Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago I was out with my co-worker doing a job. We were just talking and I know he's into music. We were by our cars, so I gave him a CD with the case and book to listen to and borrow.

Since then, I have seen him like 20 times and he still has not given the CD back to me.

Another guy I work with I let him borrow a movie like a few years ago. We were talking about it and I took the effort to find it that night, remember to bring it in and give it to him. I see him almost every day and he hasn't returned it.

Now, the cost to rebuy both the movie and CD are 5 bucks each, maybe less. So, if I ever want those things again, I'll just rebuy them. I don't think either of those guys are cheap.

Now it's definitely not a BIG deal. But if you have borrowed something from somebody, and its easy enough, just return it. It looks really good because so many people just do not give a sh@t. Especially if you work with them and see them essentially every day.

The next time I'm just going to say "Just take this." Lol. I think guys are especially bad at this sh@t. I did give a movie to a woman in my office and she returned it.

So, anyway, in the spirit of not being a hypocrite, I made my own little list of things that I have...

-My best friends copy of Elf and his guitar, which he never plays. I've been meaning to give his guitar back. It's at my parents house. I never see him because he has kids and lives in another city. But next time I'll make it happen and throw the copy of Elf in.

That's all I can think of for now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
What do you have that you've borrowed from other people and never returned?

Nothing. I hate when people do it to me so I don't do it to others. Actually I prefer not to borrow or lend out anything. The last thing that was loaned to me was a book that a friend wanted me to read. I gave it back as soon as I finished reading it.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Yeah, I'm with ylisa7. Anything I've borrowed, it is in the back of my mind at all times that I need to return this thing in the same condition or else it is my responsibility to replace it. I don't like that feeling. I'm probably a great person to lend things to.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:17 AM

741 posts, read 590,203 times
I know this isn’t exactly what you asked, but I’ve loaned things to people that I never got back. When I was in my early 20’s I had 2 expensive Renaissance Faire costumes that I loaned to a friend who wanted to go to the fair with another friend. She claimed to have given them back to me, but I could never find them. She wasn’t the type to keep them intentionally so I had no idea what happened to them. We were both at a phase in our lives where we each moved around a couple of times in a 2 year period, so I wasn’t entirely sure if she accidentally left them at her parents house, or if accidentally lost or donated the box of costumes during one of my moves. I turned my own place upside down looking for them and I asked her to search her own place and her parents house. Although she said she looked, I suspect she didn’t, which is why I believe they were still in a box at her parents house. I felt the loss of those costumes keenly because I had only worn them a couple of times and was still planning to use them. They were beautifully made and a little luxury I splurged on when I finally got my first decent paying job.

I used to regularly loan a beaded bustier (when that was popular in the 90’s) to a roommate whenever she wanted to go clubbing. I had only worn it once when she started asking to borrow it. It ended up permanently in her room until I insisted on getting back after we’d had an argument. She tossed it back to me and it was damaged. The damage was repairable, but I had no desire to wear it after that. We both moved shortly after that and I had to sue the apartment management to get our deposits back. I didn’t want the bustier anymore because it reminded me of my former demon-roommate-from-hell and that whole unpleasant time. That’s when I decided never to loan clothes anymore.

I recently borrowed a movie from our church’s seminarian, and returned it after a week even though I didn’t have a chance to watch it. I felt like keeping it longer was unreasonable and I didn’t want to forget to return it to him.

I loaned a large serving bowl to a friend who could never figure out where she put it, so I never got it back. Her house is extremely cluttered so I didn’t want to press her to find it. It was a low cost item, but it was a nice big bowl so I kind of miss it. It’s more about the inconvenience of not having a big bowl when I need it. But she’s my best friend so she’s forgiven. She felt so bad about not returning it that she’s never borrowed anything from me since. I’d still loan stuff to her though if she needed it.

I’ve never accidentally kept a borrowed item because I know how that feels. Other than the movie, I try not to borrow items from people because I don’t want to be responsible for remembering to return them. I’ll either buy it myself if it’s a low cost item or just do without it.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Now it's definitely not a BIG deal. But if you have borrowed something from somebody, and its easy enough, just return it. It looks really good because so many people just do not give a sh@t. Especially if you work with them and see them essentially every day.
Have you asked for any of these items to be returned? Perhaps you shouldn't have to, but still ...

And yet, you admit you have your best friend's guitar.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
One recipe...

Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
I have a Genesis album, that I've had since the 70's. One of my best friend's uncles who was about my age, were talking about the band, and he asked me if I'd ever listened to a particular album, and I told him I had not, so he went home and got it for me to listen to. So he lent it to me...and that was the last time I ever saw that particular uncle. lol

Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Nothing. I would not be able to look at the other person anymore if I know I owe something.

However, the book/CD/movie experience you made - have experienced that in my teens and haven't given out anything since or haven't expected it back. Too much hassle to get it back.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post

And yet, you admit you have your best friend's guitar.
Of course I do.

When you criticize somebody, look at yourself. I'm not sure how many people here do that.

Still not a single person has admitted to borrowing something (from someone that they can reasonably return it to) and having never returned it.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
One time, my Mother loaned a chainsaw to a co-worker, he then loaned it to his Father who left it out and it was stolen, I told my Mother "Tell him he should replace it" She refused. I then saw him on occasion and mentioned how "MY Mother brought me up to replace items I borrowed and lost, pity OTHERS didn't get that lesson"...

He never did repay her...Jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships