Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is it possible for someone to be offended by the choice of postage stamps you use on an envelope or package? For example, if one were to mail out a letter with an Alzheimer's stamp on it and someone in the recipients family was afflicted with it, would that unwittingly impose sorrow upon the recipient? Likewise, if one mailed a letter with a stamp of a politician or activist the recipient didn't agree with ideologically, would the recipient be offended and form a negative impression of the sender? Do you all mail letters with holiday themed postage to people you are unsure whether or not they celebrate the holiday?
I loved getting those stamps the march of dimes or some charity would send. I'd use them instead of actual postage....saved a bundle...but now they seem to have stopped that...bummer.

Of course if a stamp offends you, then you really should seek counseling....Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 04:26 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I loved getting those stamps the march of dimes or some charity would send. I'd use them instead of actual postage....saved a bundle...but now they seem to have stopped that...bummer.

Of course if a stamp offends you, then you really should seek counseling....Really.

I'm not offended by any stamps. I'm just wondering if the majority of people would react negatively if they received a Valentine themed Love stamp, when I am not in love with that person or a Christmas stamp in June?
Only reason why I would do this instead of placing a generic flag stamp is to use up old stamps that I inherited.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
How much of a letter or package can one cover with stamps?
Pretty much everything except the address. The boxes I mentioned receiving had stamps on five sides (but not the bottom). I wouldn't put them on the bottom of a box or the back of an envelope.

I don't pay any attention to stamps on mail I receive unless they are unusually lovely ones that catch my eye. I don't think I'd even notice a Christmas stamp in June, and if I did I would think nothing of it--just assume that the person was using up old stamps. You are overthinking this.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
I'm not offended by any stamps. I'm just wondering if the majority of people would react negatively if they received a Valentine themed Love stamp, when I am not in love with that person or a Christmas stamp in June?
Only reason why I would do this instead of placing a generic flag stamp is to use up old stamps that I inherited.
I don’t really think people look at them that carefully. I’ve sent heart stamps to my account and then others before because they were the only stamps I had at the time.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t really think people look at them that carefully. I’ve sent heart stamps to my account and then others before because they were the only stamps I had at the time.

Would you place an Eid stamp(s) on an envelope or package to someone you know that was not of the Muslim faith?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Well, this thread seems to be more concerned about theme stamps that may offend people simply by the theme. Like I've posted, I scroll through the new, available stamps and order them based on fun or beauty. I still say it matters more what the occasion is, like you wouldn't want to put a Bozo the Clown stamp on the envelope of a funeral sympathy card.

I don't belong to a religion or any other group, but if someone sent me something with a stamp signifying their belief of something, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 AM

17,745 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
OP, just use your old stamps to pay bills (if you don't pay them online) and generic flag stamps for everything else.

If you do pay your bills online, you could probably sell your themed stamps on ebay for about 70% of the value.

I doubt anybody cares about the theme of the stamp, but if you are really concerned about possibly offending people then just do what I suggested above.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:27 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Would you place an Eid stamp(s) on an envelope or package to someone you know that was not of the Muslim faith?
I don’t know what an IED stamp is, but when I go to post office and ask for a book of stamps I doubt I’m going to get one with a religious symbol. I probably wouldn’t buy stamps with religious symbols, but I would have no problem sending a stamp with Mother Teresa or Ghandi on it. I have no idea what religion my accountant and other business people I deal with are. If the only stamp I had though had a cross or a Jewish star or whatever and IED symbol is, I would use it.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t know what an IED stamp is,....whatever and IED symbol is, I would use it.

Not IED, Eid. Eid al-Fitr is the Muslim holiday celebrating the end of Ramadan.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
15 pages. Really???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships