Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM

938 posts, read 447,319 times

Advertisements

And what was stolen from you? Did you ever have stolen property returned?

I've had a wheel stolen off my car, a car cover stolen right off a car and recently had some baseball cards lifted by a neighbor, but he won't admit to it.
I've never had stolen property returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM

249 posts, read 196,566 times
Sorry to hear about that. It can feel quite invasive. I can't imagine suspecting someone I know, even a neighbor. I'd try to let go of that, if you can; seems like something that could eat at you.

I've been robbed twice, both in Florida when I lived there. Mugged once for my bag, then a car window broken for a tennis racket inside (a few years apart).

Old 06-22-2019, 02:12 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,311,608 times
Wallet stolen once.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:25 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times
DH had a large clay pot used for extinguishing cigarettes stolen from outside the door to a previous office. He also had two thefts of money from inside the office - cash kept to make change for clients who pay with cash. One theft we suspected who did it but could not prove it. The second we have on video.

Someone stole an artificial wreath from our front door.

I either lost or had a wallet stolen from my purse. I suspect it was theft.

Nothing recovered.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
First time I had something stolen from me, I was in elementary school. I had one of the little Golden Book references to natural science subjects, a book I had bought, not a school-owned text. I think mine was on fish or birds or minerals. Anyway, the little book sat on my desk when I briefly left the desk. Upon returning, I found it missing. Hmmm. At that grade level, kids did not just leave the classroom any time they felt like it. The thief had to be a classmate. But for the life of me, I didn’t know anybody in there who seemed a likely culprit.

Well, you know how there was always one or two unremarkable, unnoticed kids in every class? Yeah, THAT guy, who sat one desk over from me. I found out it was him later, when MY book was sitting on his desk! What nerve! I picked it up in front of him, loudly saying, “So YOU’RE the one who stole MY book.” He turned bright red and didn’t say one word. Yeah, I hate thieves and will confront them.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Sorry to hear about that. It can feel quite invasive. I can't imagine suspecting someone I know, even a neighbor. I'd try to let go of that, if you can; seems like something that could eat at you.
Thanks. The cards can be replaced (some already have been), but I won't bother with him again.
I won't let it eat at me, I'm just gonna move on from it.
Yeah, it'll be somewhat awkward for a little while being he lives across the street from me.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:42 PM

23,352 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Though who actually stole the items was never proven, we were pretty sure who it was. I was away at college but kept a couple of hand embroidered Mexican dresses at my parents' house. They were unique, beautiful, and sentimental. Didn't want to subject them to dorm laundries, roommates, and wouldn't have worn them in that climate anyway. My mother became disabled so they had hired a part time housekeeper/home health aide. The housekeeper was flaky and didn't last long. When I returned from classes a month or so later the dresses were missing. The thought that this invader snooped through closets and then stole whatever she wanted upset my mother quite a bit and of course losing the dresses upset me. We found and bought the dresses during the last shopping trip we had been able to make together. Of course, nothing recovered and they weren't replaceable.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Though who actually stole the items was never proven, we were pretty sure who it was. I was away at college but kept a couple of hand embroidered Mexican dresses at my parents' house. They were unique, beautiful, and sentimental. Didn't want to subject them to dorm laundries, roommates, and wouldn't have worn them in that climate anyway. My mother became disabled so they had hired a part time housekeeper/home health aide. The housekeeper was flaky and didn't last long. When I returned from classes a month or so later the dresses were missing. The thought that this invader snooped through closets and then stole whatever she wanted upset my mother quite a bit and of course losing the dresses upset me. We found and bought the dresses during the last shopping trip we had been able to make together. Of course, nothing recovered and they weren't replaceable.
Sorry to hear that. Sentimental loss hurts worse than monetary loss.
I hate a thief, always have.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 PM

23,352 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Sorry to hear that. Sentimental loss hurts worse than monetary loss.
I hate a thief, always have.
Exactly. That, plus the betrayal of trust.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Exactly. That, plus the betrayal of trust.
Yeah, I'm at the point where I won't tell anybody what I have.

You should have seen my brother's behavior when I hit the number for 15K two years ago ...
Envy plays a big part in how some people will treat you. Never underestimate the power of envy.

Not to mention the people who are competitive with you, whether you realize it or not.

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 06-22-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships