Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,975 times

Advertisements

I try to be pleasant to all, but there is this one lady that is getting under my skin. We have several acquaintances in common and there are often social gatherings with these other couples that I am not included. She always makes it known that she was invited (but I was not). I don't know how to respond to her constant needling that I am not part of the "in-crowd". I have been holding my tongue and acting like I do not care, but honestly it is starting to wear on me. There is no way to avoid these people and I live in a small town and frankly I don't want her to think she has influenced me.

My question is: what would be a good come back to stop her from being so nasty? I am always at a loss for words when she starts her harping. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
"Why do you feel this matters enough to share with me?"

Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
First, realize she's no "lady."

Old 11-08-2017, 10:40 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
When you run into her, are you in a captive situation?

If you're just about town and she comes up to you and starts her chit, take a quick exit. "Oh, how lovely for you! :::smilesmile::: Gotta run!"

Make yourself walk off confidently (fake it if you must) and go about your business.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
"WOW! You are SUPER important/popular! GOOD for YOU!"
All done with a big smile on your face.
Don't say anything else.

Best of luck.
I can definitely see how it would be wearing.
Keep in mind, she's obviously very insecure.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Id just start laughing out loud at her every time.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:05 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
You should keep some cookies in your purse. And when she starts harping, offer her one.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I respond to this person's jabs????-cookie.jpg  

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
While I just love some of the other's responses, I'd probably go with making her very uncomfortable.

You could say something along the lines of, "Wow - you must get some kind of pleasure out of trying to make me feel bad. I don't, actually, but why would you say something like that to me?"

Or I'd ignore her - forever. I'm mature like that.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgaskill View Post
I try to be pleasant to all, but there is this one lady that is getting under my skin. We have several acquaintances in common and there are often social gatherings with these other couples that I am not included. She always makes it known that she was invited (but I was not). I don't know how to respond to her constant needling that I am not part of the "in-crowd". I have been holding my tongue and acting like I do not care, but honestly it is starting to wear on me. There is no way to avoid these people and I live in a small town and frankly I don't want her to think she has influenced me.

My question is: what would be a good come back to stop her from being so nasty? I am always at a loss for words when she starts her harping. Thanks
Taking into account that I'm a crusty 71 yr old guy people like this get just what they ask for.....plain talk upside the head!!! Don't bait this old bear and expect to come out unscathed! I've learned not to cut people like this any slack and you should too!!

In other words....either publicly snub this person or tell this person just how you feel then turn and walk away.

Last edited by Retired in Illinois; 11-08-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 11:27 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
How about "thank you for the update on who's invited where-- pls keep me posted!"

Don't recall where but I read one time a response to snarky things is to reply with something totally unrelated that confuses them and they are not able to get the hurt response they were looking for--- for example

Rude lady: "you weren't invited to Nancy's dinner"

You: " Can I borrow some sugar? I have brown, but I don't know if I can use it for sugar cookies?" Pleasant poker face

Her :" what?"

You: " hmm, oh you know I have a coupon so I better hurry to that sale, bye!"

Her: scratching head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships