Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,653,403 times

Advertisements

...are you glad that you are an only child or do you wish that you had siblings? Did your parents choose to have one child, or were there other reasons? How many children do you have? If you do not have children, do you plan to have any, and if so, how many? And why?

I am asking this because two of my closest friends are only children. One loved it. The other hated it. I spoke to both of them recently.

There have also been several threads about siblings lately. This led me to wonder about those of you who have no siblings. What were the pros? What were the cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 680,407 times
Im an only child (35) and I only have one child (11). I wanted a sibling when I was younger, but now it doesnt bother me too much. Especially during the Summer. Lots of siblings arent even close. My child wanted a sibling, but it never happened for us.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
I have two cousins who are only children. In neither case could the parents have a second child; they wanted another, but it didn't work out. In both cases, the kids bonded with a really close friend in the neighborhood/schoolmate, with whom they were friends until everyone went off to college. I can tell you in one case, though, if there had been a younger sibling, that sibling probably would have been bullied. The other only child was a very nice and kind person, so there wouldn't have been issues.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:43 AM

187 posts, read 129,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Im an only child (35) and I only have one child (11). I wanted a sibling when I was younger, but now it doesnt bother me too much. Especially during the Summer. Lots of siblings arent even close. My child wanted a sibling, but it never happened for us.
It still could. You're young

Old 06-30-2018, 03:44 AM

187 posts, read 129,999 times
I may as well of been an only child. My half sister ( different dad) is 9 years older than me and was out of the house when i was very young. I think that's why i dont share well. Never had to bother with anyone else.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:58 AM

5,415 posts, read 3,631,158 times
I was an only child, adopted, adopted mother couldn't have children.
I never wanted kids myself.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:36 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,176,996 times
I definitely see the advantages of being an only child, but I do wish I had siblings. My parents both were only children, mom passed away unexpectedly last fall, and now my family is SO small. It's one reason I myself had three children.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:19 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,662,051 times
I am not an only child, but I think that I would have enjoyed it.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:25 AM

1,058 posts, read 680,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattaty25 View Post
It still could. You're young
Nah...not at this point. We just moved to the beach and we are more interested in travel and just enjoying life. Don't want to start over with babies, but if it happened, it would be a nice surprise.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:26 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,904,946 times
I'm an only child, and I HATED it. Evenings in my parents' home were so lonely! I had nobody to play a game with or even talk to. To make matters worse, my parents were very strict, and I was the sole outlet for their expectations, like getting perfect grades in school. It did me a disservice: I had little experience interacting closely with peers/equals, just authority figures. I had friends in my neighborhood and in my classes, but it's not the same! They all had their own lives, so it's not like I could expect them to play with me anytime I was up for something (a board game, a one-on-one sports game, a video game). I begged my parents to have a second child (or two, or three), but without success. By high school, I had more freedom, and was usually out with my friends a lot evenings, anyway, not coming home until fairly close to bedtime.

As a result, I didn't learn to assert myself with peers until I was a teen. Although honestly, I didn't have many run-ins with bullying, except in middle school grades. Just some nuisance teasing here or there, like a neighbor's barking dog. I'd throw away my soul to have had a same-age sibling while growing up.

As a result of my childhood experiences, I vowed to never have kids of my own. And now, at my age (35), there just isn't enough time to create a huge, happy, bustling family, with lots of kids, where there's never a dull moment, that I wished for as a child.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-30-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships