Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 10:41 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

My daughter is at an age where lots of her friends are getting married. She is getting really tired of what is a shallow arms race.

The most powerful word in the English language is 'No.' As in, 'No, I don't have that kind of scratch.'

Stick to your guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 11:25 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,030,467 times
Threaten to drop out and just give her a Congratulations greeting card and a check if these demands continue.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Let the idiot pay for you, go have fun, don't pay her back.

Joking aside, no is no.

Best of luck.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:26 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
You have some really messed up friends and family. No one decides how to spend the money I earn but me. If your family is so offended, they can pony up the fee.
yes - they should help her out!

Old 09-21-2021, 12:29 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
I am trying to come up with the money in a month's time so I can go, but part of me doesn't appreciate being told I have to pay up. I almost don't want to go.

What do I do?
I’m not trying to be rude at all because this situation sounds very frustrating for sure.

However, can you:
  • Sell something or a few smaller items that you don’t need, like on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace?
  • Return an item or items you’ve recently bought?
  • Sign up for DoorDash or the like, and take that on as a second temporary job just until you make $150?
  • Donate plasma?
  • Participate in a marketing-related focus group exercise?
  • Answer a ‘help wanted’ ad for some type of odd job, ideally at a business or some other professional or semi-professional environment (might be kind of creepy to go to someone’s house alone to help them clean, etc)?

I understand it sucks especially considering you didn’t really want to do this activity anyway.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:47 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
You need to learn to say NO.

Second, why do you agree to be a bridesmaid if you do not have money aside for that event? Being a bridesmaid always costs you a quite some money.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:01 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh for goodness sakes. Just say NO. Your family is being irrational so ignore them - you revealed nothing that is not a perfectly logical assumption anyway. These bridezilla functions are absurd. Keep standing your ground! There is NO way I would agree to such unnecessary expenses. And I CAN afford it.
I think you make an excellent point. This is unreasonable request and expense, even if you have the money to spare.

I am only guessing, but I would be Mandi isn't the only one not thrilled about this request. Someone else's wedding and festivities should not be any sort of financial drain on their friends.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:34 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
I want to add say no.

Just think there are some wealthy people who do things like wear a mother in law's wedding gown, keep the party to a small family event, no significant bridesmaids and all that stuff.

Someone we know is having a simple destination wedding. Due to worries about covid and travel, they just got dressed up and had the ceremony at city hall and then had a fun afternoon with just themselves. The family is still going to the destination but it will be a big party and not a stress filled event. Simple.

Weddings can be simple events with meaning instead of out of control events.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:15 PM

349 posts, read 244,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Second, why do you agree to be a bridesmaid if you do not have money aside for that event? Being a bridesmaid always costs you a quite some money.
While agreeing to be a bridesmaid may require extra money, that’s for the dress, hair/makeup, and then a gift. The bridal shower, bachelorette, any extra events are that… extra. There is no requirement to participate, though generally expected. Whoever is organizing these extra events needs to speak with ALL bridesmaids to address budgeting. $150 for a bus (per person?! Did I read that right?!) was not something the OP was obviously taking into account when agreeing to be a bridesmaid.

My friend’s bachelorette was an afternoon at a mini golf/laser tag place. Maybe $20/person? Not including food? My bachelorette was more an afternoon at the zoo (I only had two bridesmaids though, so it was low key). You can have an event without forcing attendees to spend an arm and a leg!

Sorry, had to respond to that because the price of the bus is like the price of a decent but not over the top bridesmaid dress. It would like be asking her the equivalent to buy two dresses…

Old 09-21-2021, 03:40 PM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I’m not trying to be rude at all because this situation sounds very frustrating for sure.

However, can you:
  • Sell something or a few smaller items that you don’t need, like on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace?
  • Return an item or items you’ve recently bought?
  • Sign up for DoorDash or the like, and take that on as a second temporary job just until you make $150?
  • Donate plasma?
  • Participate in a marketing-related focus group exercise?
  • Answer a ‘help wanted’ ad for some type of odd job, ideally at a business or some other professional or semi-professional environment (might be kind of creepy to go to someone’s house alone to help them clean, etc)?

I understand it sucks especially considering you didn’t really want to do this activity anyway.

I had to laugh. Selling plasma so you can ride a party bus. This country is going to the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships