Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 10:57 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

You could always stick a gift card to where they're registered for a token amount in the card, if you send one. It doesn't have to be substantial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 11:28 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It’s not a question of should or shouldn’t tho....it’s a question of wanting to. That’s what a gift is.
OP was asking if giving a gift was expected. So yes, there was an element of should or shouldn't.

There shouldn't be, but there was.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
BUT there are ppl that genuinely wish others well or like to congratulate them even if they are more work acquaintances than close friend. A small gift does that...especially if you can’t attend or you don’t want to. I have relatives I barely know in Arizona...but I would still want to send them a wedding gift, if they invited us..tho I know we wouldn’t go to the wedding.
That would be a gift given out of a genuine desire to wish someone well. That's different than what's being discussed here, which is a gift given out of some sense of obligation or expectation.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:48 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I don't like going to the weddings of people I know, so I would pass on the wedding and the gift for an acquaintance.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:28 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I have mixed feelings on wedding gifts. I've been told that you should pay whatever the cost of the plate/meal you are eating is. This seems so vague. If someone gets married at an Elks Club vs the Ritz the cost of the gift should be different then? Clearly the meal at the ritz will cost more. Basically I've been told that the amount I should give to people is around $250. In some ways it feels tacky. I get that it's a gift and it's to help people get started in life...however many couples I see get married are doing quite well in life, probably better than many of their wedding guests.

I think that's where the whole idea of wedding gifts came from-helping people get started in life. Back in the day it was young people in their early 20's getting married who really probably didn't have much unless they came from a wealthy family. That has changed and most people don't get married until they are financially set.

Overall i just feel like wedding gifts can be awkward. I know plenty of people who simply haven't been able to afford to go to a wedding or be in a wedding (and perhaps some of them really just didn't want to foot the bills, but it goes add up!). These days there are bachelor/ette parties, showers, sometimes engagement parties, dress/shoe buying and probably money on a hotel.

i guess this is part of the reason some people dread weddings. If it's someone close to you I'm sure it's exciting but the cost can still be a lot.

And yes, I know having a wedding costs a lot too...but that's a choice people make when they have a big party for anything really.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That would be a gift given out of a genuine desire to wish someone well. That's different than what's being discussed here, which is a gift given out of some sense of obligation or expectation.

Quote:
OP was asking if giving a gift was expected. So yes, there was an element of should or shouldn't.

It’s the same thing IMO. I’m saying that it’s super sad that gift giving has to come down to should or shouldn'ts....because that’s not what a gift is IMO. Give a gift because you want to...or don’t. Gifts aren’t obligations.

Katnan brought up not wanting to give a gift to somebody that she didn’t know & the O.P. said that she didn’t really know the couple. I’ve been invited to a lot of weddings from ppl at work that I didn’t know that well & I have family in Arizona I don’t know too. I would send a gift even if I didn’t go....because I want to, not because of an obligation that is being discussed here. Tbh, what bride & groom would want a gift from somebody that had to put so much fight into it or was only doing it because they felt obligated. Hearing ppl talk like this makes me so happy my husband & I got married on an island...tho I like to think our family & friends are warmer than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You could always stick a gift card to where they're registered for a token amount in the card, if you send one. It doesn't have to be substantial.

Ita....BUT there are some ppl that are totally adamant about not sending a gift or a card.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 05-03-2021 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It’s the same thing IMO. I’m saying that it’s super sad that gift giving has to come down to should or shouldn'ts....because that’s not what a gift is IMO. Give a gift because you want to...or don’t. Gifts aren’t obligations.
You seem to be under the impression that I'm saying something different? That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying.

Quote:
Katnan brought up not wanting to give a gift to somebody that she didn’t know & the O.P. said that she didn’t really know the couple. I’ve been invited to a lot of weddings from ppl at work that I didn’t know that well & I have family in Arizona I don’t know too. I would send a gift even if I didn’t go....because I want to, not because of an obligation that is being discussed here. Tbh, what bride & groom would want a gift from somebody that had to put so much fight into it or was only doing it because they felt obligated. Hearing ppl talk like this makes me so happy my husband & I got married on an island...tho I like to think our family & friends are warmer than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you want to give gifts to people you don't know well, that's totally your choice. Not everyone feels so magnanimous. I wouldn't give a gift to someone I don't know well because there is no obligation, and it's not typically a gift I feel called to make.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
BUT there are ppl that genuinely wish others well or like to congratulate them even if they are more work acquaintances than close friend. A small gift does that...especially if you can’t attend or you don’t want to. I have relatives I barely know in Arizona...but I would still want to send them a wedding gift, if they invited us..tho I know we wouldn’t go to the wedding.
It's a nice thought I guess.

The problem is, unless you gift from their "list" you are wasting your money and effort. You gift off the list, it will be in their first yard sale.

I refuse to waste my hard earned money on gifting people who already have too much stuff.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:

If you want to give gifts to people you don't know well, that's totally your choice.

Tho if one of us knows them well enough that we were invited to their wedding....yes ofc I would send a gift. But it’s not like I would send a gift to a stranger online or on the street.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's a nice thought I guess.

The problem is, unless you gift from their "list" you are wasting your money and effort. You gift off the list, it will be in their first yard sale.

I refuse to waste my hard earned money on gifting people who already have too much stuff.

But that’s just it...it’s the thought & the wish behind it, not the gift or how much it cost. Even a card with a short personal note says you took the time to wish them love & happiness.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 05-03-2021 at 01:12 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Tho if one of us knows them well enough that we were invited to their wedding....yes ofc I would send a gift. But it’s not like I would send a gift to a stranger online or on the street.
Receiving an invitation is not an indication of whether it's the kind of relationship that would make me want to give a gift. I've received a number of wedding invitations from people I am not close to, and frankly don't know particularly well, but it appeared they invited everyone they knew because perhaps they view their nuptials as an opportunity for a gift grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships