Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 05:37 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times

Advertisements

My mother is one of the rudest people I know and it has gotten worse with age. Of course she is married to a classless guy that is rude and has no manners whatsoever. These two are literally your worst nightmare as a waiter/waitress/clerk whatever.

Imagine snapping your fingers to get the attention of a waitress in a busy restaurant? Ordering drinks with free refills and literally trying to drink a glass before the waitress returns so they can get you another?

How about showing up to someone's birthday party (significant year for that person) then badgering the guests about coming to your own birthday party coming in the next 5 months?

How about these two bickering about what restaurant to eat at and then parking the car and each person going to a separate restaurant alone to eat?

I think old people lose focus when they are retired. They have nothing to do all day and less and less interaction with people (no job, no hobbies). Imagine working at a Dr's office full of old people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 24,802 times
I have to jump in here...my son and daughter constantly disrespect me by correcting my thinking process and my social behavior expectations. People I am 75 years old and if you are in my age range...we did pretty good relating to each other, making good life decisions, expecting to be treated civilly. Yes we grew up in the age of belief that customer service is paramount in the global workplace. What happened? Social networking!, internet technology, social behavioral changes! that's what happened. The old mores are not important anymore and Yes our children feel they are soooo much smarter than we are because of the above. But it is all relative...we were smarter because we (our generation) promoted the platforms for all of the interventions above to be created. In other words, without us it wouldn't be a them. And you know something else, we sixty and seventy somethings read the same internet postings and online researchers that our younger counterparts do...we actually are smarter while being kinder to each other.
It really come down to respect for others. The very fabric of respect/decency toward others in humanity is being breached and wearing thin. Our social norms has changed. The question is what do we do about it to maintain a even playing field?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:37 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,663,044 times
OP: Trust your feelings. If you felt disrespected, and that he was condescending, then you are probably right. Some people are passive-aggressive. He might have some unresolved issues that he is projecting onto you. It wasn't nice, and it was not respectful to speak to you in that manner. It was unnecessary. He was treating you like a child. Not cool.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:29 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
I felt like he was condescending. I don't know. Maybe I just overreacted, which seems to be the general consensus here.
Maybe. Maybe not.

However, I don’t think a son or daughter challenging a statement, offering a different point of view, pointing out the obvious, etc. etc. to a parent is inherently disrespectful. IMO, it’s the delivery that’s important.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 AM

23,353 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Maybe. Maybe not.

However, I don’t think a son or daughter challenging a statement, offering a different point of view, pointing out the obvious, etc. etc. to a parent is inherently disrespectful. IMO, it’s the delivery that’s important.
The very aspect of the story none of us can hear. We also don't have the backstory about this relationship. After reading the enhanced account I don't get the impression anyone was being particularly disrespectful or rude. OP I also think you are overreacting a little bit...seeing conspiracies where none exist.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-21-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-21-2020, 12:26 PM

484 posts, read 199,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I'm curious about the ages of your kids. If they are in their early 20s, you may find that they become more considerate toward you as they mature.
They are 39, 36, and 32. I am finding this is pretty normal for parents my age with adult children their ages. There is a lack of respect that we accorded our parents, and in turn expect from our children. It's not there.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Sunset7 View Post
I have to jump in here...my son and daughter constantly disrespect me by correcting my thinking process and my social behavior expectations. People I am 75 years old and if you are in my age range...we did pretty good relating to each other, making good life decisions, expecting to be treated civilly. Yes we grew up in the age of belief that customer service is paramount in the global workplace. What happened? Social networking!, internet technology, social behavioral changes! that's what happened. The old mores are not important anymore and Yes our children feel they are soooo much smarter than we are because of the above. But it is all relative...we were smarter because we (our generation) promoted the platforms for all of the interventions above to be created. In other words, without us it wouldn't be a them. And you know something else, we sixty and seventy somethings read the same internet postings and online researchers that our younger counterparts do...we actually are smarter while being kinder to each other.
It really come down to respect for others. The very fabric of respect/decency toward others in humanity is being breached and wearing thin. Our social norms has changed. The question is what do we do about it to maintain a even playing field?
Thank you! You "get it." This was not about what I did or didn't do right. It is about the way my children feel they can talk down to me. Thanks for understanding.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: Trust your feelings. If you felt disrespected, and that he was condescending, then you are probably right. Some people are passive-aggressive. He might have some unresolved issues that he is projecting onto you. It wasn't nice, and it was not respectful to speak to you in that manner. It was unnecessary. He was treating you like a child. Not cool.
Thank you.
I called him a little while ago and we talked about what happened. He and his brother had stayed up into the wee hours of the morning, drinking, and he had only had about 3 hours of sleep, so he wasn't his best self. He admitted that he hadn't been very kind to me and that he had also been very short with his little boy. We cleared the air and when he explained that he just really didn't want us to, as a family, sit around and badmouth people, it made more sense to me.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:37 PM

My original question was only about whether other people have kids that disrespect them.
It wasn't about what you think I did wrong, although many of you felt the need to tell me.
I found many of the responses amusing because of this and I can see many of you have issues of your own to deal with.

Thanks to the people who actually answered my question and didn't take it upon themselves to judge me. I appreciate your honest answers even if they disagreed with me.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
Thank you! You "get it." This was not about what I did or didn't do right. It is about the way my children feel they can talk down to me. Thanks for understanding.
But you never did say how he talked down to you, so I'm not sure how anyone can actually answer that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships