Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No. You don't ask people to change their plans. If he doesn't want to pay he should decline the invite.
Different people can have different group dynamics. Good friends don't have to stand on perfect etiquette all the time. It's perfectly acceptable to say I cannot afford the VIP showing, but would like to go to a regular showing, if that is agreeable (in a more casual wording, since these are good friends).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:07 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Clearly most here do not know the OPs other sagas.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:12 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
If the seats vibrate that’s almost for sure D-Box and it’s awesome! I don’t blame you on the alcohol thing though, but I mean... I don’t see movies with friends for this reason. I just go alone usually or sometimes with my fiancé because I refuse to see any big movie in any format but IMAX. I just feel like it’s a waste of going to a theater to see something in the average regular theater that struggles to compete with my own home system. I can’t imagine seeing Star Wars in anything but IMAX at least the first time for instance, but my friends understand that I have high standards theatrically and I won’t compromise that to sit in a dark quiet theater lol I’ll just be angry if I’m seeing it in an inferior format / theater.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
And so what, if you don't like or I don't like what OP says, I say nothing. Not a bad idea for everyone. No one is perfect for sure.

OP: On the movie issue, I have gone to movies so much of my life, and now I don't as I can't sit for hours and I only went to see the movie not to spend a bunch of cash on stuff I don't want.

Stay home with all the stuff at everyone's disposal today.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Lol, yep. I don't.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:37 AM

561 posts, read 324,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So, OP could always compromise and not see the VIP premiere but still pay a little extra ($4-6) because his friends want to drink beer and not have to wait in line.

But why bring up sensible compromise scenarios based on the reality of what actually going to the movies is like?

It's more fun to sit here and give advice to dump/disown your friends because they are judging you on your lifestyle.
You are 100% certain this is even an option at the theaters in OP's neighborhood? Because maybe asking the friends to go to the regular showing with him once in a while actually is a sensible compromise based on options available at the theaters in his neighborhood?

It's more fun to sit and judge and assume that every option available to you is available to everyone in every city and neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
You are 100% certain this is even an option at the theaters in OP's neighborhood? Because maybe asking the friends to go to the regular showing with him once in a while actually is a sensible compromise based on options available at the theaters in his neighborhood?

It's more fun to sit and judge and assume that every option available to you is available to everyone in every city and neighborhood.
I'm pretty sure that it is.

I mean, really I don't think OP wanted a solution so much as a springboard for a debate. Which is cool. But I will duck out. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM

561 posts, read 324,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I'm a spender. When I want something I do not care about the cost, I get it. When I go out with friends who are "cheap", it drives me crazy because it makes me look like the bad guy. Just like when you eat out with friends and the check comes, the people who are dividing the bill to the last penny make me want to climb a tree. The reason we work is to enjoy the fruits of our labor, and the day I have to start counting every penny, put me in a box.
So do you still hang out with the friends who can't afford to throw money like you do or do you stick with like minded people? I don't understand how going out with "cheap" friends makes you look like a bad guy unless you are acting like the bad guy. Do you take turns in going to spendy places and cheaper places or is one side or the other always demanding their way? I'm basically spend conscious but I don't mind treating myself once in a while to something more frivolous. I'm just not going to do it every day to appease someone else. I also don't expect everyone else to always eat off the dollar menu either. Once in a while we can eat lobster, once in a while we can eat sandwiches and sometimes we can meet in the middle and have chicken or fish. Friendships require balance.

My brother in law sounds very similar to you. I'm going to take a guess we're in a different age group but his mentality is the same. If he wants it he gets it and when the bill comes he's tossing down $100 bills before the rest of us can even approximate what we owe. What he doesn't understand is that some of us count our pennies now so that we aren't later when we reach 60's and 70's and the Wal Mart greeter position doesn't pay as much as the one we had when we threw money around. Yes, I have the money. No, I am not required to spend it because you believe I should.

Everyone has a different definition of enjoying the fruits of our labor. He likes to play the big shot and spend money as fast as he earns it and that's great for him because it doesn't affect me. His plans for later in life if he has any, aren't my concern or worry. By the same token if I throw all my money around now just to keep up with him, he's not going to be taking care of me later when the well runs dry. So by that reasoning I have zero right to get mad at him for spending and he has zero right to get mad at me for not paying for everyone. Maybe his retirement plan is a box too? I don't know. It's not my concern.

While he's eating lobster every day now, I'm eating a lot of sandwiches and paying for a second home in a nice comfortable spot in which I plan to retire early, free and clear. To each their own.

I just don't think the OP is a jerk for asking for a compromise. VIP seat this week, GA seat next week.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
I'm so cheap that I haven't gone out to a movie in forever. The last one I went to was Avatar, whenever that was.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
An extra 14 bucks is a big deal????? You said you have tons of money to blow, your friends know this.

Why only working PT?

Yes, an extra $14 can be a very big deal. Especially if you live on a fixed income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships