Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

Well, younger sister asked me to have a meal at Denny's on the C-Eve.

I'm torn as this would be the time for telling her if she feels like she did in 2008, then we will part and never talk again.

Or do I respond to her request with the same thing I'd ask her at the meeting?

Namely she told me in 2008 "I have adopted two children, but I don't want you to meet them" Needless to say I didn't speak with her for 10 years. I am NOT interested in meeting them frankly, but it's her attitude that makes me not want to even chat with her frankly...

We have spoken by phone (More like she told me everything she has done) and that's all. I admit I am not really keen on rekindling this relationship. Maybe I should just let her know that I feel we'd be best to just not chat with each other from here on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 01:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, younger sister asked me to have a meal at Denny's on the C-Eve.

I'm torn as this would be the time for telling her if she feels like she did in 2008, then we will part and never talk again.

Or do I respond to her request with the same thing I'd ask her at the meeting?

Namely she told me in 2008 "I have adopted two children, but I don't want you to meet them" Needless to say I didn't speak with her for 10 years. I am NOT interested in meeting them frankly, but it's her attitude that makes me not want to even chat with her frankly...

We have spoken by phone (More like she told me everything she has done) and that's all. I admit I am not really keen on rekindling this relationship. Maybe I should just let her know that I feel we'd be best to just not chat with each other from here on?

Sounds like (bolded) you've answered your own question. You've even provided yourself a solution. What was your gut telling you after you got off the phone with her? Did her attitude change for better, worse or the same as in 2008?

Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Go. You have no clue what she might have in mind. Might be something really positive, or an apology, or invitation to be in their lives.

You won't know if you don't go...

You can always excuse yourself and leave if it's a negative or hurtful experience.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Sounds like there is a lot to the story that isn't stated. Not wanting the OP to meet her kids is just bizarre - there must have been a huge falling out or the sister thinks the OP would have a negative influence on the kids.

I would not meet her on C eve at a Dennys of all places. Besides, why would she not be with her family if it is C eve? Weird in itself.

I would call and ask her what's up, that there is no need to wait for C eve (maybe she has a present for you?) and that you would just prefer to find out what's up before that.

Best of luck

Old 12-21-2018, 02:17 PM

Well, I hate myself for not asking her whether she still felt this way. It was "I did this, I saw that, Relative died" and not a whole lot of any interest in what I was doing or older sibling.

But I really wasn't interested in the conversation....Thanks, I think I'll tell her that I need to know if she still feels the same as she did long ago...

As another posted "Rather odd she'd leave family to have this meeting"

I agree, she obviously doesn't want me to see her kids (I suspect she adopted children of color which I think is great as she sees the need of the child and not race but thinks or feels I'll go all KKK about it....sheesh...)

Well, I messaged her (On FB) and asked her if she stills feels that way.

"Well, I have to ask this as it is important and I wish I had asked you earlier. If you recall when I came back from Missouri, you said you had adopted two kids. But you didn't want me to meet them. Do you feel this way still?"

If she says yes, then I'll just tell her it's best to go our separate ways as I am not interested in meeting someone whose either embarrassed about their family or has some reason they wish to hide their family from their kids"

I do know she hasn't spoken with older sibling for about the same length of time. I suspect that it may relate to when our Mother passed. Younger was Mom's "Pet" she is very intelligent, has done things I am amazed or impressed by (And I have told her that) but when Mom died, that was her "Bestie" and my "Bestie" is the older sibling (We were hell raisers) and she's still alive.

So that may have some part in all this.

I'll let you know.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:31 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I agree, she obviously doesn't want me to see her kids (I suspect she adopted children of color which I think is great as she sees the need of the child and not race but thinks or feels I'll go all KKK about it....sheesh...)
I see. Well, if that is the case then I would give her room. She is protecting her kids.

Best of luck.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Well she has contacted me. Seems either she was not clear, or she misspoke or even I am mistaken.

She claims to not have adopted any kids, fostered some kids but not since 2012.... But I did have a phone chat where she mentioned the "Kiddos" so am not 100% she's lying or being honest.

But we have agreed to meet (I mean if she's telling the truth, then I guess it can't hurt) so we'll see what happens...

Old 12-21-2018, 03:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Sounds like your and her communication skills are clearly lacking. There is no reason to have so much mystery and ambiguity, especially with family.

If she does or doesn't have kids, I would think, would be a thing someone would know about their sibling, so there is quite a bit to this story you have left out.

Also, your surmising that she might think you'd go "all KKK" if you knew she had kids of color says something about your moral character and I hope that is untrue (only because it would be nice to have one less racist person in the country, but I understand that is just wishful thinking about a stranger).

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Perhaps she has some sort of bad news to tell you and did not want to do it over the phone?

Old 12-21-2018, 03:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
I would respond as follows:

"You're my sister--of course I'll meet with you.

I hope you'll bring your children, but even if you don't, I'll still meet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships