Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 04:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,849 times

Advertisements

I'm mid thirties and the older I get the less social interaction I need. People just seem to irritate me. Is that normal? We just moved and I would like to make friends and find my tribe so to speak, but it ain't happening. Advice?

When I was younger, I used to love to be around people-now I just don't trust em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 04:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I'm mid thirties and the older I get the less social interaction I need. People just seem to irritate me. Is that normal? We just moved and I would like to make friends and find my tribe so to speak, but it ain't happening. Advice?

When I was younger, I used to love to be around people-now I just don't trust em.
I believe this happens because the older we get, the less BS we are willing to put up with.

Ideally you understand yourself better and are more in tune with your own likes and dislikes. You probably don't need external validation the way you might have when you were young, so this is a good thing.

Advice? Just be patient. I stopped looking for my tribe. I stopped trying to find friends and just lived my life. The people who are real friends have made themselves known to me over time, and it's been nice. The circle might be smaller than when I was young, but I think it's stronger.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 PM

111 posts, read 29,820 times
We are living in tough times and around a lot of people who just aren't trustworthy.

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do, OP!

Many of us even older are in the same predicament.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,734,172 times
Young people need group membership more than older people. EVERYTHING is about fitting in with the crowd that has the job connections and social prospects. That is a very good reason to cultivate and maintain social position in a group.

When you become self sufficient and self actualizing, the irritations of people become hard to ignore. Whatever existed before on the plus side no longer offsets the garbage that was there the whole time. The mindless little rituals that make up part of belonging to a group become a tired charade and an irritation. The whole thing seems childish and small.

Unless you are weak minded and cannot stand being apart from a group and the identity/role that the group gives you, you'll be better off without it. When you don't have a group that is constantly trying to get you to fit into it's program, you can really grow and develop sides of yourself you probably didn't even know existed.

Be glad you're growing up. Some people never do.

Last edited by tommy64; 08-26-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I believe this happens because the older we get, the less BS we are willing to put up with.

Ideally you understand yourself better and are more in tune with your own likes and dislikes. You probably don't need external validation the way you might have when you were young, so this is a good thing.

Advice? Just be patient. I stopped looking for my tribe. I stopped trying to find friends and just lived my life. The people who are real friends have made themselves known to me over time, and it's been nice. The circle might be smaller than when I was young, but I think it's stronger.
You are exactly right. I would like to have a bestie though. I miss having a girlfriend I could be completely honest with.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Don't give in to those types of feelings.I have been betrayed by a lot of people whom I thought were my friends..whom I have known for years.Always try to remember that there are a lot of good decent people out there in the world but if you keep the negative thoughts about people in general like you have...you will miss those nice people.
Obviously there have been things you've gone through to make you feel this way about people...I know it's hard to believe but don't give in to that type of thinking.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Did you move away from the retirement community?

Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No, no. We are still here. We have made friends with the neighbors, even the elderly parking spot guy. They are pretty nice-but they are really nosy.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I'm in my 40's and this has happened to me, too.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:54 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
No, no. We are still here. We have made friends with the neighbors, even the elderly parking spot guy. They are pretty nice-but they are really nosy.
I'm glad to hear everything worked out with the old man.

I've found that the older you get, the more difficult it becomes to make new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships