Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 11:24 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is a fascinating thread. No. There is NO WAY I will go into a sit down restaurant and eat by myself. I WILL go into a movie by myself if it's a movie no one else wants to watch I know, and I will drive across the country by myself and stay in hotels by myself and hike long trails alone.

But no. I won't go into a restaurant that has waitstaff serving meals by myself. I'll go into a Subway, or a different fast food place, and eat by myself.

But nope. I won't go into a restaurant alone and have a waitstaff wait on me.
I took many a vacation by myself....reason being, to me and for me, it is the most relaxing, as you can please yourself, and never have to worry if the other person is just saying they're happy going here or there, but yet, they won't give you suggestions where they would like to go.

your paying a lot of money to go away for a week or 14 days, and I finally decided to do it alone.
It was awesome! Started going to an island, and at first I was afraid to go by myself, but got used to it. There is nothing more relaxing to me, b/c you can do what you want and don't have to worry about someone days, "How come you got up so early", or, "I don't feel like doing that" and believe me, I understand that you've got to compromise, when someone else is along, but I'd hate to think that someone didn't have a good time, b/c they were afraid to say, "no", I'd rather not go here or there".

So, I used to always go on Christmas and Thanksgiving vacations by myself after that...and visited the islands 2 more times.

I drive across country by myself to see my son...and it's all good, nothing to fear.

You have to start out slowly, and take the first step, by going out to eat by yourself, then after your comfortable with that, go to a movie, alone, and then a weekend away.

When you plan weekend getaways, gives you something to look forward to....and it's so relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:32 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
I often go to the lunch buffet at a nearby Indian restaurant (usually alone), and I've never been harassed by anyone, in fact many people there are alone as well.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:39 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
What teenager would be hanging out at a rest-area, or out in the boonies at any given time of the day? I don't consider myself anti-social, far from it. If anything, I'm not willing to put my spotless record on the line for getting into a senseless argument that could easily escalate into cops getting called(since no one really wants to settle differences any more without getting those outside klutzes involved).

So to keep my hands clean and my temper down, it's better to just leave with the to-go bag, or cook at home, and just unwind.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
What teenager would be hanging out at a rest-area, or out in the boonies at any given time of the day? I don't consider myself anti-social, far from it. If anything, I'm not willing to put my spotless record on the line for getting into a senseless argument that could easily escalate into cops getting called(since no one really wants to settle differences any more without getting those outside klutzes involved).

So to keep my hands clean and my temper down, it's better to just leave with the to-go bag, or cook at home, and just unwind.
This makes no sense. Why would there be police action at a restaurant? Do you realize that tens of thousands, if not--millions, of people spend their entire working lives going out to lunch alone, or eating dinner out alone from time to time, without incident? It's an enjoyable activity. If you're going to these lengths to avoid dining in public out of fear, you have major issues. That isn't normal.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:14 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'm not willing to put my spotless record on the line for getting into a senseless argument that could easily escalate into cops getting called).

I have a goverment job and people that rely on me. There are lots of trolls out in the real world looking for trouble "pizza guy". This is exactly why I move along. People may call me passive or whatever but I know what can happen and do not want to ruin anything.

P..S, There were two guys and one girl at the Mex place. I don't know how it turned into me staring at 3 young women and my fault lol.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:22 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This makes no sense. Why would there be police action at a restaurant?
I took it as me escalating either situation.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I took it as me escalating either situation.
But those two situations have been anomalies in the OP's life. Of all the countless times he's gone out to eat on his lunch break, for some reason twice in one week there was some weirdness. The odds are extremely slim that there would be any incidents if you, or any of us, went out alone to lunch or dinner. No one else on the thread has experienced any incident remotely like that. So why would you worry about it? Unless maybe you're only into fast food, in which case the odds of encountering some weirdness might be slightly higher. But respondents on this thread have all been talking about restaurants that provide table service, not fast food places.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Not eating in a restaurant alone to avoid the inevitable confrontation, physical assault, arrest and conviction.

Okay then.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:32 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Not eating in a restaurant alone to avoid the inevitable confrontation, physical assault, arrest and conviction.

Okay then.
Yeah, backing away from this one.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I mean, I certainly hope this person doesn't drive a car, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships