Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:43 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times

Advertisements

Are you 12 years old? No one will ignore the fact that you are spending time trying to gather people who will agree that your actions are correct rather than have a brief conversation with your mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I agree which is why I decided to ignore and delete her text messages. The last thing I need to do right now is yell to the top of my lungs and raise my blood pressure.
Good grief - how old are you that you are yelling at your own mother? Many years ago my husband's mother called him (in the days before cell phones) and left a message for him to call before she went to visit her sister out of state. He was busy and didn't call her back. She died in bed while visiting her sister. He regretted not calling her back for years. Yes you handled her text the wrong way; I realize that's not what you want to hear but do what you want, most people do.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 AM

801 posts, read 615,644 times
Quote:
That's what I did but she responded with 2 more text messages probably saying something that was going to make upset so I deleted them. I didn't want to get myself aggravated so I said it's best to ignore the text call tomorrow.
You can't just have a flash of agitation, respond with, "As I said before, I'll call you tomorrow, Mom," and go about your day?

You don't HAVE to text back, call back, or ruin your own day by giving into your irritation. It doesn't matter how many more times she keeps texting back. You never have to respond any other way than what YOU choose. If she intends to text you every 2 minutes, block her until you choose. I'm sure she will be irritated... there seems to be a history of you both treating each other with disrespect. Stop that. Stop being so volatile and reactionary.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
I was asking should I have responded to the text tonight near bed time instead of this morning to avoid her stupid text message she sent today?

WTF does it even matter? You're going to do what you're going to do. You want us to justify your decision to ignore your mom?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
She sent me a text this morning saying to give a call sometime today and I responded letting her know that I have to go today which is rare for me on a sunday. So I just said It will probably have to be tomorrow because I don;t know what time I will be back in the house. Then she sends two text messages probably saying something like..."when it comes to your mother you should never" I decided not to read the text because I don;t want to get myself upset and call her cursing and yelling. I think she forgets how old I am and on my own and can call someone when I ready.

So should I have just ignored the text until later on tonight and said I would call her on Monday morning instead of saying it on sunday morning?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with texting back, "I've got a busy day today. I'll get back to you this evening or tomorrow."

What could possibly be wrong with that? And she texts you a lecture about your duty to respond immediately, because she's your mother? Wow. Could she by any chance, have narcissistic or domineering tendencies? You have my sympathy, OP.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That’s what she was SUPPOSED to do. You don’t get lifelong credit for things you’re supposed to do when you chose to bring a child into the world. Also, doesn’t excuse bad behavior like needing attention all the time.
THIS! Diss gets it!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with texting back, "I've got a busy day today. I'll get back to you this evening or tomorrow."

What could possibly be wrong with that? And she texts you a lecture about your duty to respond immediately, because she's your mother? Wow. Could she by any chance, have narcissistic or domineering tendencies? You have my sympathy, OP.
Sometimes fear that your adult child doesn’t care or is irritated or has contempt for you can lead a parent to texting for reassurance, doesn’t necessarily mean they are narcissistic. However there seems more to this than one incident and an inability by the op to set healthy respectful boundaries.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
The question was did I handle the text the wrong way because I responded early in the day instead of waiting until the end of the day to say I will call tomorrow. I guess after this experience I will just ignore her texts and call when I get time.
I get the feeling that if your mom is as needy as she sounds putting off a response will only make her worry, therefore she will only text more often. I agree with others that the best thing to do is to respond and let her know you will be unavailable until such and such time. Then make sure you DO call back when you said you would.

Also there is no reason you have to text someone back if you don't like it. You always have the option to respond to a text with a phone call.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Well I called my mom today and the first thing she said was.."I apologize for what I said in the text message" and I told her I never read them. So it looks like I made the right decision to ignore them and just call today because I know for a fact I would have probably been upset after reading whatever she sent me.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I am a mom of an adult daughter, and it would not bother me if she did not return a call or e-mail right away (like within three or four days or so) unless I said it was urgent and/or needed her to call or respond right away. If I did say that -- and I very rarely do -- it angers me if I don't hear back within 24 hours, at most unless she has a very good reason for not responding. To ignore a call like that practically screams that you don't care about the person at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships