Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times

Advertisements

You should stop obsessing about what random strangers think about you and your face. Relax and embrace yourself as you are, BRF and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
I can attest to this or is it my $80 moisturizer?

In all seriousness, I discovered I had BRF in just recent years. People were pretty rude to me even when I wasn't trying to be rude or mean to anyone. They would always tell me to smile, that I look bored, sad, etc. when I was often just being neutral. It was somewhat insulting and I couldn't understand why people would always pick on me. On the upside, people are usually surprised to find out that I'm nicer than they thought.

Of course now that I'm older, nobody really says that anymore, and I could care less what they think of my BRF.

Someone mentioned animals with BRF and resting happy faces. Sharks vs. dolphins? Poor sharks.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
I can attest to this or is it my $80 moisturizer?

In all seriousness, I discovered I had BRF in just recent years. People were pretty rude to me even when I wasn't trying to be rude or mean to anyone. They would always tell me to smile, that I look bored, sad, etc. when I was often just being neutral. It was somewhat insulting and I couldn't understand why people would always pick on me. On the upside, people are usually surprised to find out that I'm nicer than they thought.

Of course now that I'm older, nobody really says that anymore, and I could care less what they think of my BRF.

Someone mentioned animals with BRF and resting happy faces. Sharks vs. dolphins? Poor sharks.
I have a friend who hears that all the time. She is very attractive, but she has a sort of haughty, 'I'm-better-than-you-are" look to her, and she sometimes doesn't speak to people. I knew her for years at work, and I thought she was one stuck-up biotch, and so did most people I hung out with.

Years later, we ended up working together, and one day she walked in to my office when I was eating lunch at my desk and going over some personal papers. I explained to her that I liked to write and was editing my draft to submit a short story. Turned out she was a can't-quit-the-day-job writer, too. We got talking, and now, many years later, we are fast friends who have gone to writing retreats together. And now I know she is painfully shy. She has heard all her life from people who got to know her and told her they thought she was aloof and stuck-up, and she just has a hard time in social situations. I think the fact that she is so pretty didn't help, either. There are judgments and assumptions that go along with being attractive, and as a not-so-attractive person, I have been guilty of making those judgments and assumptions myself. We tend to think someone has it made because they are good-looking.

As far as Vivian Leigh goes, she was beautiful, but mental illness destroyed her life and marriage.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a friend who hears that all the time. She is very attractive, but she has a sort of haughty, 'I'm-better-than-you-are" look to her, and she sometimes doesn't speak to people. I knew her for years at work, and I thought she was one stuck-up biotch, and so did most people I hung out with.

Years later, we ended up working together, and one day she walked in to my office when I was eating lunch at my desk and going over some personal papers. I explained to her that I liked to write and was editing my draft to submit a short story. Turned out she was a can't-quit-the-day-job writer, too. We got talking, and now, many years later, we are fast friends who have gone to writing retreats together. And now I know she is painfully shy. She has heard all her life from people who got to know her and told her they thought she was aloof and stuck-up, and she just has a hard time in social situations. I think the fact that she is so pretty didn't help, either. There are judgments and assumptions that go along with being attractive, and as a not-so-attractive person, I have been guilty of making those judgments and assumptions myself. We tend to think someone has it made because they are good-looking.

As far as Vivian Leigh goes, she was beautiful, but mental illness destroyed her life and marriage.

This is me, all day long lol. Someone told me that to my face once. "You are pretty, but you look like a b****."

I have always wondered - how people 'look' stuck up?? How can you tell unless you talk to them?

Old 06-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This is me, all day long lol. Someone told me that to my face once. "You are pretty, but you look like a b****."

I have always wondered - how people 'look' stuck up?? How can you tell unless you talk to them?
Her lips always look sort of pursed, as if she's a bit disdainful of everyone around her.

Her coloring is different, but this is very similar to the way my friend's face looks. If someone was looking at you like this, wouldn't you think she was a b*tch?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7de78ce437.jpg

Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM

I was thinking of this thread today. I took the PATH train in to NYC, which is a rail rapid transit system in which people are sitting across from one another or standing. I looked at different faces and tested my reaction to them. It's amazing how many times "stupid" or "b*tchy" or "upset" came to mind, and they might not have been. One woman was the type who looked upset, as if she might cry. I watched her, and she was just reading the free newspaper, then put it away and looked around, etc. I think she was fine. She just had an about-to-burst-into-tears face.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It is called a mean face where you look angry,but that is not your intention.

I need pointers on how to deal with it.

It is starting to get a little out of hand,but it seems people who do not have this problem do not understand.

On one hand,i cannot smile just for smiling's sake,yet otherwise people will get the wrong impression of me.

I am content but my face is saying something different,and i suspect it has costs me jobs in the past.

Trust,it is painful to live like this.
This stranger (guy) called me the B word as i was walking past him.
You live in NJ correct?

I mean is walking around not smiling really an issue?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Her lips always look sort of pursed, as if she's a bit disdainful of everyone around her.

Her coloring is different, but this is very similar to the way my friend's face looks. If someone was looking at you like this, wouldn't you think she was a b*tch?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7de78ce437.jpg
LOL you did not go there with Bette Davis!

Hmm... I would think she was pissed off about something. But I wouldn't assume that she WAS a *****.

There is a difference that I think that people overlook.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL you did not go there with Bette Davis!

Hmm... I would think she was pissed off about something. But I wouldn't assume that she WAS a *****.

There is a difference that I think that people overlook.
Yes, there is, but I think in that picture Bette looks exactly like someone looking at someone else as if they are no more than an earthworm.

She made millions off of HER RBF!

Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You live in NJ correct?

I mean is walking around not smiling really an issue?
Depends,but the incident in the OP happened in Philly.

That is also why i never understood how people say NYC is full of nasty people.

I have 80% positive experiences in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships