Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many weddings have you attended (except yours)?
0 7 4.38%
1 4 2.50%
2 6 3.75%
3 or more 143 89.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times

Advertisements

Your own doesn't count.

The only wedding I ever attended was my own. Although I'm not a super social person, I do have many acquaintances and 'watery' friendships, but none of those relationships are strong enough for them to consider inviting me to their weddings (and to rub salt into the wound, one of those people was a guest at my wedding). I was curious to know how many were in a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Too many to count.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
Only about 7, and 6 of them were cousins

Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Your own doesn't count.

The only wedding I ever attended was my own. Although I'm not a super social person, I do have many acquaintances and 'watery' friendships, but none of those relationships are strong enough for them to consider inviting me to their weddings (and to rub salt into the wound, one of those people was a guest at my wedding). I was curious to know how many were in a similar situation.
I'm not sure that your poll is going to give you the type of answers that you are looking to find. If people include family weddings most can easier check "3 and over" unless they and their parents were all only children. In my case, I attended weddings for two of my siblings (and both of my husband's siblings) and at least ten weddings of my first cousins.

And, it depends on your age. Obviously, someone who is, for example, in their early/mid 20s probably would probably have attended fewer weddings than someone in their early/mid 30s.

I'm 66 and have already attended numerous weddings of nieces and nephews, as well as many, many friends. In one case, three large weddings for the same friend.

I am sorry if you have not been invited to any weddings. I have noticed that as weddings have gotten more and more expensive over the years they have tended to shrink in size. Obviously, a couple who has a wedding of, for example, 50 guests instead of 150 or 200 or 250 guests, will limit it to relatives and very, very close friends.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:48 PM

255 posts, read 184,091 times
I never had a wedding lol. I got married at a courthouse.no guests. Not everyone has one you know....you shouldn't assume.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Not sure exactly how many ... more than a dozen, less than 20. And I was an attendant in 8 of those And my total isn’t counting the weddings that I worked as a wedding coordinator.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Only about 4 and two were within a few weeks. Ugh I hate them! Waste of time.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Your own doesn't count.

I think that you answered your own question.....about why you haven't been invited more often.

Weddings are the epitome of "super social events", happy events.

I think most people invite people that tend to be fun, supportive and happy to such events. Anyone considered stand offish, non joiners, glum, anti social are likely overlooked because why spend the money to host someone that won't add to the happiness of your event.

Maybe try to be more engaging and social, especially if you want to be invited to more social events.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:10 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I've only been invited to one friends' wedding and it was a token invite (I lived like 1200 miles away and had three kids under the age of four - I think he knew we weren't going to show up when he sent out the invite). All the other weddings I've been to have been family and I don't count those at all.

I will say that my wedding was all-inclusive. We invited anybody that just wanted to have a great time. Live band, open bar, I provided buses back to the hotel so people didn't have to drive intoxicated in case it went that far. I think people had a great time. I don't think I got a wedding invite from a single one of those people that came to my own wedding. Go figure.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:52 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Well I have over 20 cousins so yeah, I've been to a lot of weddings! My own was more of an elopement, the two of us went to a JP with no one else there but two witnesses (required by law).

I don't see any more invites in the near future. Last one I went to was over 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships