Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

LOL, I can't believe I got suckered into hosting one of those "home" parties because I avoid them like the plague.

And this is all my fault,

I have a good friend at my church, I've known her about 4 years and while we usually socialize mainly at church events, I do like her and we've gone out for lunch and stuff like that. My church has a food bank and we both volunteer.

Anyhoo, she currently works for comcast but has been wanting to open her own business for years now. all this time she's talked about opening her own clothing store in the tourist area of my city (Philly). Two weeks ago she said she was starting her own business and silly me thought it was her own shop. Sooooo, open mouth and insert foot. I jumped in, full force, congratulating her for taking the leap and saying "let me know if there is any thing I can do to help at all". weeeel, turns out she's started that multi level marketing stuff, when I was a young mom, they were very popular. candles, tupperware, etc. and wants me to "host" a party.

I hated them with the passion of 10 burning suns. I do support a few of my friends but I thought the trend died out.

she's selling something called "it works". supplements and "natural" probiotics.

Ok, all you brilliant people, ever have to host one of these?? how to get out of it? . Now I do like this young lady, she is nice and we get along great so no, just dropping her is not some thing I want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:12 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
"Hi friend, I was looking into "It Works" and found out it is a MLM company. I don't support those, they prey off people who need to make money and 99% of the people who go into them do not make money. I'm going to have to withdraw my invite to host the party."

If you're OK with fibbing, tell her a friend or relative got burned financially by an MLM, and that is why you hate them with such a passion.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:13 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Just tell her that while you want to support her as a friend, you don't like getting involved with home sales parties.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
"Hi friend, I was looking into "It Works" and found out it is a MLM company. I don't support those, they prey off people who need to make money and 99% of the people who go into them do not make money. I'm going to have to withdraw my invite to host the party."
Right on point here. Do it today and remember the lesson you learned. If you have the party some of your friends may get suckered in and will blame you. Do whatever you have to do but don't host the party. It Works should be called It Sucks.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:22 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I would decline without any commentary on the company itself. Doing so could come across as being critical of her decisions, and that could adversely affect the friendship.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:22 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
when I was a young mom, they were very popular. candles, tupperware, etc. and wants me to "host" a party.
They still are very popular.

Quote:
I hated them with the passion of 10 burning suns. I do support a few of my friends but I thought the trend died out.
Oh, no. They are alive and thriving. Supplements, clothing, jewelry, makeup, nail wraps....And yes, I've heard of "it works" but amongst my friends, that particular product has faded out. So maybe it "kinda" works but not really.

Quote:
Ok, all you brilliant people, ever have to host one of these?? how to get out of it? . Now I do like this young lady, she is nice and we get along great so no, just dropping her is not some thing I want to do.
I have never hosted, and I rarely buy - maybe that's why I'm not on anyone's radar.

For etiquette's sake, I don't think you can get out of hosting. You did offer "anything to help at all" so I think you might be stuck. To help ease the pain, you could offer to do an online party (if you're on FB).

1.) You don't have to have an actual party in your home
2.) People are more likely to buy online instead of come to a party

Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

If you're OK with fibbing, tell her a friend or relative got burned financially by an MLM, and that is why you hate them with such a passion.

Thanks guys.

I was sort of floored when she told me this is what she was doing. for years she has been talking about being her own store owner, we've talked about ways to do that, people to mentor her etc etc. Can't understand how she got on this band wagon.

I've never understood how these things even make money. seriously, if I was going to buy nutritional supplements, I would simply go to a local GNC or better yet talk to the trainers at my gym.

I did look it up on line and what I especially hate are these rah-rah claims they sell. "Oh you can make thousands of dollars" easily. yeah right

Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would decline without any commentary on the company itself. Doing so could come across as being critical of her decisions, and that could adversely affect the friendship.
Absolutely

There's no need to pontificate about the evils of MLM, especially to someone who is just getting started in it.

Your main priority, OP, is to get out of hosting, so make that your focus. Just send her a brief message telling her that you're very sorry, but you cannot host the party after all. You can even make a vague reference to it being out of your comfort zone or whatever, but just be clear that you are canceling, and do it ASAP before she tells anyone.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Maybe you will get lucky. years ago I hosted two Tupperware parties and zero people showed up.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
DON'T SHOW WEAKNESS!!! Hahaha.

I don't mind going to those kind of parties - Cavi, NoonDay, 31, Norwex. And yes, they're thriving. Don't go to Rodan-Fields because you can't get out of there for under $150.

You know what you're getting in to because you can google the company and be prepared for what you're willing to buy, and you'll like the people there and the snacks. ;D

Unlike Amway, where they'd lie to you about what the party was for and then you'd be blindsided. HATE THAT!!

But I never host. Never. And you can't falter on that, and look like you're considering it. Sometimes I say I can't because I don't have any friends and the representative really does NOT know how to respond to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships