Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Maybe you can talk her into hosting your party online....so it won't seem so intrusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 06:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Maybe you can talk her into hosting your party online....so it won't seem so intrusive.
I thought that is what most of these MLM businesses did nowadays. Typically they have an event on Facebook so they reach more people and it's also more convenient for everyone involved.

I've had friends of friends of friends sell those jamberry nail wraps, and been sent invites. It seems like whoever is selling them recruits all their friends to send invites out to their friend list, and then those people are also encouraged to send out invites to those that may be interested, and so on and so on...

Old 03-06-2019, 07:12 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Right on point here. Do it today and remember the lesson you learned. If you have the party some of your friends may get suckered in and will blame you. Do whatever you have to do but don't host the party. It Works should be called It Sucks.
Good cautionary advice. If you are the host of this "party", you could be implicated in any legal action that might result from it. Any of your friends who got skinned by bad deals, would never let you claim that you had no involvement in it, other than providing the location. You can bet that this friend of yours, will urge you to invite everyone you know.

One idea, is to locate some article online that exposes this company, print it and hand it to your friend. You might save her from ever getting involved with them, in the first place. And if a bunch of strangers come into your house, you may find that some of your valuables will walk away with them.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I would be honest. Tell her you thought it was a real business when you agreed. And I would use the word "real." I can't believe how many keep falling for this.

You also have to think of how your friends will react to the invitation. They may become ex friends.
Yeah; whether they come to the party or not, some of them are likely to remember it and think differently of you for being involved in this scam and trying to suck them into it. I know I probably would.

I would stay away from hitting so hard on the word"real," though. That can come across as pretty judgmental, and how does that help anything? Best to just to keep it neutral, I think.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
"Hi friend, I have been thinking it over, and it is just not going to work for me to host a party for you."

Keep it short and simple. If she asks anything, just repeat ^.

This. If you give a reason like "none of my friends are interested" she might have an end run around that reason like "no worries, I'll take care of the invites, I just need a venue" and now you are needing to manufacture a new reason.

If she stops being your friend because you wouldn't host a party for her then she wasn't really your friend anyway.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:42 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Simple.

Grab a hold of yourself and go through with it. It’s a few hours out of your day.
1. You may have fun even if you don’t buy anything
2. You won’t be that guy/girl who cancels out with some bs reason. And any reason will be a bs reason. Unless you or a loved one is in a hospital bed it’s a excuse
3. You will still have this young lady as yiur friend.

Funny thing is my wife says she hates those things but goes to them. She tried to rope me into going. Yeah that didn’t work out to well. She says I can be stubborn.

Now take “let me know how I can help” and remove it from your vocabulary.
Why should the OP have to go through with it? Just because she said "let me know how I can help"? What if the friend had requested a $25k investment? Would the OP have had to cough up the money because she said "let me know how I can help"?

That statement didn't obligate her to do anything.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Simple.

Grab a hold of yourself and go through with it. It’s a few hours out of your day.
1. You may have fun even if you don’t buy anything
2. You won’t be that guy/girl who cancels out with some bs reason. And any reason will be a bs reason. Unless you or a loved one is in a hospital bed it’s a excuse
3. You will still have this young lady as yiur friend..
All of these statements are pretty much false. Especially #3. Many friendships end when someone doesn't wish to be recruited into these businesses. And these parties are almost never fun. They are oriented around pressuring others to open up their wallets. You would be lucky if they even served beverages at these things - many times, they don't.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post
Cool story, needs more dragons :-)
No, I met Sasquatch the other day, no dragons

Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
LOL, I can't believe I got suckered into hosting one of those "home" parties because I avoid them like the plague.

And this is all my fault,

I have a good friend at my church, I've known her about 4 years and while we usually socialize mainly at church events, I do like her and we've gone out for lunch and stuff like that. My church has a food bank and we both volunteer.

Anyhoo, she currently works for comcast but has been wanting to open her own business for years now. all this time she's talked about opening her own clothing store in the tourist area of my city (Philly). Two weeks ago she said she was starting her own business and silly me thought it was her own shop. Sooooo, open mouth and insert foot. I jumped in, full force, congratulating her for taking the leap and saying "let me know if there is any thing I can do to help at all". weeeel, turns out she's started that multi level marketing stuff, when I was a young mom, they were very popular. candles, tupperware, etc. and wants me to "host" a party.

I hated them with the passion of 10 burning suns. I do support a few of my friends but I thought the trend died out.

she's selling something called "it works". supplements and "natural" probiotics.

Ok, all you brilliant people, ever have to host one of these?? how to get out of it? . Now I do like this young lady, she is nice and we get along great so no, just dropping her is not some thing I want to do.
I'm short on time but did some googling. You can also google it works reviews or lawsuit. You'll get ton s of results. I surely wouldn't do it.

It Works® Products: Reviews and Results

Former Knoxville 'It Works' distributor warns others to 'check the fine print
'

"This is a scam and pyramid scheme"

Old 03-07-2019, 03:04 PM

736 posts, read 456,269 times
MLM-Moms Lying to Moms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships