Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

The only people I've heard of this being a thing with, are incels who wear fedoras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I have observed (and please don't take this as anti-religion, I'm not anti-religion at all) that people who casually but frequently mention how often they go to church, and name-drop priests they're good friends with, and casually but frequently mention how many "good works" they do...

can be, not all the time, but can be the nastiest, meanest people imaginable. These are the ones who treat others like garbage. I always wonder who or what it is they think they're fooling?

But I've also known deeply religious people who actually are wonderful people. These are the ones who are humble about it.
I've noticed this as well. Some people make religion into something of a really catty sorority.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:09 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yup, that pretty well sums it up for me.
You see another version here too. They don't usually come right out and tell others that they are nice. But when they post about how 'others' are mean, don't play nice, attack the 'nice' people, to me they imply that they are nice people, but it's those 'others' that are always causing problems. They get very indignant at any suggestion that something they posted was not nice.
There's a thread just for that! When anybody calmly points out that one of the "nice" complainers is being really nasty about the so-called mean people, they never respond to the post.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:26 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
It's kind of like ethics. If someone tells you how honest they are, that's when you keep your hand on your wallet.

Same kind of thing.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:44 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
When I ran a small business and a new customer boasted about how good his credit was, he usually turned out to be more crooked than a snakes's belly.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Repetition has its benefits. Its absolutely tried and true that if you repeat a behavior enough...it tends to incorporate itself .

Btw Silibran, I've read many of your posts and you have remained consistent in your genuineness...which to me conveys you are "Kind and Nice" in action and life. Keep being you!
My goodness! Thank you.

Can’t rep you. I guess I like your posts a lot too.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:29 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
How do you define being nice? By how you act, what you think, how you come across to other people?

For me, it's the opposite. I try all the time to be nice, but I feel like I fail at being a nice person a lot and I don't always think I am one. Sometimes I hurt people without meaning to and sometimes I mean to hurt them even when I realize I shouldn't and that bothers me the most. I know I can't be perfect, but I could be a little (or a lot) less judgemental and I could be more empathetic.

I've seen people go through life just as they are and others have to take them that way or not, and those people don't worry about how they come across to others. They just are. I stress about how I am all the time and know I could do better. C'est la guerre!

Old 02-24-2019, 09:20 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm not nice by nature. I have to consciously work at it. I think the meanest things about people and have very little patience with certain types.

Then I'll meet someone like this woman I know who probably has the lowest IQ possible before one is considered special needs, and who frustrates me no end because she can't hold an intelligent conversation or spell for beans, but she runs circles around me in terms of having a kind heart and the willingness to do anything to help anyone. That sort of thing humbles me and makes me want to be a better person.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who are these people, who go around saying they're nice? I've never known such a person. Excepting public figures, who may at times feel it necessary to make such a proclamation, do average people do this? I can't relate.
Guys usually say it on dating profiles

Old 02-25-2019, 12:55 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've noticed this as well. Some people make religion into something of a really catty sorority.
Wow, this part of the thread brought up an unpleasant memory of a college roommate. I was 2 years her senior in grade but had transferred from another program so was also older in years. When we met at the room for the first time she introduced herself by saying "Have you found God in your life?" I made some surprised comment about having already made my spiritual choices for myself, thank you very much. After that, this sanctimonious do-gooder had no trouble informing me what I should do to save my soul. I'm not religious but pretty tolerant about beliefs people around me have...there are many paths to the mountain.

This gal was always talking about her church-related activities, preaching, and fluttering around like a grounded angel. I'm sure she considered herself above reproach, very nice. She had a boyfriend who was just as bad. They'd leave me little notes saying things like "Tod and I hope you find the guidance you need for a wonderful life". "We just wanted you to know we are praying for you today." etc. Then most evenings the two of them would curl up on her bed and shamelessly gossip about everyone they knew in furtive whispers for hours: fellow students, church members, relatives, friends/neighbors at home...no one was spared. I mean judgmental, vicious stuff.

Her mother was due to come visit. I wondered if she'd be any worse than her hypocritical daughter. Surprise surprise, her mother turned out to be a great person; friendly, welcoming, open minded and with a great sense of humor about the world...including her snotty daughter. We hit it off right away. The daughter was miffed, almost offended. She obviously felt mom was less than acceptable. Too bad. Mom was....NICE! Guess you just never know.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-25-2019 at 01:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships