Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,280,788 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm a single dude. I have a buddy of mine I've known for about 4 years. We consistently started to hang out again recently. I started to wonder why he has been hitting me up so often lately. Then I found out his girl dumped him. Now, he just got involved in another relationship (for about a month now). When I hit him up now to hang out, it's "oh I'm hanging with her on that night", or "oh man, ive got plans that night". Wtf? Why are people like that? They are only friends with you when they are single. Then when they enter another relationship, they disappear. I really want to hear what guys have to say(cause I'm a dude) about this. If you've had/have a "friend" like this, how did you handle the situation. Call them out on it? Or just write them off?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 04:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 889,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Call them out on it? Or just write them off?
Neither. Just get other friends and girlfriend yourself.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:07 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,603 times
OP should find a girlfriend of his own. Then all 4 of you can hang out and do stuff

Old 07-20-2019, 04:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Well, there are friends, and then there are lovers. They aren't equivalent.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:12 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Your best bet is to find other friends or just date around until you find someone. This recently happened to me with a "friend" of mine. He finally found a gf and he's pretty much disappeared from my life. It sucks but I knew it would happen sooner or later. But it's a little different since we are the opposite sex. When people start relationships, they tend to take priority over everything else. Which is understandable, but it doesn't alleviate the discomfort of your friend basically being snatched away. But honestly, your friend lowkey sounds like an opportunist. I think it's best you don't say anything as it is unlikely to change the situation in any way. Just find new friends/associates and move on. If he does try to come back when/if his new relationship ends, you can choose to either to talk about it then or just ignore him.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:15 PM

I'm one of those people that value friendship. GF or not, I still want to hang out with friends (I made the mistake a while ago of abandoning my friends when I was in a relationship).

Old 07-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Your best bet is to find other friends or just date around until you find someone. This recently happened to me with a "friend" of mine. He finally found a gf and he's pretty much disappeared from my life. It sucks but I knew it would happen sooner or later. But it's a little different since we are the opposite sex. When people start relationships, they tend to take priority over everything else. Which is understandable, but it doesn't alleviate the discomfort of your friend basically being snatched away. But honestly, your friend lowkey sounds like an opportunist. I think it's best you don't say anything as it is unlikely to change the situation in any way. Just find new friends/associates and move on. If he does try to come back when/if his new relationship ends, you can choose to either to talk about it then or just ignore him.
Solid advice

Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 PM

So I guess people like this aren't in fact actually friends.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:28 PM

36 posts, read 14,153 times
Slightly different story but same lesson. Left my job 9 months ago. Not one person stayed in touch with me even though we hung out and stuff. A true friend stays with you no matter what.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatYourWheaties View Post
Slightly different story but same lesson. Left my job 9 months ago. Not one person stayed in touch with me even though we hung out and stuff. A true friend stays with you no matter what.
This happens whether you're single or married. Work friends are just that, not true friends with the very rare exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships