Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times

Advertisements

Basically it's an office clerical work position. A woman my mother worked with at one point, called my mom telling her to encourage me to apply. So of course I did. My friend and I were talking, and I excitedly told her the good news. She asked me if any other positions were open, and I told her to check. She did and ended up applying for the same position as me. She claims she had already automatically applied because her resume is uploaded to the site (indeed.)The HR manager at the office emailed her and told her to fax her application. I hand delivered mine to the woman interviewing for the position (my mom's coworker.)

Now for a little background, I will have my Bachelor's in psychology next year, I'm not working at the moment. My friend has an Associate's in social work. My work experience is mainly retail, while my friend has office experience. She works as a server and has a part time job at city hall in my town. Now here's where the "issue" comes in. My friend in question just got a call back from the office, I haven't yet (given my lack of experience, I probably won't.) The HR manager is the one who grades the applications and decides who makes the cut for the testing/interviewing process. My mother's old coworker is just interviewing the ones the HR manager decides to pass. I'm feeling a little discouraged but I'm hoping a better opportunity will come along.

Another friend and I were talking about the situation. He thinks she has just as much of a right to apply as I do. I agreed with him. But another friend of mine thinks it was kind of "snaky" of her to apply for the same position and it would be messed up if she got the job that was "offered" to me. Like I said, I'd be disappointed, and there might be some awkwardness between us if she does get the job. I don't know, I'm feeling a lot of mixed emotions. I wished her luck, but I still can't help but feel a little disappointed. I don't think she's being "malicious" otherwise she wouldn't be telling me anything. That's what I'd like to think anyway.

How would you all feel?

Last edited by Auraliea; 05-15-2018 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 12:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Basically it's an office clerical work position. A woman my mother worked with at one point, called my mom telling her to encourage me to apply. So of course I did. My friend and I were talking, and I excitedly told her the good news. She asked me if any other positions were open, and I told her to check. She did and ended up applying for the same position as me. She claims she had already automatically applied because her resume is uploaded to the site (indeed.)The HR manager at the office emailed her and told her to fax her application. I hand delivered mine to the woman interviewing for the position (my mom's coworker.)

Now for a little background, I will have my Bachelor's in psychology next year, I'm not working at the moment. My friend has an Associate's in social work. My work experience is mainly retail, while my friend has office experience. She works as a server and has a part time job at city hall in my town. Now here's where the "issue" comes in. My friend in question just got a call back from the office, I haven't yet (given my lack of experience, I probably won't.) The HR manager is the one who grades the applications and decides who makes the cut for the testing/interviewing process. My mother's old coworker is just interviewing the ones the HR manager decides to pass. I'm feeling a little discouraged but I'm hoping a better opportunity will come along.

Another friend and I were talking about the situation. He thinks she has just as much of a right to apply as I do. I agreed with him. But another friend of mine thinks it was kind of "snaky" of her to apply for the same position and it would be messed up if she got the job that was offered to me. Like I said, I'd be disappointed, and there might be some awkwardness between us if she does get the job. I don't know, I'm feeling a lot of mixed emotions. I wished her luck, but I still can't help but feel a little disappointed. I don't think she's being "malicious" otherwise she wouldn't be telling me anything. That's what I'd like to think anyway.

How would you all feel?
I think it's a little underhanded. That's my opinion.

OTOH, the job sounds like generic administrative work in a corporate pit. So you have to question why you want the job in the first place instead getting work related to what you really want to do. That is also an opinion...

Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Office clerical works is a dime a dozen....the silver lining to every cloud , you might even find something better
In the future though, I would keep it to myself when talking to the competition

Old 05-15-2018, 12:50 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
The most qualified person should get the job, don't you agree?

And she DIDN'T apply for the same job as you. Isn't that what you told us? Was that true?

Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I would not hold it against this friend for applying for the job. FWIW, this job was not offered to you. As you stated, you have to get past human resources before you would even be able to interview with your mom's friend.

But now that you know she is competition (job wise), you should not share with her any other opportunities that came along.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Another friend and I were talking about the situation. He thinks she has just as much of a right to apply as I do. I agreed with him. But another friend of mine thinks it was kind of "snaky" of her to apply for the same position and it would be messed up if she got the job that was offered to me. Like I said, I'd be disappointed, and there might be some awkwardness between us if she does get the job. I don't know, I'm feeling a lot of mixed emotions. I wished her luck, but I still can't help but feel a little disappointed. I don't think she's being "malicious" otherwise she wouldn't be telling me anything. That's what I'd like to think anyway.

How would you all feel?
I think you have a mature take on the whole thing. If your friend hadn't applied, there'd be no guarantee you'd make the "interview" cut, anyway, given your lack of relevant experience. It's interesting, though, that the interviewer (your mom's colleague) thought you could make it to the interview stage. She might be wrong. We'll see. In any case, your friend's tossing her hat into the ring wouldn't affect your outcome, I don't think.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think it's a little underhanded. That's my opinion.

OTOH, the job sounds like generic administrative work in a corporate pit. So you have to question why you want the job in the first place instead getting work related to what you really want to do. That is also an opinion...
It's for convenience on my end.

Good benefits. (I'll be 26 next year, so I'd be on my own insurance wise.)
Good starting salary for me.
I think it would help me get my foot in the door in other places.
If I'm completely honest, psychology was not my dream area of study. It's interesting but that's about it. I wanted to major in Art, but we all know how dicey that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Office clerical works is a dime a dozen....the silver lining to every cloud , you might even find something better
In the future though, I would keep it to myself when talking to the competition
I didn't really see her as competition. It was just friendly chat more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The most qualified person should get the job, don't you agree?

And she DIDN'T apply for the same job as you. Isn't that what you told us? Was that true?
Yes I agree, the more qualified person should get the job. Like I said, she's not being malicious. The situation is just awkward, never dealt with it before. Just for clarification, I didn't tell her the EXACT position I applied for so she "unknowingly" applied for the same position.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think you have a mature take on the whole thing. If your friend hadn't applied, there'd be no guarantee you'd make the "interview" cut, anyway, given your lack of relevant experience. It's interesting, though, that the interviewer (your mom's colleague) thought you could make it to the interview stage. She might be wrong. We'll see. In any case, your friend's tossing her hat into the ring wouldn't affect your outcome, I don't think.
It seems like my mom's colleague thought she would have more "control" over the entire process than she actually does. The more I think about this, it was an obvious misunderstanding on my part. However, something in the back of my mind told it was "too good to be true." I knew it couldn't have been that simple.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
At the end of the day you got to look out for yourself first . Once you get the job then by all means send her resume to the hiring manager

Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:

Basically it's an office clerical work position. A woman my mother worked with at one point, called my mom telling her to encourage me to apply.

But another friend of mine thinks it was kind of "snaky" of her to apply for the same position and it would be messed up if she got the job that was offered to me.

How would you all feel?
The job was not 'offered' to you though. You seem to be skipping over that important point. A person in the office encouraged you to apply and told your mother to have you apply. But no job offer was made to you.

It is sad and angering, though, that having told your friend about the opening that your friend went ahead and applied for a job that you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships