Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times

Advertisements

Curious: is OP 17 and the "before" picture on the old Charles Atlas comic book advertisement?

Seven pages of, "no, never" and "something's wrong with OP." Maybe and maybe, I figure.

So here's another no, more like "hell no."

I"ve been to West Hollywood enough times, 1990-current, and need to go alone. Jan '15 was with a floozy who subsequently dumped me. I fly better solo. Think I'll find some diners, too, see below. If any classics still exist on Sunset; must be at least one.

I have a temper, I am an ogre, but I stay out of people's business who aren't behaving like a-holes or getting in my face. At 6' at 250 lbs of muscle and fast walking, Oakley wearin' pissed-off, usually people just don't because my motorcycle is loud and I'm twice as ugly. Just sayin'.

I eat alone at restaurants 90% of my outings. I love counters and diners and seek them in any town. There are usually some working guys at the counters, usually loners like me. We keep clear of the others; who cares? A paper, cup of joe, scrambled eggs and sausage, we're usually good. Want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Someone got cute like what you'd describe at the pizza, I'd first smile hugely and ask loudly, "what the ____ is your problem?" Whatever they said, answer would be "then get out of my face, sweetheart." Where it went from there is up to the other guy. No nevermind to me. Throw a soda on him, walk out. So what? I have a cell phone, don't mind phoning the cops, and I'm super-convincing when they show up by my reasonableness as a concerned citizen.

No, I don't get called a "loser" by little teeners either. I'd probably give a loud, wet, kissy smoochy sound on the way by to that girl, in the unlikely event that happened, just to watch all three pretty little birds flutter, but I'm something of a pig at my worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
And the potential for these incidents is why I always opt for the to-go bag. Eat in the car, at the house, or at some random rest-stop or park where one could place themselves way out of sight for anyone to care.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:12 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
I'm a jaded, cantankerous loner and can be seen at diners eating alone often. I also drink in bars alone. Ignore these people.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
This is a fascinating thread. No. There is NO WAY I will go into a sit down restaurant and eat by myself. I WILL go into a movie by myself if it's a movie no one else wants to watch I know, and I will drive across the country by myself and stay in hotels by myself and hike long trails alone.

But no. I won't go into a restaurant that has waitstaff serving meals by myself. I'll go into a Subway, or a different fast food place, and eat by myself.

But nope. I won't go into a restaurant alone and have a waitstaff wait on me.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Weirdest thing happened twice recently. I have been working evenings and when I went on my lunch/dinner break, I've had two different people make rude insulting comments because I was eating alone.

First was at a small mom and pop pizza joint where this guy started singing "one" by 3 dog night when walking by me eating a slice. I ended up going back inside for a refill and he told his friend "If he hits me, he's going to jail!" What a punk!

The other I stopped at a mexican place and these three 20 year olds were eating and the girl said "what a loser"

I tell the waiter to bring the check with the food because I am on break and i hear them say "yeah right" i just tried to ignored them while they were scraping pennies to pay for their meal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?
No, and this doesn't seem to be real.

For example three 20 year old girls would be too busy texting and hardly talking to the ones at their table never mind another table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Never, ever happened to me. Hollywood, CA? Sounds about right...
Actually it isn't.

I live in LA, Hollywood is constantly loaded with tourists, people from other states and other countries, the last thing they're looking at is another table.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Pretty sure..Adults can feed themselves..How close they are in proximity to another person doing the same antic of feeding themselves...Is well..Irrelevant..

I've listen to folks comment in varying ways
..Ohh the poor dear...Or ..Guess he is waiting for someone...

I dine out ...And be it with friends or alone...I pick up my fork the same way..So..Umm wheres (who's)the problem?.. hmmmm..

Old 08-31-2017, 01:48 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
On a business trip I was eating at a casual theme restaurant that had a gimmick of having a telephone on each table and a big number hanging over the table that could be seen from around the room. Before I even had a chance to order the phone rang and I picked it up expecting to hear a waiter asking for my order or something - I didn't realize at first that it was a call from another table until I heard laughing and giggling but nothing else until it hung up. A little while later it rang again and apparently someone said something about eating alone and I discerned both male and female voices at the table before they again hung up. I started looking around for reactions and saw two couples looking my way until I looked towards them and they quickly turned away; I also noted their table number.

I was finishing my dinner and out of the corner of my eye saw them getting up to leave so I dialed their table when only one, rather large, woman was left. She picked up the phone and I said "tomorrow my business trip will be over and I'll be going home to my family but you'll still be fat and ugly." She quickly hung up and, for a big girl, she got out of there real fast. That was kind of nasty on my part but as they say "don't mess with the bull if you can't take the horns."

Old 08-31-2017, 06:10 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
On a business trip I was eating at a casual theme restaurant that had a gimmick of having a telephone on each table and a big number hanging over the table that could be seen from around the room. Before I even had a chance to order the phone rang and I picked it up expecting to hear a waiter asking for my order or something - I didn't realize at first that it was a call from another table until I heard laughing and giggling but nothing else until it hung up. A little while later it rang again and apparently someone said something about eating alone and I discerned both male and female voices at the table before they again hung up. I started looking around for reactions and saw two couples looking my way until I looked towards them and they quickly turned away; I also noted their table number.

I was finishing my dinner and out of the corner of my eye saw them getting up to leave so I dialed their table when only one, rather large, woman was left. She picked up the phone and I said "tomorrow my business trip will be over and I'll be going home to my family but you'll still be fat and ugly." She quickly hung up and, for a big girl, she got out of there real fast. That was kind of nasty on my part but as they say "don't mess with the bull if you can't take the horns."
Sad! People are real brave in groups, and you have people who when they see others are talking mean, they love to jump in, just to antaganise the situation, but alone, it's a different story. And they are raising kids?
to be just like them.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

I sure hope you got the right table...

Old 08-31-2017, 07:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
And the potential for these incidents is why I always opt for the to-go bag. Eat in the car, at the house, or at some random rest-stop or park where one could place themselves way out of sight for anyone to care.
You wouldn't eat in public alone on the extreme off-chance that a teenager might make a comment to his friends about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships