Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:32 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times

Advertisements

My sweet mom and I always think of her always did this kind of thing.

However, she did this from about the early 1970's until about 2005 - she would read the newspaper; see an article on someone she knew or we knew, clip it out, write a handwritten note to the person and mail it.

There were always tons of newspapers at her house because she was "always going through them" but I will tell you at her memorial service so many people remembered this gesture of hers and loved her for it.

I can't even tell you the mail I would get - a clipping from "Dear Abby" about something - I think now it's precious.

Miss you, Mom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My sweet mom and I always think of her always did this kind of thing.

However, she did this from about the early 1970's until about 2005 - she would read the newspaper; see an article on someone she knew or we knew, clip it out, write a handwritten note to the person and mail it.

There were always tons of newspapers at her house because she was "always going through them" but I will tell you at her memorial service so many people remembered this gesture of hers and loved her for it.

I can't even tell you the mail I would get - a clipping from "Dear Abby" about something - I think now it's precious.

Miss you, Mom!
My mother did the same thing. She passed suddenly. Upon cleaning out her home, I came across an envelope with clippings---my last set of clippings. One of them was titled "Goodnight, Mother" It was about losing one's mother. She had dated it in red ink---exactly one month prior to her passing. Although she was in good health for her age, it was like she knew she was going......That, along with the other articles, are among my cherished possessions.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:53 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,521 times
I wouldn't have done it. I've gotten to the point in my life where there are certain memories, or people, there is no sense in re-connecting with, whether through reminiscing, or real life interaction. If I've gone years without thinking about a person, and then stumble on a letter, or old photo, I'm more likely to burn it. It's my way of just letting the past go and be forgotten. There's too much in my present life to tend to than to occupy myself with useless past memories of people and moments that either or negative, or hold no value to me anymore.

It's one of the reasons why I stopped using a lot of social media. I used to get friend requests from middle school and high school folks that I barely knew. I didn't see the point.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
All my friends were mortified. I'm curious if you agree with them.

I started tossing out boxes of old pictures a few weeks ago. I threw out tons of old pics. The pictures I thought each person in the picture would enjoy of themselves, I mailed them. Some were three or four decades old. All my old friends who receive the pictures called and said they appreciated that I sent them!

I sent my long-ago boyfriend in college a photo taken with his college roommates. My girlfriends all thought it was inappropriate. I didn't think about it being a problem. I wasn't in the picture. I didn't put a return address on the mail....just a note enclosed with the picture saying I thought he would enjoy seeing the picture of himself and his old roomies again.

I'm long, happily married. He's long married, too.

What do you guys think?
I imagine your old BF was happy to get the pic. I think your girlfriends are wrong on this one.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
LOL. My decades old friends remember him as we dated for many years and two still keep in touch with him and his family. My newer friends didn't know him, but said they wouldn't want any long-ago girlfriend sending anything to their husband.

I don't know why anyone would care about an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend after more than 30 years. Especially about a photo sent for their enjoyment. How very silly.....I agree, GuyInSD.
How and why do you still have his address to postal mail him a photo? Does he still live at home with his parents?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I wouldn't have done it. I've gotten to the point in my life where there are certain memories, or people, there is no sense in re-connecting with, whether through reminiscing, or real life interaction. If I've gone years without thinking about a person, and then stumble on a letter, or old photo, I'm more likely to burn it. It's my way of just letting the past go and be forgotten. There's too much in my present life to tend to than to occupy myself with useless past memories of people and moments that either or negative, or hold no value to me anymore.

It's one of the reasons why I stopped using a lot of social media. I used to get friend requests from middle school and high school folks that I barely knew. I didn't see the point.
Pretty much this. This is the reason why I was on linkdin for about 2 minutes. I did't think to create a new email address and used an old one. Big mistake. People started popping up I hadn't seen nor heard from in 10+ years. Delete! With all the technology available if I hadn't seen nor heard from someone in 30 years there is probably a good reason whether they are aware of it or not. I think looking at old photos brought up memories of the good old days, but one person's nostalgia could be another's nightmare.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
I'm sue he appreciated it and either tossed it after enjoying it or kept it. No return address means no attempt at anything more. Non-issue. Thoughtful to send all those out!

Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
So, did you tell your husband you sent this to him? I would think you would want to be upfront about it. And if you didn't tell your husband, why not, and what would he think of this?

Also, this ex maybe married, but what if he tries to reconnect with you? Have you decided how you would handle this if he does? I think this has the potential to be messy. And then, maybe not.

You see, it's not just sending a photo. There are a myriad of other things to consider.

There are a lot of questions.
*cue Freud* Sending a photo is just ... sending a photo.

There isn't a "myriad of other things" because it's not a photo of her/him, she didn't leave the return email and I'm sure if he did try to contact her, the OP would keep it to general pleasantries (hence, her saying she's happily married).

Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
I don't see anything awkward about it, especially since it wasn't of you two and you didn't even open a door for a reply. Just a nice thing to do.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,057 times
I think it was a cool idea. I wish friends/exes would send me pictures of me they come across. I was literally just thinking within the past few days that I have almost no pictures from 80's and 90's. I know I was in countless of them over the past 30 years but somehow I dont have them. It would be nice to have some of those memories (some I'd like to forget)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships