Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 01:43 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,930 times

Advertisements

My late husband's brother lives in CA. He's over 80 now, has emphysema and COPD and years ago he called DH and asked if we could send him cigarettes because the taxes are much lower in our state. They'd pay us back.

Well, they didn't- but then DH and I were very comfortable and he and DSIL were just scraping by, due partly to quitting paying jobs too early in life. I/we continued sending them, even after DH died 3 years ago, but for the last year or so they never asked for refills. DSIL had told me in our last conversation that DBIL was in very bad shape and not likely to last too much longer. Even years ago he couldn't walk out to the mailbox at the end of the driveway without needing time to stop and catch his breath again.

So... when I got a voicemail from her I expected the worst. No, it wasn't that- DBIL had quit smoking for awhile but now he started again Could I send cigarettes?

Yeah, I will. Must be a powerful addiction.

Just needed to vent. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 02:08 PM

14,503 posts, read 12,148,609 times
It is a powerful addiction.

I quit several years ago now and I still wish I had one, several times a day.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Is it even legal to ship cigarettes across state lines??? I know they can't be mailed.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,902,095 times
Yes, it is very difficult to quit and I'm not sure whether the urge ever really goes away. It becomes less frequent and urgent the longer you have been an ex-smoker but it's there in the background.

I quit before we started trying for a baby because I didn't want to smoke when I was pregnant. I had previously quit drinking and that was a piece of cake compared to quitting smoking. I felt irritable for a few weeks and the first week was really bad because I would really crave smokes after eating and while I was on the phone. I gained weight, felt tired, and so on. I did feel better after a couple of months and the major cravings went away after about 3 months.

I never was bothered by it after I quit like some ex-smokers. I picked it up again after having quit for about 3 years and then quit again.

My dad quit cold turkey (!) after 52 years of smoking about 6 years before he passed away. He had a hell of a time with cravings the first few months but did okay with it and never did go back to it. He was a pretty strong-willed guy.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:01 PM

23,327 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Is it even legal to ship cigarettes across state lines??? I know they can't be mailed.
Here is info from the horse's mouth. Be careful OP.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_025.htm

Old 09-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Obviously it's not legal, I think the whole point is so he can avoid paying his local taxes on them.

Probably even part of the fun.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,062,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Obviously it's not legal, I think the whole point is so he can avoid paying his local taxes on them.

Probably even part of the fun.

I disagree. I think the whole point is that the OP is willing to buy a drug for an addict while getting no compensation back for it, OP takes all the illegal risks of shipping the drug across state lines to enable and support the addict's habit while the addict pays nothing for them, not even any taxes, and gets off scot free in all regards. The taxes is just a lame excuse that the addict uses to sucker the OP and the OP has fallen for it. Again. Meanwhile, the OP will face criminal charges if caught by authorities, maybe go to jail for it and the addict is not culpable in any way and will be laughing all the way to his own funeral at the OP's expense in coffin nails.

What pray tell is the fun in any of that except for the addict who is having his addiction enabled, supported and paid for in full, in all ways including criminal risks taken, by another person?

Old 09-21-2019, 10:04 PM

Well, your version sounds like a lot less fun than how the Brother In Law probably sees it.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 PM

17,789 posts, read 9,233,277 times
In the not so distant past, you could buy cigarettes online for dirt cheap from the Indian Reservations.

You still can, but now they are required to send purchase info to your state. So, there's no point as you have to pay the taxes.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 PM

88,629 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Yes, it is very difficult to quit and I'm not sure whether the urge ever really goes away. It becomes less frequent and urgent the longer you have been an ex-smoker but it's there in the background.

I quit before we started trying for a baby because I didn't want to smoke when I was pregnant. I had previously quit drinking and that was a piece of cake compared to quitting smoking. I felt irritable for a few weeks and the first week was really bad because I would really crave smokes after eating and while I was on the phone. I gained weight, felt tired, and so on. I did feel better after a couple of months and the major cravings went away after about 3 months.

I never was bothered by it after I quit like some ex-smokers. I picked it up again after having quit for about 3 years and then quit again.

My dad quit cold turkey (!) after 52 years of smoking about 6 years before he passed away. He had a hell of a time with cravings the first few months but did okay with it and never did go back to it. He was a pretty strong-willed guy.
Yes, and yet I had several people ask me cheerily, "Don't you feel better now that you quit?"

I thought that was the most idiotic question. OF COURSE NOT. NICOTINE made me feel better. Now I don't have it, and I feel worse.

You get used to the new normal, though.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-22-2019 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships