Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:08 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times

Advertisements

A little back story -

My parents were marries from 1956-1981 until my mother died of metastatic ovarian cancer.

My father moved his secretary into the house six months later, and married her in a month. One by one, my siblings and I were kicked out of the house.

As the eldest, I was first. In terms of things that remind me of my childhood, I really got nothing.

It's a horrible mess and my father's wife had my father declared incompetent years before he died in 2016. He told us we were in the will, but none of us saw a dime. He told us that each was receiving a few hundred thousand dollars way before he had any memory issues. I was happy with that.

As it turned out, my dad attempted to withdraw 500K for each of us, five years ago. The rest of the million was to be put into trust.
He was humiliated when he went to the bank and attempted to withdraw the money, and learned that SHE had him removed from the account.

It's NOT about the money (- not this post anyway) but I though that you needed some back story.

Fast Forward to three years ago -

I have no wedding pictures of my parents. Not one.

My first cousin, who I thought was a friend; began to post the wedding picture of my parents, on their anniversary, my dad's birthday, my mom's and in June.

I called her and asked if I could have a copy of it. She said she'd be happy to give me it and asked for my address. It never came.

In six months, I asked her what happened and she said she said "I misplaced it". I wnted to believe her, but she did not move inbetween, and how could a silver framed picture just vanish?

I still gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Then, on my parent's aniversary, she once again posted the picture and captioned it - "My handsome uncle George and glamorous Aunt Gail" .

SHE wrote me bout it and asked my address and I gave it to her. I thanked her profusely and told her I'd send a copy. She said that would be nice, but unnecessary.

I waited and, you guessed it it - it never came.

It came up in Facebook memories, and I was reminded of it. I messaged her, and she never replied.

She once stole a purse from me when we were in JHS after a Sunday dinner. I got in back in a few weeks. I thought she'd out grown this BS.

Remember, I offered to copy the picture for her.

I am not asking the psychology of this - I think I know what she is doing. However, I am open to ideas.

I have so few photographs of my parents, zero memorabilia, NOTHING of my time growing up. I just want their wedding.

I isn't about money, it's about sentiment.

Please tell me what I should do.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Please tell me what I should do.

Thank you.
Forget her petty ***.

Download the photo she posted and have it printed.

I'm sorry she's being so weird.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Yup. As Birdie said, you have the picture, it's easy to download and save it.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Download the photo she posted and have it printed.

Yes, this. Why do you feel you need more? You have access to view the photo.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 5,250,459 times
I might give it one more shot and tell her that since you have no photos of your parents, you would really appreciate it if she could give you one of the wedding pictures or let you copy one. If she refuses, let this go.

I understand being disinherited. My father married his 2nd wife and she basically got everything. Not that I was expecting a fortune, but he'd always had life insurance with all 5 of us kids as beneficiaries. I was hurt, frankly, but then came to realize that he didn't owe me, or any of us, anything, really She never even offered us any personal belongings or phots that we knew where at their home. That stung.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Right click on the photo, download it to your computer, upload it to Walmart photo center. They'll mail you the prints.

Then message your cousin and tell her she stinks. No, don't do that, because she may have more pictures. I'd go to her house with a few bottles of wine, then when she passes out, take all your family photos back. Then copy them and send the copies to her with a note indicating that you are a much classier person than she is.

You should have sued your step mom. It probably isn't too late, and for that kind of money, worth pursuing just to tick her off.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,226 times
I can understand why the OP wants to at least borrow the original; depending on the quality of the scan of the photo and what FB does to "degrade" it to minimize bandwidth, printing from the FB image could be pretty crappy, especially if the OP wants it to be a decent size.

OP, does your cousin live nearby? If she does, I'd arange to go there and get it from her.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

You should have sued your step mom. It probably isn't too late, and for that kind of money, worth pursuing just to tick her off.

Off topic, but that is bad advice. Once the father married the step-mother, then she became the sole inheritor when he dies. Suing her would not do anything except cause MORE bad blood.

Now a pre-nup or specific trusts that were set up for the children would be a different story; but it doesn't seem (from the OP) that is the case.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Download the photo from FB.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Downloading the photo from Facebook is something you can try, but as someone else said, photo quality from a low-res photo is not going to be good at all.

Any chance you could go to her house and ask for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships