Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM

501 posts, read 932,637 times

Advertisements

Apparantly, my wife's sister-in-law (brothers wife) has a big mouth and has been trash talking MY parents to their neighbors. Not sure why she is doing this as they haven't done anything to her, and have actually helped her out a few times, but she has a big mouth and usually whatever thought pops in her head also pops out her mouth.

I don't think my parents are offended - but unfortuantely her crassness just really makes my wife and her family look bad.

Just wondering if there is anything I should say or do about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Your wife should step in with her sister-in-law or ask her brother to do so if this is really egregious.

What kind of badmouthing?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Going to my parents neighbors and telling them that my parents are wealthy snobs that she can't stand.

Neither my spouse nor this woman's husband have any control over her....I don't think there is anything we can do. It just makes my choice in of a family to marry into look bad.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I think you are entirely too concerned about what other people think. If you and your wife are content, and have a good relationship with your parents, then let the rest go. You'll be happier for it.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM

OK, so I think I have it figured out. This woman is a drama queen, and she drops comments like that knowing that it will upset people and then she'll get more attention.

Doing nothing is clearly the correct answer. My parents outstanding reputation in the community won't be harmed by her flapping her mouth, and being quiet is the best answer.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Going to my parents neighbors and telling them that my parents are wealthy snobs that she can't stand.

Neither my spouse nor this woman's husband have any control over her....I don't think there is anything we can do. It just makes my choice in of a family to marry into look bad.
I think you're worrying too much what other people think. I'm sure that your parent's neighbors see more of your parents than they do of this woman and are more likely to see your parents for who they really are - and if they like the people your parents are, her bad mouthing isn't going to change that (and if it does, then you know who your real friends are anyway). But really, I think their neighbors probably don't care or don't want to get involved to begin with.

I am not sure why her behavior reflects badly onto "your choice in of a family to marry into". You did not marry this woman. And your wife did not marry this women either so I don't know why it would reflect badly on her either. Neither of you are responsible for her actions, neither of you chose her to enter your family. Anyone who thinks badly of you because of what this woman has said or done isn't someone you want to be socializing with anyway.

I'm guessing that she really only sees your parent's neighbors when she is invited to your parent's house. Here's an idea - stop inviting her to your parents house. I know you probably can't just cut her out of your lives entirely, but you don't have to invite her/her husband to every single get together, right? If they ask why they are not invited to your parent's house anymore, be honest but tactful - "We were a little hurt to discover you were saying some offensive things about them to their neighbors."

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
She's talking to your PARENTS' neighbors???

Does she live in the same neighborhood?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
the next food you bring to her house, throw in some dog-shyt

Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think you're worrying too much what other people think. I'm sure that your parent's neighbors see more of your parents than they do of this woman and are more likely to see your parents for who they really are - and if they like the people your parents are, her bad mouthing isn't going to change that (and if it does, then you know who your real friends are anyway). But really, I think their neighbors probably don't care or don't want to get involved to begin with ...
^^^THAT. The neighbors probably see the SIL for the gossip she is. And if they don't, they aren't worth knowing.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 140,054 times
Post ask a question or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Apparantly, my wife's sister-in-law (brothers wife) has a big mouth and has been trash talking MY parents to their neighbors. Not sure why she is doing this as they haven't done anything to her, and have actually helped her out a few times, but she has a big mouth and usually whatever thought pops in her head also pops out her mouth.

I don't think my parents are offended - but unfortuantely her crassness just really makes my wife and her family look bad.

Just wondering if there is anything I should say or do about this.

You aren't the only one who knows she is crazy. They do too. Let her be. She will learn without you having to bring down the hammer. She will create her own web of entanglement and it will teach her.

If you must say something, just ask her something like "I hear you've been telling the neighbors *such and such* and I'm wondering if you have a question for me or if there's something I can help you with?"

But don't expect this to resolve anything with this type of person until her heart and inner person is at peace.

I'd sit back and let her actions come back on her. Later, when she's at the end of her rope, offer her grace and forgiveness - she'll need lots of it.

Biblical principle: vengeance is mine says the Lord...and Jesus says, "I come not to condemn but to forgive."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships