Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 818 times

Advertisements

The boom boom from the young fellow's truck began a little after 5am, he and the truck live around the corner from me in a usually quiet neighborhood. Around 7 I went over and asked him to lower it. He rationalized it, his girl friend gave me a mad dog look. She needed to demonstrate how the volume can go low (really?!) and then cranked up. I told her even the low vibrates down the streets radiating from the truck. She thought that cool. For a short while it was low but now it's cranked again. I hate calling 911 for something minor but YIKES! Plus, if TPD makes the call, I question whether the looks-like-trouble girl may retaliate. It's a sad world these days not being able to talk kindly to someone and have it misconstrued. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReid View Post
The boom boom from the young fellow's truck began a little after 5am, he and the truck live around the corner from me in a usually quiet neighborhood. Around 7 I went over and asked him to lower it. He rationalized it, his girl friend gave me a mad dog look. She needed to demonstrate how the volume can go low (really?!) and then cranked up. I told her even the low vibrates down the streets radiating from the truck. She thought that cool. For a short while it was low but now it's cranked again. I hate calling 911 for something minor but YIKES! Plus, if TPD makes the call, I question whether the looks-like-trouble girl may retaliate. It's a sad world these days not being able to talk kindly to someone and have it misconstrued. Thanks for listening.
I sympathize, but this isn't a 911 issue.

Call the police non-emergency number and report it. Most cities have noise ordinances, and 5 am is probably off limits.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:52 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I sympathize, but this isn't a 911 issue.

Call the police non-emergency number and report it. Most cities have noise ordinances, and 5 am is probably off limits.

Can't rep you again, Yes, please. 911 is for emergencies. Every police department has a non-emergency number. Look on your cities website.

As for the noise, it's a tough call. We pick and choose the things we bring up, but we let a lot go because we have cats and we worry about retaliation, too. It does suck that people can't be respectful anymore.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Can't rep you again, Yes, please. 911 is for emergencies. Every police department has a non-emergency number. Look on your cities website.
That depends, though. Where I live, if you call the non-emergency number, you're told to hang up and call 911 and to tell the dispatcher it's a non-emergency and you want an officer to respond,. But yes, best to know what's right in your area.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:57 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Sounds like you haven't even bothered to check the noise regulations in your town.

Check around and ask your neighbors if they agree with you. It'll help if there are several of you complaining.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:01 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
old song: We Like the Cars that go BOOM...Le Tigre

Old 06-09-2019, 05:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReid View Post
Why would you call 911? This not an emergency.

Call the non emergency police number and report them.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

As for the noise, it's a tough call. We pick and choose the things we bring up, but we let a lot go because we have cats and we worry about retaliation, too. It does suck that people can't be respectful anymore.
If you’re cats are indoors, where they belong, what’s going to happen to them?

I agree to choose your battles, but booming music at 0500 is a battle I will fight

Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sounds like you haven't even bothered to check the noise regulations in your town.

Check around and ask your neighbors if they agree with you. It'll help if there are several of you complaining.
If you can't find neighbors, call from every phone you own. Been there done that, got the desired result. We had two landlines and two cell phones, so there were four calls...

Old 06-09-2019, 07:56 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That depends, though. Where I live, if you call the non-emergency number, you're told to hang up and call 911 and to tell the dispatcher it's a non-emergency and you want an officer to respond,. But yes, best to know what's right in your area.
Isn't that bizarre? It was like that where I used to live. If you called the non-emergency number for a non-emergency, they would tell you to call 911. I had to do that once and I felt like I was going to get in trouble for calling 911 for such a stupid reason - someone had stolen Christmas lights, etc. from my yard. Hardly an emergency, but that's what they wanted me to do, so I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships