Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times

Advertisements

We get together every few weeks to catch up and sometimes take a weekend or day trip also.

If we are together all day I don't expect her to stay off the phone all day but when we are eating out it seems so rude. I have mentioned it enough that she knows how I feel about it. I can tell she is irritated that this bothers me. Last week we had 4 gals at the table and after she texted a few minutes I asked if she could do that later so we could enjoy the meal. She asked the 2 other gals if they minded and they said they didn't so she continued. Sometimes she will tell me what so & so is texting and what she is texting back. urgggg

It is at the point that I either need to decline plans to go eat and tell her why or try one more time to explain
the problem. Should I just tell her I don't want to eat out with her unless she is willing to put her phone away. That leaves it up to her.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
It's really freeing to NOT try to control other people. Remember, she's not your child and you're not dating her. Enjoy your day.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 PM

741 posts, read 590,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
We get together every few weeks to catch up and sometimes take a weekend or day trip also.

If we are together all day I don't expect her to stay off the phone all day but when we are eating out it seems so rude. I have mentioned it enough that she knows how I feel about it. I can tell she is irritated that this bothers me. Last week we had 4 gals at the table and after she texted a few minutes I asked if she could do that later so we could enjoy the meal. She asked the 2 other gals if they minded and they said they didn't so she continued. Sometimes she will tell me what so & so is texting and what she is texting back. urgggg

It is at the point that I either need to decline plans to go eat and tell her why or try one more time to explain
the problem. Should I just tell her I don't want to eat out with her unless she is willing to put her phone away. That leaves it up to her.
Yes you should. But I’d do it in a very quiet, matter-of-fact, “this is something that really bothers me and I’d like to talk to you about it” kind of way without being confrontational. Then follow through. The first time you decline she’ll finally understand that you’re serious. But be prepared for it to end the friendship unless she cares enough to change her behavior.

For the record, I agree with you. It’s really rude. If a friend ignores repeated requests to stop an annoying or offensive behavior I’d stop going out with her. It means she cares more about what she wants to do than she does about how you feel. That’s selfish. True friends don’t treat each other that way.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Yes you should. But I’d do it in a very quiet, matter-of-fact, “this is something that really bothers me and I’d like to talk to you about it” kind of way without being confrontational. Then follow through. The first time you decline she’ll finally understand that you’re serious. But be prepared for it to end the friendship unless she cares enough to change her behavior.

For the record, I agree with you. It’s really rude. If a friend ignores repeated requests to stop an annoying or offensive behavior I’d stop going out with her. It means she cares more about what she wants to do than she does about how you feel. That’s selfish. True friends don’t treat each other that way.
She is dear to me but she does tend to be self absorbed..

Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 PM

130,388 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post

life is too short to be with selfish people

Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's really freeing to NOT try to control other people. Remember, she's not your child and you're not dating her. Enjoy your day.
Having boundaries about how I allow others to treat me isn't controlling.

She is free to text as much as she wants but she can't have my company eating out while doing so.
Her choice.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
OP, you could meet this friend at a restaurant and if she starts texting ask her not to.
If she continues to text, stand up, tell her you are leaving and why, pay your check, leave the tip and move on with your day.
It appears to me that your presence is not as important to her as her presence is to you so leave her sitting at the table,
alone.

or

You could leave quietly while she is texting and see how long it takes her to notice you are gone.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP, you could meet this friend at a restaurant and if she starts texting ask her not to.
If she did stop she would be mad about it and I think if I ask her ahead of time it may avoid the drama.
The guy she used to date got mad at her about the same thing.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:05 PM

741 posts, read 590,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The guy she used to date got mad at her about the same thing.
Maybe you should remind her of that fact. Now 2 people are annoyed by her inconsiderate behavior.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I think it's funny you keep hanging out with this boorish person.

Why do you do it?

There's literally zero reason to keep her in your life...she promise you a kidney or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships