Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a member of your local NextDoor community?
Of course, how else can I stay up to date? 45 45.00%
No, I am not a joiner. 44 44.00%
Now I am thinking about it. 11 11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Are any of you on the social network for your neighborhood, NextDoor? It is basically like the community room bulletin board, newsletter and gossip sheet all in one.

I check in daily to see what is happening, and I am amazed and amused all the time by the posts.

Recent stuff this week in my hood:
"Hi neighbors, watch out for this women hitting garage sales. She bought half my stuff, I helped her load it in the car, and then she drove off without paying! I can't believe that happened!"

"Hi neighbors, have you seen my skeeball table? Someone stole it from my driveway."

"Hi neighbors, I complained last week about the irresponsible dog owner leaving poop in my yard. This has now happened five times and I can't take it anymore. I'll be watching for you, and I am going to call the cops!"

Fess up. Are you on Nextdoor? What are people talking about in your neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,326 times
Yeah, I tried their sign up for free thing, and they waltzed me right into asking for my credit card and phone number. No thanks.... Nice promo post though.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Our neighborhood has a closed Facebook page.
Never heard of NextDoor.

Did not vote as none of the options apply.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Our neighborhood has a Facebook page.
Never heard of NextDoor.
It might be a sort of silicon valley thing! LOL. The founder lives in Silicon Valley, and my engineer coworkers told me about it. But it is so hilarious! Particularly because my neighborhood and the ones nearby have such a good cross section of people in it.

One epic post started when someone racially profiled a black guy on a bike with a child carrier attached out and about at sunrise. It exploded into satire of his post told from the perspective of the guy who was profiled! And then calls for being more sensitive.

There is more useful info posted as well, like city meetings, the police captain posts neighborhood crime stats and suspect descriptions. People post their garage sales or lists of stuff they are giving away....

Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

There is more useful info posted as well, like city meetings, the police captain posts neighborhood crime stats and suspect descriptions. People post their garage sales or lists of stuff they are giving away....
Sounds a lot like our Facebook page... except we mention the bear sightings, bus stop schedules, etc too!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Fess up. Are you on Nextdoor? What are people talking about in your neighborhood?
There's a gossip site for neighbors now? I am so done with this generation.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:33 PM

205 posts, read 245,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I know what you mean, I can't stand gossipers. They usually end up spreading false rumors anyway.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I am going to call the whining, "gossip." :P

"Dear neighbors, can you park a little more carefully, since everyone is taking up too much space, the parking spot in from of my house isn't available. Thanks for your help."

"Dear neighbors, I have heard some loud party noises coming from Main Street late at night, can ya'll keep it down. We can hear you."

It isn't "real" gossip. Unless you count something like "Hi neighbors, my buddy just opened a bakery. Come to the opening party on Tuesday."

Nothing particularly malicious.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,520 times
I just signed up so I could check my neighborhood's posts and make sure there weren't any about my teenaged son running around being a nuisence lol. He is a really good kid, but you never know.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
I'm on my neighborhood's NextDoor, but there's very little gossip at all. There's one guy who spams the board about his band's gigs, but other than that it's pretty tame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships