Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times

Advertisements

I've got more family members with anger issues than I'd care to admit.

What gets me is how other family members have to dance around egg shells to avoid blowouts by these loose cannons.

Personally, I have learned to stand my ground, but others either seem stressed out or just resigned to live in fear of their own family.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
It's well-disguised. To draw attention to one's self, no matter what the emotion, is not acceptable. Think British stiff upper lip. Even when we're seething inside, it would be an unforgiveable offense to make a scene.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
My brother is a world-class holder of grudges. He remembers things that were said or done fifty years ago. Just this week, he snapped at my mother about her treatment of him when he was a kid. Now, mind you, my mother had no business raising kids, but after a while you just have to let that stuff go.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

What gets me is how other family members have to dance around egg shells to avoid blowouts by these loose cannons.

Personally, I have learned to stand my ground, but others either seem stressed out or just resigned to live in fear of their own family.

How about you?
Yeah, my mother has a temper. My dad was a very angry guy but was more quiet about it. My cousins anger ratchets up to beating his son. I myself go from zero to p$#&ed off in 4 seconds.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:24 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:

How about you?
Yep, father and one sibling. My dad got angry over events and things, not people so much, but the sibling spares nothing to this day. They were amazingly alike though neither saw or admitted it. They fought like cats. It's always been obvious to the rest of us. When either one of them started firing the rest of us scattered. Part of that was self-preservation but part of it was to remove any satisfaction from landing a blow.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yep, father and one sibling. My dad got angry over events and things, not people so much, but the sibling spares nothing to this day. They were amazingly alike though neither saw or admitted it. They fought like cats. It's always been obvious to the rest of us. When either one of them started firing the rest of us scattered. Part of that was self-preservation but part of it was to remove any satisfaction from landing a blow.

I can relate....

Glad to be on my own for Thanksgiving...no family strife!

Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Not usually. My sister can be crazy but not angry haha just emotionally unstable in the past. She seems to have gotten a lot better since getting engaged and now married. A happier person. Still can be very annoying though and still as narcissistic as usual lol.

People tend not to want to make me angry. They wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:

How about you?
I'm impressed by the amount of metaphors you've used in a single sentence.

Cut them out of my life. One event decades ago is one thing, but for someone who is consistently an A--H--- and NO ONE likes it, trash can. Dead to me.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:02 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's well-disguised. To draw attention to one's self, no matter what the emotion, is not acceptable. Think British stiff upper lip. Even when we're seething inside, it would be an unforgiveable offense to make a scene.
Totally the dynamic in our British family, too.
The fact that my husband and I think my BIL is a selfish narcissist, kept us from spending time with my sister and her family. Now my sister is gone, and I’m sad about all the wasted years. I was always afraid my husband would let him have it, so we avoided them.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Did this for years tip toeing around a very angry sister and it got worse. Each episode or outburst validated to her it was okay to be like that until one day she went too far. I should have cut her off years ago instead of putting up with the emotional and verbal abuse for the sake of my mother.
I loved my sister until one day I didn’t. What I’ve learned is that there are some people that have a floating inner rage looking for a host to unleash that fury on and nothing you say or do will change it. They are a lost cause, and standing your ground Doesn’t result in much except as fuel for their rage. I stopped being her fuel,her host,her scapegoat.

British also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships