Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM

73 posts, read 41,061 times

Advertisements

My sister and I purchased a home together last year. Only I was dating at the time and I would usually visit my boyfriend at his place. My sister started dating shortly after we purchased the home. The guy she is dating is 35 and currently lives at home with his parents. He has been divorced for approximately 4 years and does work. He does spend most of his time sleeping at our place, which I do not like at all as he does not contribute to the household. Currently he is spending approximately 3 weeks sleeping at our house as his and my sister's job is on a shutdown. I asked my sister to please ask him to pay at least for the utilities and she agreed to ask, but initially she got upset that I would even ask her to do something like that.

Last night, my sister and I were eating dinner in the kitchen when our garage door opened. I got really scared and thought to call the police, but it was her boyfriend. I did not know he had our garage door code and he just walked into our kitchen like nothing happened. I told him never to do that again and to always ring the doorbell. That's common sense, but why would someone do that if they know that person is home?! It angers me so much as I have to control my temper with him in respect for my sister...

Please give advice on what you would do with someone who doesn't contribute and also doesn't present common sense. We are two women living in a home and I sure wouldn't do that to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,212,387 times
Start walking around in your underwear around you sister and her boyfriend

Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Does your boyfriend ring the doorbell?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

yep! and I knock when I visit him as well. anyone I have ever known knocks lol

Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibananas View Post
yep! and I knock when I visit him as well. anyone I have ever known knocks lol
Except your sister and her BF?

You need to talk to your sister about rules and expectations. There is a difference, and right now YOU have some expectations that she may or may not know about but we don't know if y'all set any house rules.

You have to have a discussion and compromise just like you would with any other roommate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Start walking around in your underwear around you sister and her boyfriend
haha!!! nice idea. I do that already upstairs. Maybe I can take it downstairs and act drunk lol

371 posts, read 288,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibananas View Post
My sister and I purchased a home together last year. Only I was dating at the time and I would usually visit my boyfriend at his place. My sister started dating shortly after we purchased the home. The guy she is dating is 35 and currently lives at home with his parents. He has been divorced for approximately 4 years and does work. He does spend most of his time sleeping at our place, which I do not like at all as he does not contribute to the household. Currently he is spending approximately 3 weeks sleeping at our house as his and my sister's job is on a shutdown. I asked my sister to please ask him to pay at least for the utilities and she agreed to ask, but initially she got upset that I would even ask her to do something like that.

Last night, my sister and I were eating dinner in the kitchen when our garage door opened. I got really scared and thought to call the police, but it was her boyfriend. I did not know he had our garage door code and he just walked into our kitchen like nothing happened. I told him never to do that again and to always ring the doorbell. That's common sense, but why would someone do that if they know that person is home?! It angers me so much as I have to control my temper with him in respect for my sister...

Please give advice on what you would do with someone who doesn't contribute and also doesn't present common sense. We are two women living in a home and I sure wouldn't do that to anyone.
Tell him directly he needs to use the doorbell.
Also ask him directly when he plans on splitting 1/3 of the rent & utiltiies since he lives there.
If he's there just half of the time, anytime throughout the day or evening, maybe pro-rate it
He will then spend more time at mom and dads where he probably is paying rent (or was)
Don't keep bugging your sister about it. He may become your brother in law someday
Hopefully she plans on paying for him the rest of her life,, if this occurs

Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM

371 posts, read 288,370 times
Quote:
odd question. Why would he do otherwise?
she lives with her sister remember
and she has already spoken to her about "rules and expectations" by requesting he use the doorbell like normal people
yet he responded like you did.
Are you reading the thread at all?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
odd question. Why would he do otherwise?
she lives with her sister remember
Her sister's BF doesn't ring the doorbell. So I wondered if her BF did. I don't assume things. I ask about them.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Except your sister and her BF?

You need to talk to your sister about rules and expectations. There is a difference, and right now YOU have some expectations that she may or may not know about but we don't know if y'all set any house rules.

You have to have a discussion and compromise just like you would with any other roommate.

well my sister lives with me so she doesn't have to knock. Her BF is not a resident, but yes it has been a couple times where I didn't know he was there sleep in her room and I thought I was home alone and yes I did walk around with nothing on as I thought I was alone... he left out of the garage and I called the police as I thought someone was in the house with me.

I have talked to her about that and swore each time it wouldn't happen again. I'm just tired of the foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships