Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,566,960 times

Advertisements

So first let me say I'm middle age, which means I didn't grow up with social media and the instant "friends" that seems to bring.

I have 3 good girlfriends, they have been with me through thick and thin. we've been through weddings, child births, deaths of parents, lose of spouses, cancer. you name it. There have been times when I am ashamed to admit I have been out right nasty and a huge Be-ach. I have lied to them and been lied too, I would no more get dump them than I would cut off my arm.

Do people have friends like that anymore. the reason why I ask it seems nowadays, "friends" get into an argument (lol usually liquor is involved) lots of screaming and name calling and then everyone dumps the relationship.

I remember when my bff was going through chemo, she is one of those people that doesn't handle being sick very well, she was downright mean to everyone. me, kids, husband, nurses, doctors, you name it. Now of course the people who know her, know her real personality and realized that 1/2 of what she said was out of fear and pain. lol, talk about racking up brownie points (just kidding), my girl tells me constantly how much my friendship means to her and she could not have been the survivor she is today without the people who love her.

So I guess my question is..

Does anyone else celebrate a friendship that has lasted the test of time? or is that just a thing of the past? sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:59 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,402,203 times
Not at all. My childhood best friend died of a lifelong illness - otherwise we'd still be friends. I'm really just a friendly acquaintance with my other best friend from those early years -we're just too different. My current two best friend have been my best friends since the first day of high school - over 25 years. They have known each other even longer. We plan to grow old together.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times
Really depends. I moved around a little in my childhood (4 cities in 2 states and military brat) and my friends who have lifelong friends stayed pretty much in the same place.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times
I don't because I've moved around too much but I do know people who still maintain friendships with people they've known from grammar school.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Does anyone else celebrate a friendship that has lasted the test of time?
I have one friend that is a sister to me. She's 15 years older than me so she's kind of my surrogate mom too.

My husband adores her, and we go on vacations together, even though we now live in separate states.

When my dad died, she flew down for a couple days to help me out, and when she broke her leg and was on bed rest, I flew up and stayed with her for a week to help her through the big blizzard in Baltimore last year.

We'd do anything for each other.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
I do and have....several of them since I was 5, 8 and 10 years old, and the others all my life....they are awesome people, and women. I've been so gifted in them, and they were also, much needed positive influences, while growing up. One of them I just found again, her parents were so good to me....took me on vacations with them....I'm so sorry they are gone.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM

214 posts, read 180,963 times
I still have my lifelong friend since we were 6 years old.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:34 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,012,104 times
I am lucky to have just a few good friends and these few good friends came much later in my life.Those that I had thought were my friends are no longer that due to them showing their true nature after knowing them for over 6 yrs.This day and age we're living in...well you should thank your lucky starts to still have at least a few good true friends who really value the friendship.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:57 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,189,598 times
30 years with my BFF. Even 25 years ago we knew we'd be lifelong friends "drinking lemonade together on our porch at age 80" as we put it.

She is a quality person and a quality friend. I'm very lucky to have her in my life.

I just wish she'd let me do more for her; her mother died this year and she made all the arrangements plus dealt with the estate (what a headache!) etc etc... didn't let me do a whole lot although I was constantly around and offering. I like doing things for her.

Not everyone values friendship; find ones who do.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM

13,666 posts, read 20,804,778 times
I have some of the same friends I have had since I was 5, 6, 14, 17, and 18 years old. I am 52 now.

And I can top that. My mother had a roommate at the hospital when she gave birth to yours truly. They have been fast friends ever since which means our families grew up together.

Thus my oldest friend shares my birthday, almost to the hour. We never fail to wish each other Happy Birthday every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships