these responses as well!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,136 times
At the local ice rink, my place, their place, or somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships