Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 6,682 times

Advertisements

Did your favorite waitress at your favorite restaurant ever take you to the movies, a concert, a county fair, or an amusement park?

Did your favorite bartender at your favorite bar/tavern ever take you out for your birthday or give you a ride home when he/she got off work?

Have you ever had lunch or dinner with your co-workers?

Do you have get-togethers with that person you met one night at the local nightclub?

Or do you still talk to and/or hang out with at least 50 or more of your high school classmates 25 years after high school graduation?

I can easily guarantee nobody on this forum would ever answer "Yes" to any of the above questions. In America, friendships are fake, superficial, and fleeting, mostly a facade. Not only long distance moves, but even getting a new job in a different field or even at a different place can also terminate friendships in America. When Americans don't see each other for months and years, they actually grow much less fond of each other. Most of them even become flat out strangers and don't remember their friends. High school is the first place where people find that out the hard way. People graduate, they move on, and they never see their high school classmates for the rest of their whole lives. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-11-2018 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: bait/fixed the thread title and edited thread to keep it open

Old 02-10-2018, 08:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
What happened to you OP? Do you want to talk about it?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Might as well answer the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic1 View Post
Did your favorite waitress at your favorite restaurant ever take you to the movies, a concert, a county fair, or an amusement park?
I don't have a favorite restaurant, much less a favorite waitperson. I like to try new places a lot.

Quote:
Did your favorite bartender at your favorite bar/tavern ever take you out for your birthday or give you a ride home when he/she got off work?
No, but we made out a few times and went to a party together. Then he met someone else.

Quote:
Frequently.

Quote:
Do you have get-togethers with that person you met one night at the local nightclub?
I've met a lot of friends at local gathering spots around town. Usually we have friends in common.

Quote:
Or do you still talk to and/or hang out with at least 50 or more of your high school classmates 25 years after high school graduation?
I moved away 30 years ago but I would say I still regularly talk to and hang out (when we are in the same area) with maybe 10-15. I'm going to my hometown next weekend and have a lot of plans.

[quote]I can easily guarantee nobody on this forum would ever answer "Yes" to any of the above questions. In America, friendships are fake, superficial, and fleeting, mostly a facade. Not only long distance moves, but even getting a new job in a different field or even at a different place can also terminate friendships in America. When Americans don't see each other for months and years, they actually grow much less fond of each other. Most of them even become flat out strangers and don't remember their friends. High school is the first place where people find that out the hard way. People graduate, they move on, and they never see their high school classmates for the rest of their whole lives.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-11-2018 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: deleted quote and your response

Old 02-10-2018, 08:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
This and your other thread about long distance friendships not lasting - you need to move on dude! Find better friends, you may find you need to start by being a better friend yourself to start with.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:34 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Still bitter over Allison?

Quote:
Why would they?

Quote:
Again, why would they? Not that I have a favorite bartender.

Quote:
Just had lunch with 5 coworkers on Friday. Had dinner with three of them the week before. I've entertained them in my home and been to their homes.

Quote:
Nightclub? Too old for that crap.

Quote:
Why would I want to still be friends with 50 people from high school? I much prefer a few close friendships rather than 50 not so close friendships. As I expressed in your other thread, I'm still very close to friends I went to college with in the 90's. Our last visit was a trip to the mountains in November. We had a blast. Planning a beach trip this summer.

Quote:
I can easily guarantee nobody on this forum would ever answer "Yes" to any of the above questions.
Well clearly you're wrong.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:40 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

I can easily guarantee nobody on this forum would ever answer "Yes" to any of the above questions. In America, friendships are fake, superficial, and fleeting, mostly a facade. Not only long distance moves, but even getting a new job in a different field or even at a different place can also terminate friendships in America. When Americans don't see each other for months and years, they actually grow much less fond of each other. Most of them even become flat out strangers and don't remember their friends. High school is the first place where people find that out the hard way. People graduate, they move on, and they never see their high school classmates for the rest of their whole lives. In America, people drift apart very easily and they don't actually care about each other.
One of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on City-Data, and that's quite an accomplishment.

If you are hanging out with your "favorite waitress" or "favorite bartender", that's not a friendship.

Yes, of course I have had lunch or dinner with co-workers. And gone to their houses and gone to baseball games, and now that I am retired, I still have lunch and dinner and do things with the friends I made at work.

I'm way past the nightclub stage. Good lord.

Nobody hangs out with at least 50 or more classmates 25 years later. Nobody. I do get together regularly with about 15 of them, though, 40 years later.

Drunk posting is not a good idea, dude. What on earth were you thinking? You sound as if you had a head injury.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:53 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
No. I presume most waitresses refrain from socializing with customers to avoid awkwardness at work.

Quote:
No. I presume most bartenders refrain from socializing with customers to avoid awkwardness at work.

Quote:
Yes, but infrequently.

Quote:
No. Nightclubs are not my thing.

Quote:
Seriously?!?!

Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times
Quote:

I can easily guarantee nobody on this forum would ever answer "Yes" to any of the above questions. In America, friendships are fake, superficial, and fleeting, mostly a facade. Not only long distance moves, but even getting a new job in a different field or even at a different place can also terminate friendships in America. When Americans don't see each other for months and years, they actually grow much less fond of each other. Most of them even become flat out strangers and don't remember their friends. High school is the first place where people find that out the hard way. People graduate, they move on, and they never see their high school classmates for the rest of their whole lives Moderator cut: delete.

Completely agree 100% here! Most people are full of crap. Then you have people that say they want friends, but will make a thousand excuses why they can't return texts or hang out with you once in a while and they never initiate contact. I want friends but just don't have time to deal with mess like this. I am trying to learn to enjoy my own company.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-11-2018 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 11:46 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Still bitter over Allison?
Well, I'm bitter over Allison, too.

Met her in the ladies room at Morton's. Got to talking and discovered some common interests. It was the most meaningful five minutes of my life.

Yet she never writes, never calls. And now she's moved out of town. Good thing I have a dog, because humans suck.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:47 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So what? Nothing lasts forever. Get used to it. You sound like an emotional vampire. You should cut off and get rid of that needy umbilical cord you're trying to permanently chain up other people with. Resign yourself to people being temporary.
I've never heard the phrase 'emotional vampire' before. I've heard the phrase 'energy vampire' used to describe someone who tries to suck all the energy from the people around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships