Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times

Advertisements

why isn't this in the retirement forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
It’s one thing on a chalk board in a small brewery, it’s quite another on a label shipped all over.
Lol.. it must take you forever to shop if you’re correcting grammar and spelling on the labels before you buy a product. This must a great buy! No grammar or spelling errors on their label! I am sure this will taste better!

Old 05-23-2019, 10:22 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Lol.. it must take you forever to shop if you’re correcting grammar and spelling on the labels before you buy a product. This must a great buy! No grammar or spelling errors on their label! I am sure this will taste better!
It’s more a “Nothing is wrong... question everything” mentality.

I have seen employees put up the message on the marquee making more than one error.

Like the “N” and “S” are backwards. This is done because the transparency of the letter can go either way. Instead of fixing it because it is wrong you receive a snarky remark that you are judging them.

There is no right and wrong anymore.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:29 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
I was an ace speller in school and still am. It is just a natural talent. My husband misspells many words and I long ago quit correcting him. And, you should hear his malapropisms. I quietly chuckle in another room. We have a small business and I make the signs plus communicate via the written word. If he adds some words to a sign and they are mispelled, I just correct them and leave it at that. Bad spelling annoys me but he has wonderful qualities.

I would leave it. Not worth the relationship.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I frequent a local brewery and the owner has become a personal friend of mine. I've known him fairly well for about two years. The guy is around 60 and just started this business several years ago - he couldn't have been younger than 55 or so when he started it. My family has connections and friendships with him going back to my dad and a couple of uncles. With all the family ties, he's like an extended uncle to me now.

The problem is that apparently neither him nor any of his staff can spell worth a damn. "Blackberry" became "BlackBerrie," and this was printed on a massive line of cans he had done for retail sale.
That sounds like an intentional branding scheme.

Quote:
There are misspellings on his public ads, on beer labels, etc. When you go in the taproom, probably a third of the beers on the chalk board he has are spelled incorrectly. It's a huge distraction.
Like what? You've only given one example, and most people seem to feel it was done intentionally.

Quote:
The guy has massive talent as a brewer and has been discussed numerous times on beer fora and state Facebook beer groups as one of the best breweries in his state, but these spelling errors are making the place look like it's run by imbeciles. His beer board is spelled so incorrectly that people who aren't familiar with him or his brewing may not even know what some beers are/supposed to be.

How would you approach him on this?
I wouldn't, especially considering if you approach him about it and it turns out he's doing it intentionally as a marketing/brand strategy, the only one who will look like an "imbecile" is you.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
It apparently hasn't hurt his business. By now, it is just part of his shtick.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:20 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I think I wouldn't, unless he's a very close friend, like someone you've known since childhood and are very comfortable being completely open and honest with.

Maybe you can recommend a 75-year-old (your mom? an aunt? a random stranger?) who's looking for a part time retirement job as a receptionist or secretarial help, who was raised back when spelling was an actual skill they taught in skool. Oops, I mean school! They're great for proofreading and correcting stuff. They also speak correct English.

For those who are old enough, the really good ones were in their 80s back in the 1970s or so. Man, could those people speak and write beautiful English.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 PM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Challenge him to a spelling bee when he's sober and you're inebriated on his product.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Given that it's incredibly rare to find spelling errors on labels, even the hardcore English Language Nazi who abides by such a policy will rarely have a transaction-determining situation arise

Old 05-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Even if it's not intentional, people probably think it is.
I'd have to see the specific misspellings to be able to judge (or assume) intent. The only one mentioned in the OP, blackberrie for blackberry, could just be seen as a 'cute' twist on the word, done intentionally. But the way OP describes the general state of affairs, it sounds like that's the exception
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships