Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 PM

38 posts, read 51,911 times

Advertisements

So once upon a time i had family but now I don't because they were abusive + other issues. I have a sister nearby in NJ but I can barely ever find her and she's on coke real bad and she had her babies taken away by the state. So yeah, no TG with her!

So what do people with no families do on TG and Christmas? I'm always bored and don't have nothing to do and nowhere to really go. I have friends and roommates but they go w/ their families. I dont normally get invites, probably because 1.) I'm not family and 2.) there might not be enough food. So that's out.

I could cook my own holiday meals but I would have to cook a whole bunch bc that's how they sell that stuff. No point in cooking for twelve if it's just me and my dog.

I wouldn't mind going out to a restaurant but if you want a holiday type meal it gets too expensive $$$. I could get Chinese but meh, I like Turkey and stuff.

For Christmas I normally just go to the movies but was looking for something new to do. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Before my brother move here to his wife mean then girl friend I was all alone with my daughter as my parents live in USA. There were some years I live all alone with my little one. What I have done I buy the whole Turkey and make it and freeze the rest. So basically I have Christmas till the new year!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
If there is a Whole Foods or similar store near you? They have a deli with all sorts of holiday food that you can buy premade in small quantities, right down to gravy and cranberry. I've been alone for holidays and done that.

I usually decide what it is I'd really like to eat and what it is I'd really like to do and then I do that - sometimes it's hiking, a movie, reading a great book etc. Holidays are only depressing when you're alone if you let them be....they can also be nice and relaxing too.

Another thing you can do is volunteer to help feed the homeless.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Now I go to the free community lunches and dinners, plus my senior apt bldg has potlucks for us. And I'm okay with just getting a couple movies and a pizza on the day of the holiday.

What I used to do when I cared about being alone for the holidays, is I would volunteer to help where they were doing the free community meals. It was fun, and I also got to eat a meal there. Even if you just show up on the day and say you want to help, they'll point you at something to do.

Going out for a movie is fun, too. But, I usually opt for a Redbox movie or Netflix nowadays (also to save money).

Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 PM

49 posts, read 77,233 times
Find new/more friends. There are always events on meetup.com if you'd like to be with people.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Obviously spend it with friends.

If you are estranged from family and have no friends, I think the problem is probably a bit bigger than where to spend the holidays.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Being In Love View Post
I have friends and roommates but they go w/ their families. I dont normally get invites, probably because 1.) I'm not family and 2.) there might not be enough food. So that's out.

I could cook my own holiday meals but I would have to cook a whole bunch bc that's how they sell that stuff. No point in cooking for twelve if it's just me and my dog.

I wouldn't mind going out to a restaurant but if you want a holiday type meal it gets too expensive $$$. I could get Chinese but meh, I like Turkey and stuff.

For Christmas I normally just go to the movies but was looking for something new to do. Any suggestions?
This is almost certainly a troll post, but here ya go.
Thanksgiving is all about sharing a meal with someone. You've taken care to rule that out. My suggestion is to take a walk in the woods or a park and have a picnic. DH and I skipped out on the family event and did just that a few years back. It's one of our favorite Thanksgiving memories ever. We were in a state park, the temp was in the mid-30s and we saw solo folks doing the same so lack of company and cold weather are no excuse, unless you want them to be.

Pretty sure you'll find a reason to diss this suggestion.

Back in the day, some 30-40 years ago, I had a job that required I work every Thanksgiving. Since my family lived hours away, that meant I missed out on the festivities. I survived, thrived even, and you will too if you want.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:01 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Volunteer!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:31 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doh View Post
Find new/more friends. There are always events on meetup.com if you'd like to be with people.
Not easy for most people.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:48 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Being In Love View Post
So once upon a time i had family but now I don't because they were abusive + other issues. I have a sister nearby in NJ but I can barely ever find her and she's on coke real bad and she had her babies taken away by the state. So yeah, no TG with her!

So what do people with no families do on TG and Christmas? I'm always bored and don't have nothing to do and nowhere to really go. I have friends and roommates but they go w/ their families. I dont normally get invites, probably because 1.) I'm not family and 2.) there might not be enough food. So that's out.

Before I address your post there are many circumstances when one has little to no friends leaving people alone for the holiday's. Shyness and being intoverted rank at the top. But as you see there are some out there who point fingers, hinting the reason one is alone for the holiday's is you are either an untrustworthy person, not fun to be around, offer nothing in return, and other mean stereotypes. Sadly there are some who do not mind making one feel worse about their situation. I strongly recommend don't pay attention to these types.

It's hit or miss for me on Thanksgiving. I get invited or I don't. I have very few options and would never consider inviting myself over someone's house.

As a non-Christian, Christmas means nothing to me but I realize it is a big deal for many.

Just try and treat it like any other day you have to spend alone. That is what I do. I've been doing it most of my life and truly hate it. I wish it wasn't that way. I tried and I did put forth a better effort in recent years but I easily back down and never force myself on anyone. I've pretty much given up and just deal with being alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships