Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 PM

92 posts, read 83,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I am sorry for your troubles, but I laughed out loud at the bolded part.

Upper class? Compared to what? You have wild dogs, loud music blasting from cars, people on welfare, meth being smoked out in the open, that's pretty ghetto or trailer park trash behavior.
I know. That's what makes it so ridiculous. This is an upper class neighbourhood that has been infiltrated by these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 PM

I guess my situation is similar to what is happening with section 8 in the US.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:34 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Be thankful you don't own the condo and have the option to leave when your lease is up. Keep a low profile, do not leave your child unattended at any time. Document everything.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Be thankful you don't own the condo and have the option to leave when your lease is up. Keep a low profile, do not leave your child unattended at any time. Document everything.
Oh I am. I feel awful for the people who own in here.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,970 times
The advice people are giving you, first and foremost keeping your child protected and out of harms way until a fence can be put up and using an attorney to get your LL to get that done makes really good sense to me. If you are fearful and the LL takes too long to get it done, using that same attorney to get you out of the lease is also a good option.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned is would it be worth it to you to buy a few security cameras with night vision capability? Have them installed up high and inconspicuously to keep a visual record of goings-on in your yard(s) just in case the neighbors start escalating (seems like this could be likely)?

We have piggy, drug and alcohol-addicted neighbors too, long story... and we do have cameras. Strangers coming and going all hours of the night for quick hops into the neighbor's garage to (assuming) complete drug transactions and also once coming onto our property (motion detectors with very bright LED lights and the Jeffco sheriff's dept. afterward put an immediate end to that activity). I cannot say too much about it, they are being watched very carefully right now. The homeowner has been arrested several times now since they've been there for 9 years. He doesn't seem to spend much time in jail though.

Two days ago we saw a realtor over there going over the property with the homeowner, though so there is hope on the horizon. The house is literally falling apart around them but hopefully someone comes in and fixes it all up again. We are planning to put up a high fence just in case they are still there when we go to put our house up for sale later this year anyway. The dysfunction will never leave the people and you cannot do anything about that; but people like that don't seem to roost in the same place too long either. Hopefully that will be the case soon for you.

Please be careful, people like that are unpredictable.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anongirl787 View Post
We're renting from an individual owner. We won't bother with a lawsuit because even if we win nothing would change. They have no money, aside from government hand outs, and nothing to offer.
Um hmm. And that's the argument for having Section 8 housing being in one location where the houses may be ugly but very hardy buildings where everyone in subsidized housing has to put up with each other. When they can afford to move out into the general housing market, they are free to do that and have better housing and better neighbors. Until then, you have to live next to everyone else who can't manage their lives, and those who can afford better housing don't have to put up with your shenanigans.

God I sound like a snob.

I will say, there was one family I know who rented Section 8 housing in a middle class neighborhood, and first thing they did was buy a second hand lawn mower. Because the middle class attitude rubbed off on them. So that's why cities distribute Section 8 around, and don't imprison them in one neighborhood.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
You win if you move.
You lose if you stay.

There is nothing you can do. Hope you can hit the dog before he bites your kid.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:

So obviously we have informed our landlord about all of this. She's looking into putting up a fence. She also said we should look into filing a lawsuit. What do you think we should do? We love this place and we don't want to move until we have the down payment ready and a house set up. Our neighbours win if we move. They're professional tenants and criminals who enjoy making people miserable so I kind of want to do all that I can to make them miserable instead.

Thoughts?
First of all, very sorry this is happening to you and your family.

Please take to heart what I am saying. Living some place is not a test of endurance. It is not a test of your character to simply put up with anything that happens around you, so you can be the winner once they move out or are arrested. That isn't winning, that is putting you and your family through a terrible ordeal that isn't required.

This is what you should do. Contact a real estate attorney, and review your lease on this place to get out of it without having to worry about doing a sublet or pay any additional fees for getting out of it. Do this first. Then have the real estate attorney contact the landlord and explain the situation there is unbearable and you are moving out.

Find another place to live, even if this delays you purchasing a home of your own. Your peace of mind and mental health of you and your family if far more important than money. The bottom line is: Look for another place to live and move out.

What you should NOT do is, don't file a lawsuit, don't do anything like that. Because those things don't resolve like they do on TV in an hour. It will drag on for freaking years! I'm not kidding, I know people who have been through them and 4.5 years later it is finally over. Meanwhile they have suffered by being involved in the lawsuit, plus the legal costs. The legal costs will exceed the cost of moving and getting into a new place.

Again, I'm telling you, move!

I wish you and your family well and peace.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I am sorry for your troubles, but I laughed out loud at the bolded part.

Upper class? Compared to what? You have wild dogs, loud music blasting from cars, people on welfare, meth being smoked out in the open, that's pretty ghetto or trailer park trash behavior.
And your posting is intended to make the OP feel better?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
I know. That's what makes it so ridiculous. This is an upper class neighbourhood that has been infiltrated by these people.
Is it just the one unit that is the problem? Is there no condo board? If everyone else is upper class and with condos you're in close proximity, have you talked to others about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
And your posting is intended to make the OP feel better?
No, I was trying to undertand the situation. It's very odd to hear all of this going on in an upper class area.

Let's put on our thinking caps eastcoastguyz shall we?

Upper class usually means quiet areas, you see people either have to get up in the morning to go to good paying jobs to pay to live there, or they're well off retired people, either way they like QUIET.

So things like vicious dogs running wild, people smoking meth in the open, loud music coming from cars, aren't the norm.

Caught up now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships