Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times

Advertisements

I've gained too much weight in recent years to wear my only suit, and can't afford a new one. I only have that suit, as I don't even wear suits unless it's a special occasion.

Maybe his dad will wear a suit but is a long-sleeved dress shirt with a tie and khaki pants ok? Or even a new short-sleeved white or pastel polo shirt...is that too casual for a special day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:01 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Title should read:

Wear a suit or just a tie ok?

(Unsure how to edit a title)

Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Not too casual at all. And bless you for attending. If possible, I’d have passed on any graduation I’ve attended, including my own and my kids’.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 AM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I've gained too much weight in recent years to wear my only suit, and can't afford a new one. I only have that suit, as I don't even wear suits unless it's a special occasion.

Maybe his dad will wear a suit but is a long-sleeved dress shirt with a tie and khaki pants ok? Or even a new short-sleeved white or pastel polo shirt...is that too casual for a special day?
I think it depends on the pedigree of the school, to an extent. Guests don't tend to dress for community-college graduation as they might at, let's say, Carnegie Mellon or Temple or Yale.

For your best guidance, look up pictures of his school's previous year's commencement, where they show families standing in groups. There will be all shapes and sizes. That will show you what's appropriate for the occasion. I think even at the most prestigious institutions, pressed slacks and shirt, a tie, and the right [pill-free] sweater could be appropriate for you. (And I think it looks better especially if there's a belly happening... it looks better to soften the tummy, rather than have it jutting out from over the belt. That gives a mall-cellphone salesman look. My husband has this issue and wears sweaters in the cool weather and sweater vests with the sleeves rolled up in the summer. Long-sleeve shirt, sleeves rolled up crisply, tie, sweater vest. It looks nice.)

eta an example: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507499...72678/?lp=true

Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Wear what you want that is flattering to you, especially if it's at a large university.

Most of those have so many guests that you blend in and see all manner of dress.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
... is a long-sleeved dress shirt with a tie and khaki pants ok?
Yes, provided the khakis are pressed and in good condition. Not the every day khakis that are fraying at the hem.

Quote:
Or even a new short-sleeved white or pastel polo shirt...is that too casual for a special day?
Too casual. Though Pink Jazz would approve.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I both work at and attended top 40 private colleges and it isn't super common to see most men in suits. Not the least because there is no air conditioning in the space! Some years (and locations) are better than others in this regard. One of the blessings of this cold spring in New England is that it won't be miserably hot at graduation!

I believe my dad wore a blazer. My brother just wore a button down. Even as staff working the event, I wear a nice dress and leggings while my male coworkers wear pressed shirts and slacks. Our photographer wears a suit, but really only to distinguish himself so that it's know he has precedence over parents trying to grab snapshots in the aisles.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:53 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I would guess that in most places it is ok. Boston is more formal though. I don't think a suit is a necessity but a sportcoat would be nice.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I wore a suit the last time I attended a college graduation but that was in 1973.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I attended my daughter's graduation yesterday. I didn't see anyone in a suit except some of the people receiving MBAs. My exh and my daughter's boyfriend both wore black jeans and button-down shirts. I wore a long T-shirt dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships