Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
A couple weeks ago we had a family gathering.....my husband’s 3 children (late 30s and 40s), 20 something granddaughter and a couple younger grandchildren. This was their first visit to our newly built home. We have no pets. The oldest granddaughter brought her new puppy (in a carrier) (housebreaking status unknown). The youngest daughter brought her dog (uncrated), an older dog with known incontinence problems. To their credit, they did immediately take the dogs outside onto our deck, but they mainly stayed out there with them and I didn’t get to visit much since I was busy inside preparing food.

Is this some new trend - bring your dog uninvited? Neither expressed any apologies for bringing them. As I said, this is a brand new home and I really don’t want dogs over here. I didn’t say anything but what should I do next time? “Please leave Fluffy and Spot at home”? Or do I need to grin and bear it and join the 21st century?

They all live about 40 miles from us so they won’t be coming every week, but certainly several times a year.
Were they in the habit of bringing the dogs on visits to your previous residence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 06:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
A couple weeks ago we had a family gathering.....my husband’s 3 children (late 30s and 40s), 20 something granddaughter and a couple younger grandchildren. This was their first visit to our newly built home. We have no pets. The oldest granddaughter brought her new puppy (in a carrier) (housebreaking status unknown). The youngest daughter brought her dog (uncrated), an older dog with known incontinence problems. To their credit, they did immediately take the dogs outside onto our deck, but they mainly stayed out there with them and I didn’t get to visit much since I was busy inside preparing food.

Is this some new trend - bring your dog uninvited? Neither expressed any apologies for bringing them. As I said, this is a brand new home and I really don’t want dogs over here. I didn’t say anything but what should I do next time? “Please leave Fluffy and Spot at home”? Or do I need to grin and bear it and join the 21st century?

They all live about 40 miles from us so they won’t be coming every week, but certainly several times a year.
How long have you been in the picture? Have the children always brought their pets? If they always did this and you are somewhat new to the family, I would just grin and bear it. Your husband will pick the side of his kids.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
It sounds as though all the dogs stayed outside, so what is your beef, exactly? I agree that nobody should bring a dog to someone else’s house and expect to bring it in the house, but as long as there are no issues with the dogs getting along, I wouldn’t care about them being outside.

My kids bring their dogs here, and it is not very convenient, but we’d rather see them with their dogs, than not see them.

Have their dad tell them, if he hasn’t already, that your new house is dog free, so in the future, they will know.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Personally, I wouldn't make a rule or try to correct something that seems occasional and short term.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Your house, your rules. Tell your kids you'd like them to leave their dogs at home the next time they come to visit you.
I grew up in a rural area where everyone had a dog (or two or three dogs). And, in my entire childhood (1950s/1960s) I can not remember ever seeing anyone bring a dog to someone else's house for a party or a get-together or see a dog in a store. Even in my college days and adulthood, in large cities, where many people that I knew had dogs, not one dog ever attended a cook-out or party or visited someone's house. And, again I never, even once saw a dog (excluding a very few times that I saw a service dog helping someone who was blind) in a store or a restaurant.

But, in the last few years it seems that people expect that they should be able to take their dogs every where. I visited a coffee shop two weeks ago and there were five dogs on the patio. FIVE! I could hardly believe it as there were only about ten people sitting outside. Yesterday I walked by the coffee shop and there was a huge sign on the door, "Service dogs are welcome. Pets are not allowed. Emotional Support dogs are not allowed". Hmmm. I wonder if they had an "incident"?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I grew up in a rural area where everyone had a dog (or two or three dogs). And, in my entire childhood (1950s/1960s) I can not remember ever seeing anyone bring a dog to someone else's house for a party or a get-together or see a dog in a store. Even in my college days and adulthood, in large cities, where many people that I knew had dogs, not one dog ever attended a cook-out or party or visited someone's house. And, again I never, even once saw a dog (excluding a very few times that I saw a service dog helping someone who was blind) in a store or a restaurant.

But, in the last few years it seems that people expect that they should be able to take their dogs every where. I visited a coffee shop two weeks ago and there were five dogs on the patio. FIVE! I could hardly believe it as there were only about ten people sitting outside.
Yes indeed, and there is no arguing with "dog" people, they are right to do as they please and you are wrong if you object in any way. Real service dogs are beautiful to see, unlike the untrained vanity dogs most people haul around with them.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:13 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
The only part I would have an issue with is that they didn't clear it with you beforehand. It does appear that they tried to be considerate of your new home by keeping the dogs outside. New puppies and older incontinent dogs both need to be taken outside frequently. Since you live 40 miles away (an hour drive?), and assuming they wanted to visit for more than an hour or two, they were doing the right thing by not leaving their pets unattended. If I had nobody else available to take care of them while I was visiting, I'd bring them too, or stay home.

I see no problem with pet-friendly outdoor dining areas.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:39 AM

716 posts, read 557,799 times
I can't say anything because it's not MY house but there's a section of our family that brings their dog when they come to the house for a birthday/holiday and it's already crowded enough. No exaggeration, the dog weighs over 120 pounds and its head is about 40 inches high. Even if he doesn't take food off the table he's hovering right over it. Yuck!

Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

But, in the last few years it seems that people expect that they should be able to take their dogs every where. I visited a coffee shop two weeks ago and there were five dogs on the patio. FIVE! I could hardly believe it as there were only about ten people sitting outside. Yesterday I walked by the coffee shop and there was a huge sign on the door, "Service dogs are welcome. Pets are not allowed. Emotional Support dogs are not allowed". Hmmm. I wonder if they had an "incident"?

is there an actual sig that says no emotional support dogs ? they could be sued and most likely they will be just wait .

Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:

Did they bring the dogs to your previous residence? If so, they probably assumed it was ok at your new place. If it’s not ok, as it seems from your post, they should have been given a heads up.

Also, from your post it seems the kids are your step kids. If so, let their father discuss the dog issue with them. Just make sure he supports your no dog policy and have him let the kids know. Perhaps it’s better you and your husband drive the 40 miles to their homes so your new home remains dog free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships