Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:54 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

19 years old. Not a child. So is the real question, does anyone who gets a windfall as described have a moral obiligation to share with one’s parents? My answer is yes if the parents exhibited a moral obligation while raising that personto provide an emotionally and phyically secure environment. If not, then no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkB4USpeak View Post
Let's say a nineteen year old child, through no effort or achievement of their own, is to receive 522 million dollars. Are they not morally and ethically obligated to share it with their parents? The child will never have to work a day in their life, they'll have much more money than they ever would have earned in their lifetime, meanwhile the parents have had all kinds of expenses, many of which were related to the upbringing of the child. Does the child not have the ethical and moral obligation to split the 522 million dollar fortune (minus taxes of course) with the parents who fed, clothed, and sheltered them for nineteen years? Discuss.
HAHAHA of course not! The parents CHOSE to have a kid, that's their decision, but they are owed nothing for making a personal life decision. Split the money with them 50/50? You're joking, right? That's ridiculous. If my parents weren't already wealthy, then I'd make sure they were taken care of in a reasonable fashion, sure, I'd be generous with the money as they were generous with me if that was the case (if they were good parents), but that'd be the extent of it.

You have zero obligations, morally or otherwise, to ANYONE else with your money. It's YOUR money. This is how lottery winners end up losing everything. I wouldn't give a dime to anyone if I won the lottery, I'd manage my money property for my benefit. I'd be generous with my gifts to my girlfriend and close friends, but no, it wouldn't be time to give handouts.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Great parents may have lousy kids who are school drop outs or drug addicts, yes. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't give them any money from their $$$$$$. If they are lousy TOWARDS their parents, it is the parents fault usually.

You may THINK you know "great" parents with lousy kids but maybe they are just faking being great to the public. My parents never hit me in the face so no one can see marks. ANd everyone thought they are amazing, except their own kids who could barely sit on some days because their bottom hurt so much from getting beaten.
No. I actually have a brother who is lousy. Our parents were the nicest, kindest people/parents you'd ever meet, and yes, even behind closed doors! AND out of four kids, one turned into a cheating, abusive lowlife. Why? Freewill and personal choice.

Our parents were really good loving people who couldn't be mean or abusive if their lives depended on it! They treated and raised him the same as they did all of us.

p.s. Mrs. P came from lousy parents and turned out to be a real angel. Really folks, these things are possible!

Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mega-mi...ay-2018-07-24/

Is there something you want to tell us?

Old 07-30-2018, 03:21 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Not under any obligation whatsoever to share with anyone but a spouse.

Did you win the lottery?

As a practical matter, if I didn't like them I'd give money in a trust for them with the caveat that they'd have to leave me alone forever.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:32 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Great parents may have lousy kids who are school drop outs or drug addicts, yes. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't give them any money from their $$$$$$. If they are lousy TOWARDS their parents, it is the parents fault usually.

You may THINK you know "great" parents with lousy kids but maybe they are just faking being great to the public. My parents never hit me in the face so no one can see marks. ANd everyone thought they are amazing, except their own kids who could barely sit on some days because their bottom hurt so much from getting beaten.
That's a little like saying healthy parents don't have kids with autism. Kids are people, they are who they are and some respond to shaping more than others. Some are just bad or fall into being bad. It's sad. Sure, there are times where parenting has some or a lot of fault but I don't think we should immediately blame parents. Unfortunately, that's society's knee jerk.

Sorry about what you went through.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Weird that so many people feel the parents DESERVE the "adult's" money. They don't. It's entitlement to think that anyone owes you anything.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mega-mi...ay-2018-07-24/

Is there something you want to tell us?
LOL I thought the number posted by OP was a little too specific.

To answer the question, it's his/her money to do with as he pleases. If he wants to share, great, if not, that's fine, too. He didn't ask to be brought into this world and should not be under any obligation to give to parents or any family members. My parents aren't good with money, so I'd get them a new vehicle and pay off debts, with the understanding that it's a one-time deal.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkB4USpeak View Post
Let's say a nineteen year old child, through no effort or achievement of their own, is to receive 522 million dollars. Are they not morally and ethically obligated to share it with their parents? The child will never have to work a day in their life, they'll have much more money than they ever would have earned in their lifetime, meanwhile the parents have had all kinds of expenses, many of which were related to the upbringing of the child. Does the child not have the ethical and moral obligation to split the 522 million dollar fortune (minus taxes of course) with the parents who fed, clothed, and sheltered them for nineteen years? Discuss.
One should love and honor their parents, regardless of creed followed.

Parent should love and raise their child into adulthood, regardless of creed followed.

Obviously, there are many examples where these things are not followed, but I would hope the majority have worked enough to establish some bond.

In college I met a young man whose parents were divorced. She was a socialite, he was a simple man who preferred and returned to the country. His mother remarried, his father did not.

While not to the extent of the example, he became a millionaire overnight when his mother was tragically murdered. I met his father a few times and he seemed quite decent, but almost shy. He lived in a modest home in a rural area in the middle of nowhere. His son developed a taste for ever nicer things, and eventually became a wonderful opera singer, marrying a CEO of a company...now much wealthier than he had become. To this day he is quite kind and very generous.

Still, back in college, I was with a close casual group with truth or dare and the question was asked of him. We'd been drinking but I remember the answer quite clearly because it was an interesting question. We were all pretty good friends at the time.

"Did you ever share the money with your father?"

Answer (paraphrased from the years)

"I tried to. He thanked me, but said he was a grown man, quite capable of taking care of himself. He told me that despite past difference he had had with my mother, he knew she loved me very much and she had set that up so that in case anything happened so that I could also become a grown man, capable of taking care of myself. He hopes I will be there to help care for him when he is no longer able, but he didn't want anything now. He also told me that he couldn't help me to invest it, as he knew nothing on the subject, but that it would be my burden to learn and perform."

I have little doubt that when the time does come, he will have the best possible care. He will pass, proud that his son has accomplished quite a bit.

As he should. His son is one of the best opera singers in the country. As for money management, that seemed destined for failure. He was so naive, and far too generous with people he just met. Often we'd have to insist...no, we can pay our own way. Failure seemed imminent when he got "partners" and started the silliest of businesses...Gourmet cupcakes. Of course nobody will ever buy something so stupid....or so we thought in the 90s. The place, and its many expansions, still operate today.

He is perhaps one of the most generous people I've ever known. Probably gets it from his parents.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:41 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Weird that so many people feel the parents DESERVE the "adult's" money. They don't. It's entitlement to think that anyone owes you anything.
yeah, I admit I do think good parents deserve a little cut. They spent $$$$$$$$$ on raising the child and if the child has SO FREAKING much money, it would be appropriate to give them some IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships