Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times

Advertisements

I did not drink for two reasons, one didn't like it that well and two wasn't the correct thing to do if carrying a firearm. But that did not stop me from going to the bars to meet up with friends, or even the occasional blind date.
Don't need to drink to have fun.

Weather permitting, a city park.
Mall
Heck, even pizza hut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Did you mean where do you find people to be friends with, without drinking?
Or
Where to go with friends without drinking?

I go to restaurants after the lunch rush, then it quiets down and we can sit for a longer time. I always tell the server that we will be there a longer time and tip them generously before they leave. Then they are happy, very nice and don't care that we are staying longer. Other than that we go to the beach when it's nice outside and bring treats.

Finding friends that don't drink is really hard. But now that I am older and seeing people my age, drinking is not what it used to be. I don't drink but my friends usually have one or two and I can handle that. Any more than that and they aren't my friends anymore, can't handle that.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 PM

325 posts, read 371,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't drink/dance so I don't care to go do bars/clubs. I don't like going w/ friends to movies really because you're basically just sitting in front of a large TV & not conversing.

When I go out w/ friends, the only places I could think of are the mall to walk around & talk & also have lunch. I want places that you can REALLY TALK w/ people & not have any kind of loud commotion, etc. Here's other possibilities:

the gym - if they give free guest passes & you don't mind sweating a little
the park - I guess that's OK

Where do YOU meet friends?
Tonight I met a friend at a distillery at her request. I told the bartender I didn't drink and she made me a delicious virgin cocktail. It was a great experience!

Old 06-01-2017, 12:13 AM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
Their house.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 AM

212 posts, read 156,493 times
Restaurants... I mean who doesn't like eating? I could only see this being an issue maybe if dieting and you go to a place with great non diet friendly foods. When I diet, I'm cool with meeting people at places with food I don't like especially if it's Thai, Japanese, or Indian lol.

Home is a good one too. Maybe if there's nice weather sit outside, have a beverage and just relax and talk.

Take a walk together or hike.

Meet somewhere outside and sit.

I don't like the idea of the museum or zoo thing with other people unless you aren't that interested. When I want to observe things or take in an experience, I find having company there sort of takes away from that. Also at the gym, unless it's super low impact exercising, I'm out of breath lol. Not a good talking time.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't drink/dance so I don't care to go do bars/clubs. I don't like going w/ friends to movies really because you're basically just sitting in front of a large TV & not conversing.

When I go out w/ friends, the only places I could think of are the mall to walk around & talk & also have lunch. I want places that you can REALLY TALK w/ people & not have any kind of loud commotion, etc. Here's other possibilities:

the gym - if they give free guest passes & you don't mind sweating a little
the park - I guess that's OK

Where do YOU meet friends?
Usually I meet friends at museums, parks or other local attractions where we walk around together for a while. Usually at some point we sit down for a light bite to eat afterwards. Also I have one friend who sometimes invites me & others over to his place for a meal and a movie (usually something on demand and he even makes popcorn!).

Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
I like going to thrift stores with a friend

Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I quit drinking about a month ago because I got to the point where I just felt that it was more trouble than it was worth. As a result, I don't like to go to venues where they serve alcohol. I am partial to going to the bookstore because they have seating to grab a coffee and relax, and it is conducive to having a conversation. I will also go to the local farmer's markets and walk around.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Sharing crafts is a good thing. Back in the day, (I saw that eye-roll!) people got together and had "sewing circles" or "quilting bees". That way, they got to chat while accomplishing a useful task.

The off-hours at a restaurant is an excellent idea. Once met an internet acquaintance for the first time in person at a local diner after the lunch rush. We talked through lunch, two pots of coffee, four rest room visits and three hours of "getting to know you". The server was impressed that we had never met until that day.

Maybe start a book club. Learn a language (ASL?) together and go for coffee after. There's a juice bar near my house - they don't serve alcohol.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:46 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Did you mean where do you find people to be friends with, without drinking?
Or
Where to go with friends without drinking?
I meant where do you meet up/hang out w/ the friends you ALREADY HAVE. Not where do you meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships